Jenny's Progress :)

Options
jennytree
jennytree Posts: 210 Member
Hello! I'm Jenny, from Ireland :sweat_smile:

I just thought I'd open this thread up to help me keep motivated!

Started out a few years ago eating 1,300 a day with great success till 18 months or so ago when it all came to a grinding halt.

Starting weight: 172
Current weight: 176
BMR: 1582
TDEE: 2453
Activity level: Moderate (I am now strength training 3 times a week).

I found that I had no strength to lift when I started training after xmas. So, figured I should probably look at what I was eating and try and increase cals.

First increase: 1400 > 1600

Felt like crap for the first 2 weeks - really bloated. Weight went up 4lbs. Strength increased immediate though :smile:

Second increase, which was about 6 weeks ago: 1600 > 1848

Again, felt horrible for the first 2 weeks. Put on another 4lb which has since come off (well, I've been on holidays so I've a few lbs water weight to lose, hopefully!). Big thank you to Kiki for keeping me motivated, as it can be very hard not to panic and lower cals when you're having a fat day!

So, I guess I should up my cals again, till I hit my proper TDEE, right? My main goal is to gain strength and lose fat. When I first calculated my TDEE, I didn't take activity level into consideration as I had a few busy weeks ahead and I wasn't sure if I'd get to do training or not.

I also need to figure out proper healthy meals! I found myself eating extra but the wrong kinds of foods. Going food shopping later, can't wait :blush:

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    If you do 3-5 hrs of exercise a week that is more intense than walking, and no kids keeping you more active in the evenings - sounds like you got a rough TDEE to start with.

I'd suggest if bloating that badly, perhaps keep increases to that 200 cal extra daily for a week or two at a time until gut gets used to it.

How long have you been strength training?

Because at some point, gaining strength and losing fat weight by being in a deficit will be at odds with each other. One focus will have to win, depending if you need more weight off the knees daily say, or want more weight on the bar during the workout say.

So several things could be done to attempt both within the same time frame, but not a daily dual focus likely.
  • jennytree
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    If you do 3-5 hrs of exercise a week that is more intense than walking, and no kids keeping you more active in the evenings - sounds like you got a rough TDEE to start with.

I'd suggest if bloating that badly, perhaps keep increases to that 200 cal extra daily for a week or two at a time until gut gets used to it.

How long have you been strength training?

Because at some point, gaining strength and losing fat weight by being in a deficit will be at odds with each other. One focus will have to win, depending if you need more weight off the knees daily say, or want more weight on the bar during the workout say.

So several things could be done to attempt both within the same time frame, but not a daily dual focus likely.

Thank you for the response :smile:

I've been doing the increases every 4 weeks, so after a week or two, my stomach gets used to the changes alright.

My goal now is to eat enough and properly. I do strength training to keep muscle, but I will aim to do more strength training in August. I have been doing 3*45mins training a week since March.

Tomorrow, I'll move up to 2000 and see how I get on for the next 4 weeks.
  • mymodernbabylon
    mymodernbabylon Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Good job at looking after your body. You will be amazed at what happens to your strength gains as you feed your body. It's awesome!
  • jennytree
    Options
    I've all my holiday weight lost now - only took 5 days! Amazing what dehydration and pizza will make your body do :blush: I kept to my cals though, didn't panic starve myself and my body did it's own thing.

I've had a few distractions over the last few weeks so I'm back in the game now :smile: if I can keep the food healthy, I won't know myself!
  • jennytree
    Options
    Day 3 of 2000cals. 1lb up so far but I won't judge yet :)
  • orchidee1987
    orchidee1987 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I'm surprised that a little increase in calories (200 at a time) makes you bloat, at least enough for you to be annoyed by it... Do you drink enough water, eat enough fiber and fats to keep everything moving ? Your strength will increase gradually over months, it's not only a matter of food intake of course but of muscular and neuronal adaptation mostly
  • jennytree
    Options
    I've been at 2000 (well, in reality 2200 moreso) cals a day now and this time I've been feeling fine! I think my body is now adjusting to eating more, and doesn't complain as much.

I had a bad day yesterday food-wise. My initial instinct this morning was to eat much less to get over the binge, but I am going training later and I don't want to be weak for it, so I must fuel my body properly. Definitely a sign that my mindset has changed a little in this regard. Instead of hitting panic mode, I'm accepting what has happened and looking forward.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Great mindset.

Usually never helpful to attempt to make up after the fact. Much better to prepare in advance, though I guess you don't want to prepare for a binge, but special night out or such, sure.

Because if you had cut more today prior to workout, probably wouldn't have had as good a workout, only would have dropped some glucose stores with attached water.
    And that may be only what was added anyway.
  • jennytree
    Options
    So, I had tonsillitis last week :| couldn't eat or drink anything for a few days without being in awful pain, but I'm back on track now eating at TDEE.

