Emotional eater

Options
How do I stop emotional eating? I grew up in that family where everything was solved with a huge carb-loaded, cheese filled dinner. I don't cry - I eat. I thought I had overcome this horrible habit, but two days ago a dear friend lost his 4 1/2 month old baby, and I instantly wanted to make lasagna for his family after I driving through taco bell. Any ideas for behavior change?

Replies

• dontgiveup2319
    dontgiveup2319 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Not much you can do. You need discipline....fight it hard core. Don't allow yourself to do that. It takes a lot of will power. You can do it!
  • ewoksrule3
    ewoksrule3 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I struggle with emotional eating too. I don't think will power is all of the answer...changing habits is a big part as well. You are sad and looking for comfort. So you eat. What other things are comforting to you? Yoga? A hot bath? A massage? A walk with a furry or two legged friend? A call to your mom, sister, or close friend? Listening to a certain kind of music? The idea is to find something else to take comfort in, and do that rather than eating. It's different for everyone, but try to think of a few things that genuinely make you feel good, and do that next time you're tempted to eat out of emotion. If none of those work, maybe you could find a friend who is willing to be your ear and call them to talk about what is bothering you, or just journal when you feel that urge to eat. Sometimes if you get out what you're feeling the urge to eat will go away.
  • maximumcutie
    maximumcutie Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    So sorry to hear about your friend's baby. :( I don't think it's necessary bad that you wanted to make food for them, it can be a very comforting thing for a grieving family. Problems come when you eat the entire lasagna yourself. Haha. I find going out for a walk in nature can be very soothing. And talking through things with people.
  • nannersp61
    nannersp61 Posts: 2,315 Member
    Options
    That's a horrible thing to go through. Yes, fixing food for your friend is a wonderful and natural thing for you to do. There's nothing wrong with that. Being there, a shoulder to cry on, bearing their burdens is one of the best ways you can show you care. Just make sure you aren't giving yourself permission to start binging because of this.
    As far as other triggers that cause emotional eating, you need to recognize the underlying causes and begin to deal with these, one at a time. The ones you have control over first, especially. Some things are triggered by others, such as those brought on by abusive relationships, narcissistic or emotional terrorists, alcoholism, drug abuse and the like. If this is the case, I highly suggest finding a local A.A. chapter. They usually hold Alanon groups, a support group for people whose family members are dealing with addiction issues. They have really good books that teach you how to take care of yourself, and how not the enable the addict. If you are dealing with addiction to drugs/alcohol, jiin AA. Work throuh the steps and gain strength to do better every day.
  • Alex_or_Ben
    Alex_or_Ben Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hi Samantha, yes I'm an emotional eater too. I try to eat a treat at the hardest part of the day which is around 3-4pm at the end of the work day. I try to give myself a break during that time, but during the rest of the day I try to eat my best and try my best. It's hard and far from easy, not easy at all. I give you kudos for starting this post thread and being brave enough to talk about it. Someone suggested that at work or wherever I am, to get a glass of water and get up and walk around and drink water to give myself a break and have some mental distraction - but sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Keep us posted about your progress, I would love to hear what works for you and what doesn't.