Introducing Myself

Options
kcs121
kcs121 Posts: 14 Member
Hi All,

I am a member of OA, and have been binging the last two days after 4 months of abstinence, i believe because of my disordered thinking and partly because i don't think i was eating enough..any advice/welcome would be appreciated!
I don't know how much i weigh and weightloss is not really my ultimate goal right now, it is more finding a sustainable way of eating that can last my life time. This disease is cunning, baffling and powerful. Still coming down off the binges.

Replies

• dippydoo
    dippydoo Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I belonged to OA years ago. I enjoy discussing our battle with this disease with other like minded people.
  • Healthy0060
    Healthy0060 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I am re-introducing myself. I walked away from OA because I thought I could operate under my own power. After much reflection, I now know that I truly did not get passed Step 1. I have returned to telephone meetings. I am taking baby steps instead of the giant leaps like before. I was the perfect OA person. I never missed an in-person meeting or a telephone meeting. So I humbly submit to Step 1, and I am starting over.
  • MDAPebbles67
    MDAPebbles67 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I also have a hard time getting past step one, then I usually come to a full stop at step four. I do not like admitting powerlessness and then taking an inventory of my faults.
  • Brasseric81
    Brasseric81 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hi there. My name is Powerless and my problem is Eric. I have been in OA in the past and I think it is time I go back. This disease has crept back into my life and I need to definitely go back.
    Eric
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    Hi Eric, glad to have you aboard.
  • earascon
    earascon Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi, My name is Emily and I have using MFP for about 2 years. I joined OA a few yeas ago after coming to the realization that I could not go on any longer by myself. At one point I became loosy goosy, stopped going and did quite well on my own, until... You know the story. Here I am again. SO glad I decided to do a search on the word overeaters today and found this group.
  • Gamliela
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Welcome back Emily. We're none of us saints here, just willing to grow. So glad you're back on.
  • Angelszophia
    Angelszophia Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    As for me, Feb. was tough. I only manage 11 good days, with wheat traces, so just 10 days.
  • rebecky8085
    rebecky8085 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I'm Becky, I'm a compulsive overeater. Starting step 1 again.
  • rebecky8085
    rebecky8085 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I also have a hard time getting past step one, then I usually come to a full stop at step four. I do not like admitting powerlessness and then taking an inventory of my faults.

Me to! Did great up to step 4! You,me, we're not alone. It can be done.
  • insideoutgirl
    insideoutgirl Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Hi - I'm Susan. Just starting to go to OA. I have been overweight my whole life but swore I'd never go on diets after being put on them a lot as a kid. I did that for 30 years and am finally starting to soften to the idea that I need help. I have been logging for the last 1.5 yrs, lost 30lbs, then gained it back and here I am. I'm just starting to figure out what my abstinence might be. Thanks for being here! ☺️
  • Gamliela
    Options
    Hi Susan, Welcome! :)
  • magpiejen
    magpiejen Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm Jennie and I'm a compulsive overeater. I've been going to OA for about 2 1/2 years but working the program (not too successfully) for about 1 1/2 years. My sponsor and I have now been following the HOW food plan for the past 2 weeks. I text her a screen shot of my MFP food plan and we talk by phone every day. I'm finally feeling clarity about what I should eat. Before, I had no willingness to cut out certain foods. I finally agreed to not eat sugar, but was still eating white flour and all the other carbs. Through some miracle, I found the willingness to cut out almost all carbs and snacks. Praying that the miracle stays with me!
  • Gamliela
    Options
    Hi Jennie, Welcome! One day at a time we can do this! Sponsorship is important and the 12 steps work! Glad you' re here. :)
  • cntbrown
    cntbrown Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi all, I am new here and I am a compulsive overeater and I am powerless.
  • Gamliela
    Options
    Welcome to you cntbrown. There is some good support here. Read some of the older group topics, they can help, and be free to start your own topics with questions you have. :smile:
  • goochinator
    goochinator Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    New here...going to my first OA meeting tonight. I know AA, so I kinda get the program, but not sure. I'm excited to have a change.
  • GrokRockStar
    GrokRockStar Posts: 2,938 Member
    Options
    New here...going to my first OA meeting tonight. I know AA, so I kinda get the program, but not sure. I'm excited to have a change.

Hi @goochinator! How was your meeting last night? Hope it was a great one! As you've probably noticed, the programs are similar. Welcome to the group!

• goochinator
    Options
    Woo hoo!
    I really enjoyed the first meeting, definitely going to another asap. Definitely going to be a challenge to fit it in, working 2 jobs- working out- family time...but it's so important.

I think the most shocking thing I heard?
    It's not a weight loss program.
    I honestly had never thought about it like that, but it's true! The stories I heard last night were clear it's exactly where I need to be. I asked the question how long had people been in, and it opened things up to people's stories. I learned it's more of a psychology/mind/spiritual awakening kind of thing. But of course it varies with everyone.

For countless years I've tried to figure out WHY I overeat when I want fitness/health so badly. Nothing has ever come up. I have no idea how to learn the answer to myself, but I'm hoping OA can help steer me in the direction of answers! The real life psychology behind actions is what's so good here!
  • goochinator
    Options
    Question:
    I need to learn more about the program/group, essentially HOW to do the steps- and HOW to get to the places I saw people in the other night.
    I know I'll get more in meetings, but for now what book should I start with?