I've been planning on staying at TDEE till the end of August, then I'm going to start a cut along with implementing a new training programme with 3 days strength and 2 days HIIT. I realise with my increased activity I'll have to recalculate, but I'm aiming for some decent fat loss results over the coming months.

Any tips on what programme to go with? I've been looking at Strong Curves etc, it's hard to know which one to pick.
  • mymodernbabylon
    mymodernbabylon Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Strong Curves gets great reviews. I'm doing Strong Lifts because it's free and easy with the equipment I have (plus I do it with my husband). As long as it's a progressive weight lifting programme, you can't go wrong. I think my next one will be either Cathe system or the EM2WL system.
  • kmac1196
    kmac1196 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I've finished strong curves and running it again! I love it. The best changes in my glutes and legs ever...and I've squatted for years.
  • jennytree
    Options
    Excellent, thank you for the responses! I'm doing Stronglifts at the moment but I'm not making much progress and I think I could benefit from some assistance work. Happy to go along with Strong Curves so :#:)
  • jennytree
    Options
    Just to update on progress. I started in a new gym two weeks ago, and I really really wanted to start a cut so that I could be at my goal weight by Christmas. The new place is great: weight training followed by strength circuits etc.

So, I cut to 1,700 a day for the last 2 weeks and my weight hasn't moved at all. I'm not even sure why I did it. Sometimes, it can be so frustrating because I know there's fat to lose but it doesn't seem to want to go anywhere. The temptation to cut to 1,300 is high, but I love eating more and I don't think I could cope :smiley:

I also know the types of food that I'm eating is not the healthiest either, and I think that's a big part of the problem.

Anyway, since I've started eating more, I've gone up to 181lbs and I've stayed in or around that weight week-on-week.

My goal for this week: Eat at TDEE. Eat properly. No added sugar. That's it :smile:
  • kmac1196
    kmac1196 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Eating more is fun but it's not getting us to our goal weight, huh? I'm in your boat too. I am just starting my cut. Good luck! Thanks for the update!
  • jennytree
    Options
    I'm following your thread too @kmac1196, it's good to have someone in the same boat as me! You're a few weeks further than me, by the looks of it. I hope your cut goes well :smile:
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    I am in that same boat. I started cut beginning of August, dropped one pound from where I had been for a couple weeks prior. But just bouncing within a 2 lbs range since then. My numbers are not proof of my current reality. I should be going downwards. I haven't gotten back to my lower weight I was at when I started resetting.

I do enjoy more strength and have lost inches in the process, so wearing smaller sizes now. And the extra food ain't bad either! :p

I did reconnect my Fitbit and MFP and I eat back some of my calories when I have them. I set MFP to very active so the adjustments wouldn't be so high. While I am hoping for .5 lbs per week I set them both for 1 lb. Hopefully our bodies will start to trust we are not going to starve them again. I am just hanging in and hoping the process starts to work. I do seem to find maintenance, never stayed in one place this long before.
  • jennytree
    Options
    I hear ye @retirehappy, my body needs to trust me :smiley: I'm the same measurements too though (afaik, although I didn't take them right when I started increasing cals) :neutral: Do you find your fitbit helpful? I was thinking of getting one, but I'm not sure if it would help or hinder my progress as it would be another thing for me to obsess over.

I still have this niggling voice telling me "f* this, go back to 1,300 a day".
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    jennytree wrote: »
    I hear ye @retirehappy, my body needs to trust me :smiley: I'm the same measurements too though (afaik, although I didn't take them right when I started increasing cals) :neutral: Do you find your fitbit helpful? I was thinking of getting one, but I'm not sure if it would help or hinder my progress as it would be another thing for me to obsess over.

I still have this niggling voice telling me "f* this, go back to 1,300 a day".

Don't listen to that niggly voice it doesn't have your best interest at heart. I know I can't go back to 12 or 1300 calories again. My endurance and strength are sooooo much better now. I am more active because I have the energy to be.

I really increased my activity level after I got a Fitbit. I saw how much of slug I really am. I am a computer geek, and still spend most of my days in front of monitor. But now I make time to go out and get those steps in. I also do fitness classes and am working with a trainer to ease me into weight lifting, I am currently working on the machines and using dumbbells but I hope to graduate to barbells some day in the future. I have the Charge HR and most of my activity is step based, only occasional bike rides, and strength training, so the weekly report tells me what I did for the week.

This has all worked for others no reason it won't for us unless we just give up. We aren't going to do that are we? B)

• RetiredAndLovingIt
    RetiredAndLovingIt Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    I know I should ask this on the Fitbit site, but since you are talking about it..does the Charge HR increase your burn for the bike riding, etc? I have a One & don't think it does, so I wonder if I would like the Charge HR better.
  • jennytree
    Options
    This has all worked for others no reason it won't for us unless we just give up. We aren't going to do that are we? B)

:lol: no, we certainly are not :smile: