Exercise motivation

Options
inkdm0m
inkdm0m Posts: 21 Member
I am 3 weeks post vsg, feeling more energy, doing well...however by the end of the day I'm exhausted by my daily routine, I want to get myself to the gym...but can't drag myself there. I walk during the day and get my steps in, and I want to get back into the gym routine...just burnt out by the end of the day...any feedback? Thanks!❤️

Replies

• anbrdr
    anbrdr Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Yeah, energy level was kind of hard to fight. Once I just owned up to it and went, it got better. Ended up losing a lot of my weight progress, which sucks, but I'll catch back up. Set your goal small, 20 minutes of elliptical or something.
  • rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I agree. I was more successful with my gym attendance when I set a goal of number of visits. I intentionally lowered my intensity levels and found the if I left less exhausted, I was more likely to go more often. Getting myself to the door was the hardest part. Once I got there, i would generally have a good workout.

Make it a priority and even if you do less, get the gym trip as the measurable and I bet things will go better than you expect once you get there.

Rob
  • cmchandler74
    cmchandler74 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    If you're still adjusting to energy drain, start small. I started by taking a walk around the block. Then I mapped out a mile in my neighborhood. Then I added in dipping into all of the cul-de-sacs. Then it just wasn't enough, so I started walking at the park nearby. Then I started walking TO the park nearby. Now I'm up to walking/running pretty much 6 miles each day, and it all started by building up my endurance.
  • akindofmagick
    akindofmagick Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    3 weeks post op I was way too tired for the gym! Just getting in my steps and some 3 pound hand weights was enough. Was ready for the gym at 6 weeks, but still tender in places on my stomach, so was careful.
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    Start by walking around the block and go up from there. You must move and any movement is better than none. I had RNY January 19th and started walking January 31st. It was hell, but after 2 weeks, it started easing up. Keep trying!
  • inkdm0m
    inkdm0m Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I'm tired of being tired, but you're right...better some than none at this point!