hot flashs

Options
10 years now with my friend, the hot flash....tell my your story.

Replies

• jessicablair712
    jessicablair712 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Mine started about a 8 months ago i saw my doc and he gave me HRT and i've not had a hot flash since originally i did not want HRT cause of all the stories about cancer but it was needed to determine if i was perimenopausal and aparently i am my piriods are getting very light and short too i'm only 40 but i did have the flowing piriods too but they seem to have faded. :)
  • Nachise
    Nachise Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    They are a constant in my life. Now that the weather is getting hotter, they have become more frequent and intense. When I'm at the gym, they make me look like I'm really working out hard...well, I DO work out hard! LOL
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Eating low carb has helped me reduce the severity and frequency. When I eat something higher carb, I flash. Consistently eating higher carb has me up in the middle of the night with various symptoms, rapid heartbeat, heat, having to pee, can't go back to sleep.
  • TheGaudyMagpie
    TheGaudyMagpie Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I had them for a few months starting this year, with them coming nearly nonstop about four months ago. However, like Jessica, I am now on HRT and no longer have them.
  • tkaysmiles
    tkaysmiles Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I am not sure if they are hot flashes or just hot. But I can't cool off now. Even at night with a low thermostat and a window unit and fan I'm sweating. It is miserable. Working out has been hard too because I get SO hot!!
  • klkarlen
    klkarlen Posts: 4,366 Member
    Options
    I've lost track of how long I've been dealing with them, going to say 5 years now. Stress seems to be a trigger for me, and dealing with my elderly mother on a daily basis (she lives with me) is ramping up the stress levels. HRT is not an option for me due to breast cancer (20 years ago). I keep hoping they will go away some day.
  • tkaysmiles
    tkaysmiles Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I just made an appointment with a naturopath! I'm hoping this is my answer. I think I have other hormone stuff too along with the perimenopause. I just need some relief!
  • Monicagk78
    Monicagk78 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I've been having them for probably 8 years now. I was on HRT to start with and the hot flashes weren't bad at all. I went off HRT after about 4 years and the hot flashes came back with a vengeance. Mine are the worst first thing in the morning after I've showered and I'm blowdrying my hair. Sometimes I almost need to get back in the shower again! They also wake me up several times a week. I hate them with a passion. If anyone has any suggestions, I'd welcome them!
  • DigitalDiana
    DigitalDiana Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    My older sister has had a lot of luck drinking 2 cups of soy milk (that helps your body to produce estrogen) per day. She said the effects were almost immediate. This is my second week of drinking soy milk, and really I don't see a difference... anyone else try soy milk as a homeopathic cure?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    My older sister has had a lot of luck drinking 2 cups of soy milk (that helps your body to produce estrogen) per day. She said the effects were almost immediate. This is my second week of drinking soy milk, and really I don't see a difference... anyone else try soy milk as a homeopathic cure?

I don't drink soy milk per se (I do, but not exclusively), but I do eat edamame, and tofu quite a bit. I believe it does help.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of edamame because I like it.

My hot flashes were unbearable for a while. For months. Then they calmed down and maybe two weeks later I got my first period in months. And it was a monster period.

I don't know which is worse, the periods or the hot flashes.
  • meghanduprey
    meghanduprey Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    i'm only 34 and i've been dealing with them - mostly at night - for a few years now. i'll wake up soaked. it's so frustrating. i literally set my window unit to 65 and still get them! exploring bioidentical hormones to see if they might be a good option, anyone have experience with them?
  • Bikerchickmomma
    Bikerchickmomma Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Night sweats started when I was 40. I am 60 and about 2 years into "true" menopause (no periods). The hot flashes continue to accompany me. I truly believe they will stop someday. I have a stack of turtlenecks I haven't been able to wear for years....(too hot.) I am looking forward to using them in the future. My luck, the change in my body's temperature gauge will happen overnight and I'll go from tank tops to wearing multiple layers in all seasons, like all those other older ladies who never seem to be able to get warm.... So the question could be: "What's worse?"
  • lilsandling
    lilsandling Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I am trying vitex fruit or chaste tree as advised by my 90 year old Indian friend. HRT is not working like it used to and my Dr want me off them because I am over 50...he should suffer with the night sweats.