Getting to Know You...

Options
13»

Replies

• anbrdr
    anbrdr Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I'm Tony from central NC. I'm in the pre-surgery run now. Rex Healthcare has been a pleasure to deal with, and their pre-surgery routine is far more comprehensive than many others I have researched. I still have a handful of appointments to make before submitting my pre-authorization.
    I've already lost 12# over the last few weeks by working out, and prioritizing my eating habits. Salads and protein shakes have been my friends.
  • hbraman
    hbraman Posts: 4
    Options
    Hello all! I'm Heather, i'm from Michigan. I was sleeved on 10-14-14 and I am down a total of 95lbs. Some of that (about 30lbs) I lost pre surgery just by tracking my food and cutting out pop and Monster energy drinks! I am about 20lbs away from my goal weight and I am hoping with Spring finally being here I can start doing more outside exercising!
    I am curious if anyone is having issues with bloating/gassiness? I am struggling still to get all my water in and I am wondering if that may have something to do with it....
    Thanks!
  • mandimariegarcia
    mandimariegarcia Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hola! I'm Mandi from Houston Tx 35 yrs old and I'm 2 yrs and 4months out from gastric sleeve.
    sw:212lbs
    lw:128lbs
    cw:148lbs
  • b18labontefan
    b18labontefan Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hello I just had surgery 4-28-15 and am healing well. I am looking for motivation and support and love to read about the successes with the gastric sleeve. I am down 25 lbs since the beginning of the pre-op diet 3 weeks ago. Any advice is welcome! But something that surprised me was that starting with fluids after surgery my stomach sounds like a garbage disposal when food hits it..... Is this normal?
  • kcorrentern
    kcorrentern Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am Kristy! I've been approved for surgery and anticipate a mid to end of July date!!!! I'm 5'6" and 230lbs. I can't wait to have surgery. I have struggled with my weight my entire life. I'm looking to join a group for support, advice and recipe trading! Oh! I live in south Mississippi!
  • lifenfast4ward
    lifenfast4ward Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi, my name is Liz, I'm from Texas and my surgery is coming up June 2nd!! I'm excited to start this new journey, in the past I've tried diet after diet, I have lost and regained that has been my cycle my entire adult life. I'm having this surgery to regain my life!!
  • ssbeadlady
    ssbeadlady Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone I have had a serious weight issue all my life. Several years back my highest weight was 497 and through WW and NS I have lost down to 352. However now it seems that due to age and disability my weight has slowed down to a crawl. I thought that at this time the WLS is the way to go so I could finally get the back, hip, arm and hand surgery I need.
    I had my first consultation with the Dr on Wednesday. He stated my insurance requires a 6 month supervised Diet despite the fact that I have been on Nutrisystem for a year. During that time I have only lost 44. When the Dr told me about the 6 month supervised diet he stated I should continue with NS. On Monday I got a call that I am suppose to see the Nutritionist. I have no idea what to expect but I hope the results will be better than just 44 pounds.
    Anyhow it looks like I will be having the sleeve but it will not take place until 2016. I am looking for friends who are starting out with the 6 months supervised diet and others who have been through the sleeve surgery.
  • wbaecke
    wbaecke Posts: 1 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I have no idea if I am posting correctly, but here goes.
    My name is Wendy and I live in Cypress, TX. I had my sleeve surgery on March 8, 2013. For two years I had no problems and lost over 100 pounds. In February of this year, I started having some major burping issues, gas issues and then severe pain. It hurt to eat, drink, move, anything. Just a couple weeks ago after having every test possible (no really), my sleeve re-sleeved (because all the air had cause a rare "bubble" that no one could explain only at the top of my sleeve) in May 2015, they (my GI (4th GI in fact) and Surgeon) have finally decided I have "sleeve syndrome" which is rare and not widely known yet bc it doesn't happen to many folks. (Basically for some unknown reason my body has now decided to almost reject my sleeve... Oh well. It is what it is!

I am down to my goal weight and on medication to help my stomach intake and digest food so I still am happy with my sleeve. I prayed for a long time before I had it done (2 years) so I know it was right for me. Hopefully, as my body rebuilds muscle and I can eat more I will be healthy (and I hope I can maintain my weight!)

