On a serious note....

Options
emmab0902
emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
edited August 2015 in Social Groups
We all know the effects of chlorine on our hair and skin. But I'm wondering what the health effects are of absorbing it through our skin with all the hours we spend in the pool. Presumably there are some consequences? Have seen mention of respiratory problems and eroded tooth enamel from it. Are the other minerals etc we should be having more of to counter this? Anyone know?

Replies

• stephenrhinton
    stephenrhinton Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I'd not heard or thought about chlorine damaging teeth. But just last week I did notice that my front bottom teeth were looking distinctly brown. I'd assume my dental habits had just gotten sloppy and have started paying extra attention to my morning brushing. But after your post I did some googling. Apparently some discoloration isn't all that unusual, but is just a superficial deposit and can be scraped off. But more serious enamel erosion can occur if the pH of the pool isn't well maintained.

http://www.oralanswers.com/chlorine-swimming-pools-dissolve-stain-teeth/
  • AquaticQuests
    AquaticQuests Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    I'd not heard or thought about chlorine damaging teeth. But just last week I did notice that my front bottom teeth were looking distinctly brown. I'd assume my dental habits had just gotten sloppy and have started paying extra attention to my morning brushing. But after your post I did some googling. Apparently some discoloration isn't all that unusual, but is just a superficial deposit and can be scraped off. But more serious enamel erosion can occur if the pH of the pool isn't well maintained.

http://www.oralanswers.com/chlorine-swimming-pools-dissolve-stain-teeth/

Woah! What?
    Thankfully my teeth are intact after a couple of years of very regular swimming :smiley:
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    I talked to my dermatologist, and she's the one who recommended vitamin C to neutralize the chlorine on my skin, and then lotion for dryness.

The eye doctor's only concern was too-tight goggles that could potentially cause headaches that could eventually affect the optic nerve--but he just said, "no headaches, no worries. "

my orthopedist LOVES that I swim;

my allergist has given me a standing prescription for antibacterial drops for occasional swimmer's ear that I've filled 3 times in 10 years.

Never thought of talking to the dejtist, but I have an appointment in a couple of weeks and will report back!
  • SoCalSwimmerDude
    SoCalSwimmerDude Posts: 480 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I swam year round almost every single day on a club team and then college from ages 5-21. From ages 12-21, I was doing 2hrs in the morning and 2 at night. I'm 33 now.

The only thing I have to show for it is about 30-40 pounds of extra fat from my post swimming days.

I think we'll all be ok from chlorine exposure... Unless, of course, you're snacking on chlorine tablets in between workouts. ;)
  • 60sPanda
    60sPanda Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Rosebarn - for swimmers ear make sure you swim and shower with earplugs in. I used to get that a lot but having used earplugs consistently over the past 3 years I have been problem free.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    60sPanda wrote: »
    Rosebarn - for swimmers ear make sure you swim and shower with earplugs in. I used to get that a lot but having used earplugs consistently over the past 3 years I have been problem free.

UGH. I HATE earplugs, but I started using them after my last infection earlier this summer. I've experimented with several different kinds, and still don't like them . . . But they're better than swimmer's ear by a long shot!
  • Can_Do_Gal
    Can_Do_Gal Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    I just got Finis ear plugs after trying a lot of different ones. They seem to do the job better & are more comfortable. I get swimmer's ear this time of year most years if I'm swimming - pool or lake, it doesn't matter. The PA I saw at urgent care this year told me to stop using Q - tips (guilty as charged), because that can cause micro - tears plus it gets rid of the protective layer of wax.

As far as chlorine exposure, I know it's problematic for me at times. I have infrequent, kinda weird asthma that is only triggered by exposure to stuff like chlorine. I keep an inhaler in my gym bag & have to use it sometimes. The benefits of swimming outweigh the risks, though.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    I have only noticed that i lose most of the hair on my arms and legs as a result of more than 2 hours a day in the pool.
    My wife says it feels like i shaved my legs a few days ago ask the time.
    I wear a swim cap to reduce the impact on head hair.
    Due to "other" hair i assume the lycra swim caps offer no hair protection :)
  • emmab0902
    emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
    Options
    Interestingly my nutritionist friend said chlorine knocks out iodine. Which I wonder if that can slow metabolism and possibly account for why swimmers don't lose weight easily despite calorie balance??
  • AquaticQuests
    AquaticQuests Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    fishgutzy wrote: »
    I have only noticed that i lose most of the hair on my arms and legs as a result of more than 2 hours a day in the pool.
    My wife says it feels like i shaved my legs a few days ago ask the time.
    I wear a swim cap to reduce the impact on head hair.
    Due to "other" hair i assume the lycra swim caps offer no hair protection :)
    Same here!
    emmab0902 wrote: »
    Interestingly my nutritionist friend said chlorine knocks out iodine. Which I wonder if that can slow metabolism and possibly account for why swimmers don't lose weight easily despite calorie balance??
    Fascinating suggestion!