LC mug cake that doesn't taste like a hockey puck?

Options
boohooboo
boohooboo Posts: 51 Member
after 4 weeks on induction, i am jonesing bad for a chocolate mug cake. i googled around and found a recipe, which i tried. it produced a cake that tasted literally like nothing and looked like a hockey puck. i can't really muck around with my own recipe that i use -- it involved nutella -- but before i play recipe roulette, was wondering if anyone out there had a tried and true one -- not a "oh, this looks good" one but one you actually have made and eaten.

thanks, and please don't judge. :)

Replies

• boohooboo
    Options
    incidentally, for anyone curious, this is the recipe i tried. it was awful, and i mean awful not in a "oh, it tastes like a modified version of chocolate cake for which you might cut some slack" -- it tasted like a hockey puck, and no amount of covering it up with faux choc syrup or whipped cream was worth eating that hot mess. (apologies to anyone out there who enjoys this.)

http://www.sugarfreemom.com/recipes/1-minute-sugar-free-chocolate-mug-cake-low-carb-dairy-gluten-free/
  • JessicaLCHF
    JessicaLCHF Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    http://bakingandlosing.blogspot.com/2011/09/1-minute-muffin.html?m=1 I've made this one several times and it always works well. Decent fiber count too. I think the baking powder and not cooking it too long (it will cook a little as resting) are key.
  • JessicaLCHF
    Options
    For chocolate just use cocoa and maybe a little cinnamon instead of those spice cake spices. You can try this one too. I haven't yet but a friend loves it.

http://pinterest.com/pin/A6qNOQAQQDYGRpzBmdcAAAA/

• deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
  • boohooboo
    Options
    thanks for the help, and thanks for not yelling at me for wanting a piece of cake. i know it isn't perfect, but if i can eat a certain number of carbs and it works from a calorie perspective, i'm willing to give it a go :)
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Our sweet treat is a chocolate "shake". 8 ounces HWC, 8 ounces unsweetened almond milk or coconut milk, 1 Tbs. cocoa powder, sugar free hershey's syrup, 8 ice cubes. Blend. Makes 2 glasses.

Or for vanilla, skip the chocolate and add a little sugar substitute & vanilla. Or you can skip the vanilla and add berries.

• JennyToy1
    JennyToy1 Posts: 26 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    here is mine:
    goodnessgreen.com/easy-coconut-flour-chocolate-mug-cake-paleo-and-gf/

ETA:
    i do not use the honey, i use stevia & sugar free vanilla torani
    i do not use the coconut milk/almond milk would probably be better if i did. i use cream sometimes.
  • JessicaLCHF
    Options
    boohooboo wrote: »
    thanks for the help, and thanks for not yelling at me for wanting a piece of cake. i know it isn't perfect, but if i can eat a certain number of carbs and it works from a calorie perspective, i'm willing to give it a go :)

Criticizing is almost always counterproductive when unsolicited IMO. Hope you find a good sub you like! :)
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    I have made this one several times, and i like it. It tastes like an actual cake. I have made it exactly as the recipe specifies (but with stevia instead of splenda), and I have also substituted Jordan's Skinny Syrup in salted caramel for the sweetener.

It's good plain, but even better with the whipped heavy cream (but so is everything)

http://www.ruled.me/keto-chocolate-cake-mug/
  • 21deadmonkeys
    21deadmonkeys Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    MoiAussi93 wrote: »
    I have made this one several times, and i like it. It tastes like an actual cake. I have made it exactly as the recipe specifies (but with stevia instead of splenda), and I have also substituted Jordan's Skinny Syrup in salted caramel for the sweetener.

It's good plain, but even better with the whipped heavy cream (but so is everything)

This is my go to chocolate fix
  • JessicaLCHF
    Options
    MoiAussi93 wrote: »

I've never had a bad recipe from ruled me. That guy is awesomeness.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Okay, @MoiAussi93, @21deadmonkeys, and @JessicaLCHF ... Crunch time. How in the blue blazes did y'all make this: http://www.ruled.me/keto-chocolate-cake-mug/ edible? It is probably the single worst thing I've eaten in years! Followed the recipe exactly, except the sweetener, but subbed stevia, as I always use. Even buried in sweetened whipped cream after it was done was not salvageable.

I love dark, bitter chocolate. It wasn't a sweetness thing. It was texture. Dry as heck. Grainy. And just the flavor was just....blech. I couldn't even eat it. I ended up throwing it in the garbage. It was utterly disgusting.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,958 Member
    Options
    That was me with the keto pancakes everyone raves about. REVOLTING. I took one bite, and GAGGED. Not exaggerating. I will never try them again. That's why I rarely make keto or low-carb versions of sweet things. The texture is weird to the point of causing me nausea.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I'm working to cut out sweeteners, at least sweet treats, but I'd been really wanting sort of cake lately, and not total off plan junk, so I had wanted to try it... BLECH. What a waste of butter and almond flour!
  • boohooboo
    Options
    knit, i, too, tried it today. i was so hungry, i ate it with a little heavy cream poured on top (my nutribullet needs to get washed and i am l a z y right now.) it was, er, not fab. very dry (hence, the heavy cream.) in fact, i made the mistake of answering the phone right after taking a bite and i nearly choked on it.

ah well. maybe we will figure it out. or, maybe i will just go to my old standby -- my lucerne watchin' carbs ice cream pop. yeah, i know. but anyone gets between me and my one treat and i will hurt them, lol.
  • AngInCanada
    AngInCanada Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I make the one from ruled.me quite often. It's delicious!

• AreteAndWhimsy
    AreteAndWhimsy Posts: 150 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Here's mine, adapted from my nutella mugcake. The secret? I use dark block chocolate (which has real sugar) and no sweetener.

1 serving dark chocolate, size is based on brand and content. (70% to 85% is 9-11 carbs worth, depending)
    1.5 Tbs coconut or other oil of choice. Unsalted butter can be used, but salted is too salty.

Microwave in mug until chocolate is melted.

Add 2 tsp cocoa powder, 1 Tbsp HWC, and .5 tsp vanilla extract and mix until smooth.

Add 1/4c almond flour and stir to combine, then beat in 1 egg. I use medium eggs, but I suspect any size will work.

Microwave on high one minute, then in 20 second bursts for up to a minute more, until the center is set. Too long and it will dry out.

Serves two. I can't even imagine eating one of these by myself. Very dense and moist. We often serve with more HWC poured over.
  • boohooboo
    Options
    can't wait to try that, arete -- i am a huge fan of the nutella mug cake recipe i found online and have missed it since going LC. will definitely give this a try. thanks for sharing.
  • AreteAndWhimsy
    AreteAndWhimsy Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    boohooboo wrote: »
    can't wait to try that, arete -- i am a huge fan of the nutella mug cake recipe i found online and have missed it since going LC. will definitely give this a try. thanks for sharing.

Me too. Mr. Whimsy and I shared a mug cake several times a week, and it was really the only carb treat he lamented once we switched. I tried valiantly to make LC versions from recipes, but hockey pucks or sulfuric eggy grossness was the result every time. I am allergic to artificial sweeteners, so most of the recipes were unworkable. I finally just had to blind experiment. I may still tweak the recipe, less or more oil, more cocoa powder, etc, but this works well for us.

I also have made cheesy mug scones in a similar manner with sharp cheddar and marmite in place of the chocolate. Now -those- are tasty!