Weight up and down like a yo-yo!

Options
But here's why. A good read and I wanted to share it, if like me, you happen to jump up on the scales every couple of days and then find you're down a pound then up then down then up, then down and down (hopefully). Yeah, I know, I should really only be weighing once weekly, but sometimes I can't help myself! Equally I can't help but feel a little disappointed when its up after working hard, but now I know why.

http://www.ontheregimen.com/2014/02/09/what-those-scale-weight-fluctuations-really-mean/

I'm guilty of a bit of booze at the weekend- nothing too mad usually unless its a rare night out with friends. Generally a bottle of wine spread out over Friday and Saturday and maybe a few more carbs than normal when I know I'm going to be very active. I felt a bit better about things after reading this, now that I get the science.

Replies

• ewoksrule3
    ewoksrule3 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I typically lose, and then my weight jumps up 2-3 pounds the next day and stays there for a few days...then makes another jump down. This probably explains some of why that happens. I know people say not to weigh yourself every day, but I'm always afraid I'm going to miss the low day if I only do it once a week, lol! I record it when it goes down and then wait til it goes down again to record. makes me feel better than seeing the graph bouncing up and down.
  • ShansGotGoals
    ShansGotGoals Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    Haha!! You guys make me laugh. I get so nervous about getting on the scale I am shaking and sweating! Until I joined this challenge I didn't really ever know where I stood......which I guess explains why I have gotten over 200 lbs!!!
  • cherries12345
    cherries12345 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU for this! I read through the part about glycogen stores, and it makes a lot of sense now why my weight goes up after bunging even when I don't eat sodium. I always knew it wasn't "real" but this really made sense!
  • ewoksrule3
    ewoksrule3 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I guess getting on the scale daily is sort of a habit, and sort of just...a morning reminder that I'm doing this for a reason. I have noticed that the days I don't want to step on the scale are the days when I know I ate badly yesterday, so that's probably a good reason to keep doing it - so I'm not tempted to just keep eating and not have to see the effect it's having on me! I hate the weight I'm at, but I love the days when I see it get less, so I keep getting on the scale to see those days. :)
  • mmebouchon
    mmebouchon Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I know I need the the daily weigh in to keep me honest with myself. The ups occur about once every 5 to 10 days and they always depress me but ... The down days are wonderful, lol.
  • nannersp61
    nannersp61 Posts: 2,315 Member
    Options
    I weigh nearly every day. Its definitely a yo-yo. I only post weight losses on my tracker. It also helps me keep on top of my goals a bit better. When I don't log or don't weigh, its much easier to let my weight continue to creep up.
  • GrandmaJackie
    GrandmaJackie Posts: 36,294 Member
    Options
    nannersp61 wrote: »
    I weigh nearly every day. Its definitely a yo-yo. I only post weight losses on my tracker. It also helps me keep on top of my goals a bit better. When I don't log or don't weigh, its much easier to let my weight continue to creep up.

I agree 100% if I don't weigh in daily I loss focus! That being said, AFTER a horrible day of eating I STILL step on the scale!!! It helps me stay on track!
  • mommyknits
    mommyknits Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I'm much like that. Too often have I not weighed in because of a big restaurant meal the day before or a bad weekend and it snowballed into weeks/months not stepping on the scale and it's led to weight gain every single time. So, now I just face the music daily, recognizing that there will be daily fluctuations. As long as the overall trend is on the downward slope.

Last night we went out for sushi and I had a very controlled plan. I ordered 2 rolls and had accounted for all the calories but I know that the sodium of the soy sauce always does a number on my weigh in and yes, I faced the music this morning and hopefully in a couple of days I'll be looking at the downward fluctuations again. :-)
  • WicklowWanderer
    WicklowWanderer Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Thanks folks, I was feeling that maybe every day was me being a bit obsessive, but you're right, it does help me stay focussed. So why stop?! I'll try to accept the ups and downs for what they are rather than reading too much into them. Soy sauce and hot sauce, yes, they've caught me out a couple of time now and will no doubt keep catching me- I adore Franks and I make a soy sauce, honey, ginger and garlic marinade for baked salmon that I absolutely refuse to give up!
  • mmebouchon
    mmebouchon Posts: 855 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    The article really explains allot. Thanks for posting it.