5 pounds of ground beef

Options
Twibbly
Twibbly Posts: 1,065 Member
edited August 2015 in Social Groups
5 pounds of ground beef, 4 pounds of bacon, 3 pounds of cream cheese, 2 pounds of bacon sausage, 10 pounds of chicken breasts (my husband won't eat thighs, I pan-fry in fat & eat with cream cheese or sour cream or cheese), 4 cans of salmon, a small brick of mozzerella cheese, cream, and 36 eggs.

Today, I'm cooking:
  • taco meat
  • stir-fryed chicken
  • salmon patties
  • stuffed burgers
  • bacon
  • breakfast "muffins"

If I get really industrious, I'll make something similar to Hot Pockets (recipe: http://mariamindbodyhealth.com/breakfast-hot-pocket/) with pepperoni, mozzarella, and a tomato & cream sauce that's pretty low on carbs.

Any other suggestions?

Replies

• Twibbly
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Oh, and I started analyzing what I had been doing and believe I identified 2 fatal flaws.

The first was low carb dessert (mmmm...pumpkin cheesecake). Apparently, it needs to be saved only for holidays and chunked after the actual day if I do it at all.

The second was tea. I'd switched from drinking my coffee with heavy cream to tea with a regular tea bag and a herbal one. The herbal one had luo han go in it.

Apparently, the sweeteners in those 2 things make me want more carbs. Therefore, off the table for a while.

I must confess, I said screw it, I want to eat normal yesterday morning. After 2 cups of tea with a bit of honey and 2 packets of maple brown sugar oatmeal, I felt like I had a buzz. Turns out, my blood sugar was 194. I'm not allowed to eat like normal people anymore.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    >. I'm not allowed to eat like normal people anymore.

That can be a good thing though! Most normal people are overweight and unhealthy!
  • Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    Wowzers!! Talk about batch can cooking!

If you bake the chicken it's easier than stirfrying... Frees up time for everything else. You can bake the bacon at the same time.
  • Twibbly
    Options
    Bacon is almost done. I decided to just cook the breakfast sausage, portion it out for breakfast-sized servings, & freeze it. My parents have decided we need to come into town and do lunch, so I'm off the hook for fixing lunch. Once we get back, I'll start on the ground beef & chicken. Going to do salmon patties or stuffed burgers for dinner & bake the lot of them all at once.
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    Are you eating all of that in one day? Green with envy!
  • Twibbly
    Options
    No, that's the majority of my food for the next week.
  • Twibbly
    Options
    Blargh. Didn't get half of that done. I apparently forgot about the part where once I get back on the wagon, I'm tired for the next few days. So...I guess I'm cooking the rest that's thawed out tomorrow and not worrying about the rest just yet.
  • Cheesy567
    Options
    It seemed like a lot of cooking-- made me tired just thinking of standing at the stove that long! What worked out for you today?

I try to batch cook for the week, too, and would love to see what works well for others. But with an autoimmune disease, my energy lags quickly, so easier is better. Baking as much as possible at 350* works best for me, let's me sit to prep the rest while the oven is going. (Chicken, Canadian bacon 'jerky', bacon, meatballs all go in at some point-- usually two "shifts" in the oven) I usually bake a few weeks worth of boneless/skinless chicken thighs, portion them out then freeze them, saves time in the long run. Makes for quick lunch packing!

Would you consider sharing your salmon patty recipe? I'm looking for a good one!
  • Twibbly
    Options
    I baked all the bacon and pan-fried all the breakfast sausage.

I can't use my old salmon patty recipe, so what I was planning to try is basically salmon, a few tablespoons of grated parmesan (from the green can), eggs to hold it together, and Old Bay seasoning, then pan fry or bake. I'll report back on how it worked.
  • Couchpotato39
    Couchpotato39 Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    Zucchini lasagna or beanless chili would be great uses for the hamburger meat. I also like hamburger soup!
  • m_puppy
    m_puppy Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Twibbly wrote: »

I can't use my old salmon patty recipe, so what I was planning to try is basically salmon, a few tablespoons of grated parmesan (from the green can), eggs to hold it together, and Old Bay seasoning, then pan fry or bake. I'll report back on how it worked.

I'll be interested to hear how this works
  • Schmeggly80
    Schmeggly80 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Cheesy567 wrote: »
    It seemed like a lot of cooking-- made me tired just thinking of standing at the stove that long! What worked out for you today?

I try to batch cook for the week, too, and would love to see what works well for others. But with an autoimmune disease, my energy lags quickly, so easier is better. Baking as much as possible at 350* works best for me, let's me sit to prep the rest while the oven is going. (Chicken, Canadian bacon 'jerky', bacon, meatballs all go in at some point-- usually two "shifts" in the oven) I usually bake a few weeks worth of boneless/skinless chicken thighs, portion them out then freeze them, saves time in the long run. Makes for quick lunch packing!

Would you consider sharing your salmon patty recipe? I'm looking for a good one!

What is this Canadian bacon jerky you speak of??!
  • sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Twibbly wrote: »

Please do share how the salmon patties work out. I have some (canned) salmon that needs to get used.
  • Cheesy567
    Options

Cut some Canadian bacon slices in halves or quarters. Marinade if you want (sometimes I use coconut aminos and tarragon vinegar with some salt, pepper, and garlic). Lay in a single layer on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or foil. Bake at 350, or whatever temp the oven is set at for everything else, for about 30 min or until they're crispy enough for you. Store in the fridge.
  • Schmeggly80
    Options

Cut some Canadian bacon slices in halves or quarters. Marinade if you want (sometimes I use coconut aminos and tarragon vinegar with some salt, pepper, and garlic). Lay in a single layer on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or foil. Bake at 350, or whatever temp the oven is set at for everything else, for about 30 min or until they're crispy enough for you. Store in the fridge.

Yum, thanks!
  • fludderbye
    fludderbye Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    i cook my chicken in the crockpot-

but it on the bone(cheaper) set it on low- end of the day -pick out the bones and fat and store cooked chicken for later or eat LOL-- if you have a big enough crock pot you can get a whole bird in it !!!
  • KetoCutie
    KetoCutie Posts: 161 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
  • Twibbly
    Options
    Sadly, salmon patties will have to wait. I accidentally bought the canned salmon with skin and bones in it. Blech.
  • chaoticdreams
    chaoticdreams Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    ohbiteit.com/2015/07/cheesy-bacon-meatball-bombs.html

I think I'm making those tonight...... /drools
  • Schmeggly80
    Options
    ohbiteit.com/2015/07/cheesy-bacon-meatball-bombs.html

I think I'm making those tonight...... /drools

Those sound amazing, but the pictures are killing me! :o

Could be that I sometimes have the mind of a 12 year old boy but really...