Diet supplements and hypothyroidism

Options
linux40
linux40 Posts: 127 Member
Hi all,
New to the group :)

I`m diagnosed with Hypothyroidsm (and Hashimotos) - and finding it really hard to lose weight.
It takes really long time to lose just a few pounds.
I used to be on levaxine (what you guys might call levothyroxine) - but it really didn`t do me any good. Too many side-effects and too easy to gain weight. Now I´ve changed my meds and am now using Armour Thyorid, and it`s so much better allready. Also, I know it will be easier to lose weight, as I´ve tried them before...(just switched to thyroxine, because where I live, Armour costs a fortune..but health really does come first, right..?)

Still, I`m wondering about trying some kind of metabolism-booster, apetitesuppressant or something that helps me stay away from to many carbs (and meals). I´ve read some reviews for Garcinia Cambognia and seen some good results, even on people with Hypothyrodism. Is it safe?
How about Leptigen -or something else to recommend?
Please let me know if some of you`ve had good experience with supplements.

Thank you! :)

Replies

• editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Never heard of either of those supplements. I'm less hungry when I use MFP's default protein & fiber goals as minimums, and ignore fat & carbs. It'll take trial & error to find what works for you.

I followed the advice in the Sexypants post: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1
  • SkinnyKerinny
    SkinnyKerinny Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    @linux40 I have struggled with carbs for so many years. The only way I've been able to deal with that is to not eat very many to begin with. Once I started doing much lower carbs (50 or so a day) then all cravings stopped almost instantly.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    I use good old fashioned caffeine to boost energy, or carbs, or sugar, but I had a thyroidectomy and no issues with energy now that I'm on Synthroid. I don't know of any effective supplement that has any measureable effects.

Welcome aboard!
  • linux40
    Options
    Thank you so much, all! Low energy is absolutely an issue, but the energy is way better on Armour than Thyroxine, so I wont complain really. Eating as few carbs as 50 a day....wow, I don`t think I`m able too...I`ll have to check into what you`re all saying, and find out what might work for me. I`m still eager to figure out if there`s any supplement that could work though. Caffeine is good for energy,though, I find that works on me too :)
    Thanks so much for your replies.
  • slieber
    slieber Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    I used garcinia for a while but it gave me really bad side effects.
  • toadqueen
    toadqueen Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I am not familiar with either supplement mentioned. I supplement with a probiotic, potassium, magnesium, selenium, a multi, and 10K vitamin D. My energy is improved since I started taking action in early June when I changed my diet to low carb and even more when I switched to keto a couple of weeks ago. I have Hashi's too and am taking 25 mg Synthroid (generic) and 5 mcg Cytomel (generic). I just started the T3 so I do not know if it has had any effect.
  • linux40
    Options
    slieber wrote: »
    That`s what I´m afraid of...did you lose any weight at all....? It still isn`t worth it if the side effects are bad though...

• linux40
    Options
    toadqueen wrote: »
    I am not familiar with either supplement mentioned. I supplement with a probiotic, potassium, magnesium, selenium, a multi, and 10K vitamin D. My energy is improved since I started taking action in early June when I changed my diet to low carb and even more when I switched to keto a couple of weeks ago. I have Hashi's too and am taking 25 mg Synthroid (generic) and 5 mcg Cytomel (generic). I just started the T3 so I do not know if it has had any effect.

I`m doing selenium, multi and D as well. Huge difference when starting up with selenium. Been thinking about probiotic, but never tried..yet. I know lots of Hypos have really good effect with low carb diets, but I just can`t do it. I "overdid" it once, for too long, so I´m kind of hesistant to put it mildly.

• CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Unless you are lactose intolerant yogurt is the best probiotic out there.

The low carb thing is just the resurgence of a fad. Why it's so successful is that people who were undisciplined are now following a routine. Doesn't really matter what the routine is. The reason most of these fail in long term is that elimination diets are simply unsustainable and go against human nature. We are designed to eat.
  • toadqueen
    Options
    I am doing the low-carb/keto based on food sensitivities, DNA analysis, and what has proven to work for me. It is not for everyone.
  • slieber
    Options
    linux40 wrote: »
    That`s what I´m afraid of...did you lose any weight at all....? It still isn`t worth it if the side effects are bad though...

