Running pain

Options
maximumcutie
maximumcutie Posts: 33 Member
Hey all. I've been trying to do more exercising these days, but I keep having trouble with lower leg / calf pain. Even my feet hurt. I stretch before and after my walk/jog, and try to drink lots of water afterwards (I added in Powerade electrolytes today to see if that will help). Anyone know of anything to prevent this? Or heal faster?

Replies

• nannersp61
    nannersp61 Posts: 2,315 Member
    Options
    Running Isn't for everyone. You might need to choose another exercise. That's what happens to me when I run. If you are determined to run, run on grass or other soft surface. And get some trainers tape to tape under your knee and along your calf to support the leg.
  • jenlarz
    jenlarz Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    What are your shoes like? lots of miles or new or possibly a bad fit? Running on a hard surface is also harder on your body. Trail runs are my favorite!
  • ashmarie8722
    ashmarie8722 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I agree with jenlarz, shoes are a key element. Also take it slow with short distances and work your way, also do other leg strengthening exercises :)
  • ACSL3
    ACSL3 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    You definitely want good shoes - got to a running store and get fitted and try out different kinds. They'll watch you walk and jog and can advise on what kind of shoe would be good for you stride.

When I start upping my distance, I use the little dixie bathroom cups, fill them with water and put them in the freezer. Then after your walk/run you take one out and peel back the cup a bit and run the ice over your lower leg. I did this more for shin issues, but it'll work with anything. You just continuously run the ice over trouble areas until it melts away (you might want a towel under your leg if you don't want the floor to get wet). It's a great way to ice the area without having to put ice in a bag :)
  • maximumcutie
    maximumcutie Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Thanks all. I do have newer shoes so I don't think that's it. I'm trying to work up to a 5k so I need to keep at the running. Haven't heard about trainer's tape before. What is that? Good idea for the icing acsl3. I'll try that too.
  • jenlarz
    jenlarz Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Running tape could be kinesiology tape. I've just learned more about this recently. Google it, there seems to be good reviews about it.
  • ashmarie8722
    Options
    Just because your shoes are new does not mean they support your foot/ankle correctly. You can over or underpronate, the wrong shoe can cause a lot of pain, esp. if you have a serve problem. I over pronate and got a new shoe(which was supposed to be for pronation) however the sole was different than the previous model. Well I ended up in tears by the end of my work out. additionally instability like this won't be fixed with running alone, leg/ankle strengthening will be more beneficial when combined with or alternated with running( or so I am found). So I've Been there done that, it's just a suggestion.

Also you need to listen to your body and the pain, running with pain will most likely just make it worse. It is important with any exercise to let your body heal, it doesn't hurt for no reason.

Kt tape is hit or miss. I have used it on my back with great results, but I actually tried to use it on my calf yesterday and had little relief. It depends on the type of soreness or injury as well as the location.

How long? What distance? How frequently are you running? Are you doing any other leg strengthening?

There are no quick fixes to healing just like there are no magic pills to drop weight. Just be patient and listen to your body :) you will see results.
  • ashmarie8722
    Options
    Oh I forgot. There is also a difference between muscle soreness from fatigue and pain caused by an injury(I also mean something like torn acl or tendon damage here), doesn't have to be a break or sprain.
  • enigmarm
    enigmarm Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    When I had started doing a lot of running I had some calf & shin pains. I ended up pinning it down to my calf wasn't being supported enough while running. I got some Calf compression Sleeves. Those are the ones I purchased. But there seem to be others that have more reviews for a little less $$.
    May be worth a shot. That and Icy Hot cream helped my issues.
  • Jokersurv
    Jokersurv Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Go to a running store and get fitted for a good pair of shoes. Not all shoes are created equal. The running store will help you pick a good fit and shoe based on the type of running you do and based on your form
  • ewoksrule3
    ewoksrule3 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I don't run, but I was walking a lot this summer to get prepared for an overseas vacation. I had bought a pair of shoes online that were a brand and style I loved 7 or so years ago, thinking they would be "safe". I had a lot of foot pain and rubbing on my toes, ingrown toenails, etc, and a friend of mine kept insisting that I go to a running store to get better shoes. It really annoyed me, because I had just spent $160 on this pair, and they were a kind that had worked for me before....long story short, I had to switch to a pair of 20 year old shoes during my vacation, because my feet were bothering me so much. When I got home, I gave in and went to the running store. My feet have been much more comfortable since then. I am very frustrated that I now have a pair of $160 shoes that hurt my feet and are just sitting around, BUT the new shoes don't hurt or irritate my feet. As annoyed as I was at wasting the money and being told what to do....the running store made things better. The one I went to actually has a 10 day money-back policy, and you have 30 days to exchange the shoes if they aren't working, so you can try something else if those aren't working. The running store also likely has some ideas on other things you can try to help with your stride or taping, etc, to make the pain less likely. Again, I don't run, but in my experience sometimes a pair of shoes really can make a big difference in your comfort.
  • SarahJurina
    SarahJurina Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Hey, I'm glad you're running. It's a great calorie torcher and can be a lot of fun.

As far as with my own running problems, I have found in hot weather I will suffer from foot pain more. Couple that with increasing your distance, and you may have some problems. In addition, you are supposed to up your running amount only 10% per week.

I would recommend running less often if you are having pain. Maybe take it back to 1 or 2 days each week, then work on strength training a couple days as well. That way you can build the muscle needed and running will feel easier.

After you run or work out, try a cool shower or swim in the pool. The cold water will help keep everything moving out of your legs rather than pooling in your legs (lactic acid, etc.).

Do you do any sprints? They build leg muscle too.
  • mmebouchon
    mmebouchon Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I'm a total noob when it comes to running but did get some advice that seems to have helped me. If you are getting pain or inflammation back off on the running until it goes away. Do something different to maintain your cardio while the sore spot heals. I swam. Then when thing are feeling better start the c25k program again at an earlier week, and slowly work your way back through the weeks.