The waiting is the hardest part.... (waiting on new blood test results)

Options
2»

Replies

• sssnell
    sssnell Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    mkwrose wrote: »
    I just got my results but still waiting on note from doc. I thought she ordered a full panel but it was just T4 and TSH. My T4 was normal (1.4) and my TSH was pretty darn high (13.4). Why/How does this happen? My values are usually normal for T4 and high for T3 and high for TSH. Seems is TSH was that high T4 and T3 would both be low??? This has never been explained to me.

P.S. OP sorry to hijack, and that is great that you have such a good doc!

Assuming this is Free T4 at 1.4?

Your TSH is high because it's signalling that you need more T4. If your total T4 came in at 1.4 you're either not producing enough, or there is a competing hormone, usually estrogen.
    It's cool. Hijack away! I wish I could offer insight, but I only have surface-level understanding of thyroid numbers. Will you share what your doc says when you get her note?

• sssnell
    sssnell Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I just switched from synthroid to Armour. I was glad to read about supplements. Dr. Just gave me script for prescription vitamin D And estrogen /DHEA/testosterone . I hope this is the ticket
  • Can_Do_Gal
    Can_Do_Gal Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    [/quote] These have been where my levels have been since I was diagnosed in 2011. High TSH, normal T4 and high T3, each and every time I have my panels done. My doc is the one that told me to not take it when I am hyper, (constantly sweating when everyone around me is cold, crying and anxious for no reason, racing heart at all times, etc. Not mild hyper symptoms). This blood panel was done so that my doc can see where we need to adjust to. I am taking Tirosint now so she couldn't just tell me to take half a pill since those are gel caps. And Tirosint is expensive so I can't just keep going and paying for multiple doses.[/quote]

YMMV, but Tirosint made me feel hyper even at the same TSH, Free T4 and Free T3 levels as while on other T4. I've talked to others who say the same. I lasted only a couple weeks on it - just felt awful. IMHO, someone who feels hyper frequently might really benefit from switching to Synthroid or Levoxyl for their T4.
  • CricketClover
    CricketClover Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Can_Do_Gal wrote: »
    These have been where my levels have been since I was diagnosed in 2011. High TSH, normal T4 and high T3, each and every time I have my panels done. My doc is the one that told me to not take it when I am hyper, (constantly sweating when everyone around me is cold, crying and anxious for no reason, racing heart at all times, etc. Not mild hyper symptoms). This blood panel was done so that my doc can see where we need to adjust to. I am taking Tirosint now so she couldn't just tell me to take half a pill since those are gel caps. And Tirosint is expensive so I can't just keep going and paying for multiple doses.[/quote]

YMMV, but Tirosint made me feel hyper even at the same TSH, Free T4 and Free T3 levels as while on other T4. I've talked to others who say the same. I lasted only a couple weeks on it - just felt awful. IMHO, someone who feels hyper frequently might really benefit from switching to Synthroid or Levoxyl for their T4.
    [/quote]

Thanks! I have been reading such as well. That since it absorbs so much better than the tablets that usually need a lower dose. My doc did lower my dose but I still have hyper symptoms while taking it so I am going to switch back to my Synthroid that I have on file at the pharmacy and see how that goes. I go back next month to see where I am yet again.

I have been thinking for the past few years that my red, hot, flushed, tingly face was due to bad skin, I now realize that it has been my thyroid meds (doesn't matter the brand for this symptom) all this time. I can take my med, an hour later red face, on the days I don't take it, no red face. I now question my dosage since being diagnosed in 2011.
  • Can_Do_Gal
    Options
    Since thyroid treatment, my whole head gets hot & sweaty with the least exercise - like grocery shopping. It's disgusting. I'm a bit more hot overall, but it's insane on my head. I've met some other thyroid patients with the same issue. My cancer markers have been so good, my TSH is unmeaurable, and I've had insomnia since my thyroidectomy, so my endo decided to try dropping my T4 dose a couple years early. (Standard thyroid cancer treatment is TSH suppression for 5 years.) My T4 is down to .9 something, my TSH has yet to respond, and my head is still a sweaty mess. I am sleeping better, though. My endo, who really does care, just shrugs & says science just doesn't truly understand fully how all this works, & he has no idea what to do. Anyway, it might not be your dose. It might be an unlucky side effect.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    @Can_Do_Gal Sounds like you have an excellent doc and they are keeping you cancer free. This was not the case a decade ago and TSH suppression was only a theory used by some of the cutting edge endos. How much water are you drinking and does drinking more help?

The problem is that science has been focused on isolation and examination, this is not how hormones behave in vivo - they are constantly interacting with other hormones and other interactive receptors. Unfortunately this foundation is required to build upon the next phase - syntrophy. So what we know is based on how these behave in a lab, but have not achieved the next great leap to gain understanding on how hormones behave in the body. Many theories and suspicions, but nothing solid and most of the data we have is amazingly biased towards incident demographics (female, ages 40-70).
  • Can_Do_Gal
    Options
    CSARdiver, I agree. Btw, what you said is pretty much what my endo said. He's my 4th in these 3 years, and since I found him, that Alice in Wonderland feeling is going away, since he doesn't deny my reality.

My natural habit is to drink more water than most. I'm concentrating on upping my intake now (128 oz yesterday) , and I haven't noticed any difference. Increasing water intake might help excessive sweating?
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    @Can_Do_Gal Awesome news about the new endo. So many bad docs out there who don't stay current.

I'm not going off any scientific evidence on the water intake, but from personal observation. I found that once I upped my intake to ~120oz/day a lot of my symptoms went away, the temperature intolerance and excessive sweating in particular.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    I have heat intolerance, yet drink 3 liters of water per day. Ice water, this time of year.
  • Can_Do_Gal
    Options
    Well....talk about motivation to make sure to drink water! Gosh it would be nice not to be a sweaty beet. Thanks for the tip, I'll try it. (Crossed fingers.)

I do feel lucky to have this endo. Too bad they all aren't like him.