I didn't lose any weight and had serious headaches and heart palpitations. For someone who normally has lower blood pressure, this was not good!
  • linux40
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    Unless you are lactose intolerant yogurt is the best probiotic out there.

The low carb thing is just the resurgence of a fad. Why it's so successful is that people who were undisciplined are now following a routine. Doesn't really matter what the routine is. The reason most of these fail in long term is that elimination diets are simply unsustainable and go against human nature. We are designed to eat.

Thanks for explaining. This makes sense to me! :)

• linux40
    Options
    linux40 wrote: »

I didn't lose any weight and had serious headaches and heart palpitations. For someone who normally has lower blood pressure, this was not good!

Sounds scary.....Won`t even go there. Thanks for your warning.

• Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    I have been giving carbs more consideration lately. One site I found dealing in generalisations considered many US, it was a US site, people eat more carbs in day than our ancestors would eat in a year, 10000 years ago before we started farming and tending animals. Food is more readily available for most of us in affluent society. Modern people are tending to store rather than use the excess.

The end point was, many people might do better with a carb intake of about 125 grams per day, very loosely 2 thirds of mfp's suggestion for myself. Not low carb but possibly constrained carbs.
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    FWIW, my experience with a keto a while back had mixed results. It worked initially (even after the initial water weight drop), but I felt really run down within about 2 months. Almost like I was getting sick and my lifts totally stalled. Apparently, this is not an uncommon issue for those of us with thyroid issues as keto can impact T3 even more so than a normal prolonged caloric deficit. So, those of us who already had difficulty with thyroid issues can be even more susceptible to it. Like Fuzzipeg, I found a good number of carbs for me to be 100-130 per day. This was pretty easy to accomplish so long as I wasn't eating grains or processed grain products and usually only 1 starchy carb per day. The rest was from veggies, fruits and dairy.
  • Ginpugh36
    Ginpugh36 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Since you asked, I have started taking Truvision supplements. I take Trufix and TruEnergy Weightloss. I have been on them about a month now. I take it for the energy and I also take the Trufix which is supposed to help heal the body. If I get that added fix of healed body that is great. I gave up sodas last year and needed a little kick without all the side effects. The Truenergy has not give me jitters or headaches. It is supposed to help with sugar/salt cravings, so far i don't have the sugar cravings but salt is still there. I am making changes with my food choices by reading Trim Healthy Mama and incoorperating some of the eating styles. The book gave me answers/help with trying to eat better and still eat foods I like. I am in no way pushing that life style on you or anyone. I do not sell any products. I am a reader of all information. I try some things that sounds good and discard things that are far fetched. I think we have to make choices based on what we think not what someone else thinks. Some things work for some and not for others. I think it is all what you are motivated to try. I am sick of "diet plans" that push the wrong things at us. I enjoy eating food but like my shrimp allergy, i just can't eat everything I would like. So having said all that, lol, Good luck with all you try. If we do not try, we fail.

• editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    My doctors told me take:
    multivitamin
    vitamin B12
    vitamin D
    calcium

Now they're retesting my levels to see if the supplements are working, and said to start taking omega 3 fatty acids.
  • rose1617
    rose1617 Posts: 469 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Starting tomorrow I'm taking Selenium, Vitamin E, Zinc, Copper, Vitamin D and Calcium Citrate. I'm hoping that the combo of these will reduce my dependency on Synthroid and Liothyronine (hoping to drop the Liothyronine altogether). I currently take Vitamin D and Vitamin C.
    As for carbs, I say do what works for you. I have dropped all grains numerous times and I feel amazing when I do that (and the weight literally falls off). The second I pick them back up all weight comes back on and I start to feel horrible. So, while I know that going grain-free or pretty close to it is probably what is best for me, I find it nearly impossible to do so because I've eaten them my whole life.
  • toadqueen
    Options
    @rose1617. How are you taking the zinc and copper? I was advised by a nutritionist to take them on separate days with the copper only once per week.
  • slieber
    Options
    I started taking a thyroid support supplement from 1Body about a week ago. It has a lot of the above mentioned herbs and minerals. I am finding myself feeling more alert now.

A new report just came out (read it yesterday online) that said that the garcinia cambogia supplement had little to no effect on weight loss.