Hubby health...

Options
2»

Replies

• mlinton_mesapark
    mlinton_mesapark Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    P.S. I'm glad to hear so many of you have managed to get family members on board with this WOE! Holding out hope for my husband.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    This is my concern with my wife every single day. I want her to turn to LCHF before she has that doctor appt. But, it might very well be after.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Some take a lot bigger scare to straighten up than others. Even my daughters 13.5 A1C as of last, and she's over-do for another, didn't scare her.
  • gaelicstorm26
    gaelicstorm26 Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    He's going to HAVE to change! Metformin won't do it all for him.

I'm Type II diabetic. The diagnosis wasn't a shock as I had Gestational Diabetes twice (which has to do with the placenta). Having GD once doubles your risk of developing Type II. Considering I had it with two pregnancies, well, the diagnosis was less than a shock.

I'm on Metformin right now, but I still have to log my food and keep the carbs in check. He really should take a class for diabetics and meet with a dietitian who can help set goals for him. He needs to "eat to his meter" and really test that blood sugar so that he can learn what foods are horrendous for his blood sugar. My goal is to get off of medication completely. I'll always have to take my thyroid meds because that's an autoimmune thing, but I'd love the kick the Metformin to the curb!

He can do it!

Also (I'm assuming you aren't diabetic), he is going to hear a lot of conflicting information about what his two-hour post-meal readings should be. I encourage him to meet with an endocrinologist, a diabetes EXPERT, rather than just a general doctor. A general doctor will say that readings under 160 are ok. Personally, I disagree and think that 160 is WAY too high and will lead to future complications over many years. My own personal goal (the one I followed with my GD during pregnancy), was a reading of under 120.

Best of wishes to the both of you as you go through this journey together.
  • DianaElena76
    DianaElena76 Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    He's going to HAVE to change! Metformin won't do it all for him.

I'm Type II diabetic. The diagnosis wasn't a shock as I had Gestational Diabetes twice (which has to do with the placenta). Having GD once doubles your risk of developing Type II. Considering I had it with two pregnancies, well, the diagnosis was less than a shock.

I'm on Metformin right now, but I still have to log my food and keep the carbs in check. He really should take a class for diabetics and meet with a dietitian who can help set goals for him. He needs to "eat to his meter" and really test that blood sugar so that he can learn what foods are horrendous for his blood sugar. My goal is to get off of medication completely. I'll always have to take my thyroid meds because that's an autoimmune thing, but I'd love the kick the Metformin to the curb!

He can do it!

Also (I'm assuming you aren't diabetic), he is going to hear a lot of conflicting information about what his two-hour post-meal readings should be. I encourage him to meet with an endocrinologist, a diabetes EXPERT, rather than just a general doctor. A general doctor will say that readings under 160 are ok. Personally, I disagree and think that 160 is WAY too high and will lead to future complications over many years. My own personal goal (the one I followed with my GD during pregnancy), was a reading of under 120.

Best of wishes to the both of you as you go through this journey together.

Thank you for the tips. My husband thinks I know everything about everything, and he's mostly right :wink:, but I actually know very little about diabetes aside from what I've learned from conversations with some of my mental health clients over the years.
  • DianaElena76
    Options
    Some take a lot bigger scare to straighten up than others. Even my daughters 13.5 A1C as of last, and she's over-do for another, didn't scare her.

That IS really scary!!
  • DianaElena76
    Options
    FIT_Goat wrote: »
    This is my concern with my wife every single day. I want her to turn to LCHF before she has that doctor appt. But, it might very well be after.

I know, @FIT_Goat... I was hoping my husband would see the light before this as well, but I've only been at LCHF for about 6 months now, and he's pretty resistant to change. He is like a train wreck with food, and I'm really hoping this is his impetus to change. When we first moved in together he ate much better, but lately it's been a massive snowballing effect of what I believe is disordered eating.
  • DianaElena76
    Options
    @Mami1976D, sorry to hear about the diagnosis, but glad to hear your hubby is taking his doc's good advice! I agree, living by example is key--people have to decide to change themselves.

He's lucky to have s wife who already knows the ropes of LCHF. Wishing you both the best!

I was thinking this same thing. Imagine if I were completely new to this too...
    P.S. I'm glad to hear so many of you have managed to get family members on board with this WOE! Holding out hope for my husband.

I know--that IS fantastic!
  • DianaElena76
    Options
    deksgrl wrote: »
    Yeah, my guy was told by his doctor that if he wants him to keep him alive he would have to lose weight. When he asked about a dietitian to help advise him on the weight loss, the Dr. said you don't need one, do Atkins. He is pretty happy 3 months later and 45 pounds lighter.

So happy to read this! :)
  • KittensMaster
    KittensMaster Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    I hear lots of people talk about low carb hangover when they start

I missed that

And my spicy seasoned turkey burger for breakfast was yum
  • papalito
    papalito Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    My wife just signed up for MFP- the first step. She knows LCHF would be hard at first. She's using metformin so this might be the next step?
  • gaelicstorm26
    gaelicstorm26 Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    Metformin can cause some REALLY nasty gastro effects, especially if you eat too many carbs.
  • DianaElena76
    Options
    I hear lots of people talk about low carb hangover when they start

I missed that

And my spicy seasoned turkey burger for breakfast was yum

I pretty much skipped the keto flu too, I think. I transitioned gradually because I was clueless when I started. :)