Anyway- that's my story. I have to take it slow right now, since for over 4 months I was taking in less than 200 cals a day and zero vitamins. I was wondering though, what is y'all's average calorie intake for the day? I can't remember what it should be for a post op 2 year out (kind of) since all of my mess. I am still only able to consume about 600 maybe- but I haven't started to try and work out (have to start with yoga/Pilates and zero cardio for at least 6 months).

Thanks for letting me join the group!

• LindaFromNH
    LindaFromNH Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I am new to the group and just popping in to say "Hi". I am in the process of getting sleeved and am meeting with the psychologist this week. I look forward to this journey. I am looking for others who have had or are having the surgery for support and guidance. Please friend me if you are looking for support on this journey of ours! I am from New Hampshire. I am 62 years young, with some health issues that will get better after I have this surgery. I look forward to getting to know you! Friend me please!!
  • KillingFatAimee
    KillingFatAimee Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My name is Aimee. I've submitted to insurance and waiting for an answer. Even if they approve my surgery, I'm probably looking at getting surgery sometime in November because I still have to have a sleep study done. They won't set my date until then. I'm looking forward to getting to know everyone.
  • Seohawkins
    Seohawkins Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My name is James. I just had the surgery done on August 31st 2015. My insurance didn't cover it, so I paid for it myself. My surgeon, who is one of the best in Colorado, told me that patients who pay for it themselves see a higher success rate than any other. It's what you call 'skin in the game'. I'm on day four, liquid diet, and between the water and my protein shakes it hasn't been easy. Something like this never is. You don't just have surgery and lose weight. My recommendation is to procure a solid liquid vitamin immediately and begin introducing it into your system. I personally use Nature's Way 'Alive'. Very highly rated, tastes like *kitten*, but that's why you have to mix it. What's good for you isn't necessarily coated in sugar and love at every step. I'm open for questions, so please ask.
  • laols01
    laols01 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Hey ladies, little late to the game it looks like. I'm just beginning my pre-op journey...consult, weight loss, etc. Shooting for surgery in the spring (April or May). I've struggled with weight my whole life, and am an insulin resistant PCOS'er. I'm Laura, 27, from Saint Paul, MN.
  • kimbetat
    kimbetat Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Is anyone active on this board anymore? Looks quiet and so 2014!!! ;)

I'm getting sleeved this Monday on December 14. Mostely excited...a little anxious - especially hearing about stories like wbaecke above! Eeeeek!!

Looking for folks to chat it up with...I'm doing alright with the pre-op diet.
  • badhair56
    badhair56 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    there's a few of us that still check in from time to time but most are on some of the other discussion groups daily
  • dsm6380
    dsm6380 Posts: 6 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Hi, My name is Dawn and I live in Claymont, DE. I've been in MFP for a while, but I'm new to the group. I got sleeved Dec 1, 2014 and I'm approx. 90 lbs down. Most of that was lost in the first six months and then things slowed down considerably. I'm in the process of trying to get back on track, which is hard now that I can eat everything again. I'll do it, but I have to resist the urge to go back to all the bad habits that got me to over 400 lbs. to start with. Anybody know where I can get my brain sleeved? It's become a head game now. ;) I'm still really happy with my sleeve, I just wish I'd done it about 20 yrs earlier, but what can I say, I'm a late bloomer. o:) I kept telling myself that I could do it on my own, which obviously I couldn't. I finally got a clue and realized that if I kept doing what I'd always done...I'd keep getting the same result I always got. Sometimes, it takes me a minute to catch on. :/ Anyway, my first project in the back on track program is to make sure I get on MFP and track every day. My other problem is making sure I work out. Since I HATE to exercise, that's a real struggle. I know it's necessary if I'm to lose any more weight, and I've done pretty good for the last couple of months. I've been on the treadmill or recumbent bike more days than not, so I'll get there. So, good luck everyone. I'm going to look for more back on track info.
  • LonnaRox
    LonnaRox Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I'm in Las Vegas and was sleeved 3/30/16. I'm looking for support and tips on this journey. Great board!
  • edhcah
    edhcah Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone....I'm Eric. I'm from Connecticut and was sleeved 12/30/15. Awesome experience :) I'm already down 90lbs and hadn't even started any exercise, LOL. Started weight training today...kicked my butt.