The right way to exercise

Options
kimgravitt3
kimgravitt3 Posts: 186 Member
I have a question for all who have been exercising for a while. I have started slowly with walking and also strength training. My problem is my knees are so bad and my achilles tendon in both ankles are so tight that I struggle to make adequate process. I'm actually thinking it's my form and (excessive weight) that's causing the pain and soreness. I really need some suggestions on how to combat this issue. Would it be advisable to actually work with a trainer? I know that can get expensive, but if that is what I need I'm determined to make a way. Your thoughts?

Replies

• 911Chrisy
    911Chrisy Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Great question I am following along for responses.
  • sinderstorm
    sinderstorm Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    have you considered swimming or water aerobics to be less impacting on your joints?
  • cmchandler74
    cmchandler74 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I second the water aerobics and swimming. Additionally, I cannot stress enough the importance of making sure you are stretching thoroughly and properly prior to any walks or runs that you take. You should be stretching before and then cooling down (just walking at a slower pace, maybe doing some cool-down stretches) afterward as well.
  • blairmundy
    blairmundy Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Your shoes are also super important. If you are prepared to spend money, go to an actual running store (not foot locker or whatever) and have them analyze your gait to recommend shoes. Do strength exercises like leg lifts that keep your knee straight - this builds the muscles that keep the kneecap firmly in place. Knee bending weight training should be avoided. Try walking on a softer surface, like a rubber track or soft grass and try to walk with you toe hitting the ground, your midsole flexing and your heel never really bearing weight. A bicycle or elliptical can also be a good choice, though the elliptical might be rough on the ankles.
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    What others have said about form, stretching and proper shoes is totally true! In addition, make sure you are properly hydrated. You might want to try some gel insoles too, they helped me!

When I first started to lose weight, I had a lot of pain in my feet when I walked, because of my weight. I couldn't walk too far or too long. In addition to walking, I would use the incumbent bike at the gym, and the elliptical too. The elliptical was challenging at first, but it didn't hurt my feet as bad as walking so I just did it. Now, I have zero problems with my feet, and I bet as you lose, you will have less and possibly no pain. I have been working with a trainer for about a year. I am about 22 months out from surgery, so I started about a year out. I do core training, which has really helped, because after losing 200 lbs, I felt like I had to realign. I see him less than at first because my trainer gave me a workout I can do on my own, so while it can be pricey, it doesn't have to be pricey long term.
  • kimgravitt3
    Options
    Great advise all! My brother has a pool, so I could go by there a few days a week until he closes it down for the winter. I've also thought about joining a wellness center in my area, instead of a gym, because they have an indoor pool and cater to an older crowd. I've always had trouble with my feet because they are actually too small to be carrying around all the weight they have to. I'm definitely going to get myself a better pair of shoes! I have inserts that came from a foot doctor, but they may be getting a little worn. I carry a lot of weight in my legs, so that could be contributing to my gait being off. Hopefully, that will get better once I lose some more weight.
  • anbrdr
    anbrdr Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I second the elliptical as a decent choice. If you are like I was, the bottoms of your feet might start to fall asleep, But I'm usually able to control that by lifting my heel off of the foot-stands on the upstroke. It was my primary cardio until recently.
  • blairmundy
    blairmundy Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I had that foot problem with the elliptical too. Every time it started to get bad I'd switch to ellipticalling backwards for about 30 seconds and that helped a little - though you have to do it slow.
  • rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Almost all of my cardio has been on the elliptical (easier on my hips). I agree with the shoes and keeping the feet moving around comments.
  • creepykbear
    creepykbear Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I'm doing water aerobics and or swimming everyday - I recently purchased a used elliptical for winter time but your idea of joining the center with the pool sounds like a great one. I've been to see personal trainers in the past and they seem to often have goals that are different than mine were - wanting you to work harder, push more, lift more etc.. When you are trying to lean down instead of gain muscle I'm not sure they know quite what to do.
  • anbrdr
    anbrdr Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I think they both go hand-in-hand. Building more muscle mass increases metabolism, which increases fat burning. Unless they are trying to get you to power lift (max weight, minimal reps), you should do fine. But exercise must be enjoyable, for it to be successful in the long term. So find something you love to do (or at minimal can tolerate doing).
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I agree about the shoes too. My podiatrist sent me to Gazelle Sports and told me to get a walking, not running shoe, because the walking shoe is wider through the middle, giving more stability and doesn't allow me to pronate (ankles rolling to the inside). Don't know if they have Gazelle Sports where you live, but if not find a store where the sales staff are trained in what shoe works best for what you are doing and how it's supposed to fit. Secondly, as Dale said, as the weight starts coming off the pain will lessen. I have recently been adding to my normal walking with trips to the gym. I've been using a regular exercise bike, free weights, a weight machine and even the eliptical. I have found that my knees do not like the eliptical. I guess I just have way too much damage and arthritis in them. I have pain in both knees for hours afterwards. But I can do the rest. Take it all in baby steps, adding a minute here and there and work up very gradually. As anyone who knows me knows, I hate exercise! So if I can do this, so can you.
  • kimgravitt3
    Options
    Thanks pawoodhull. I did get a new pair of walking shoes, so I'm hoping that helps. I look forward to getting more weight off so that I can do more. Thanks to everyone for the great advise.
  • Keikix3
    Keikix3 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I think your idea of joining a wellness clinic is great! I go to a pool several times a week around 6 am and we have a group of early risers that make it fun. We walk, we do backwards walking, "cross country ski" and walk sideways. Some of us use noodles- we sit on them and bicycle forwards and backwards. I do a sort of adapted jumping jack in the deeper end. I use foam barbells and do a variety of arm exercises. For me getting there early means quiet time, sun rising, nice company and getting home by 7:30 or so into my shower and on with the day. I didn't like the gym, felt too self conscious and awkward. Maybe I will like it better the smaller I become :)!! Glad you found some shoes that work too!