Lancets

Options
cloudy68
cloudy68 Posts: 65 Member
Do you change your lancet each time you take a reading? The diabetes educational coordinator at my clinic said I could change weekly (taking readings 2-3x per week) I know some have said they even go longer - confusing!!!

Replies

• zcb94
    zcb94 Posts: 3,679 Member
    Options
    As a many-times-per-day tester, I used to change mine once daily but was told that infection would result from refusal to change before each test, which is now what I do.
  • KenSmith108
    KenSmith108 Posts: 1,966 Member
    Options
    cloudy68 wrote: »
    Do you change your lancet each time you take a reading? The diabetes educational coordinator at my clinic said I could change weekly (taking readings 2-3x per week) I know some have said they even go longer - confusing!!!

I've had diabetes for 32 years. I can only speak for myself. I use the same lancet till it really hurts or just bounces off. I've never had an infection, but that's not to say tomorrow may be my first. I do wash my hands first, and don't bother with the alcohol swab. YMMV I test 4 to 6 times a day.

• titinil
    titinil Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I purchase my test strips from a vendor who includes a box of lancets with the strips, so I have no reason not to use a new lancet with each test.
    Even if that were not the case, I would probably use a new lancet anyway, especially at work, since I work in a hospital and we know they are just chock full of germs.
  • velveteen7845
    velveteen7845 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I change my lancet each time. My testing is sporadic now that my blood sugar control is so good. Some days I don't test and some days I test a few times. It really depends on what I eat.