Not losing weight on Keto. PLEASE HELP.

Options

Replies

• deoxy4
    deoxy4 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I think a combination of stress, lack of sleep, maybe adrenal fatigue, exercise when your not at the top of your game may all contribute to your problem.

Maybe a chill and reset would help. I see you take 5-htp and zinc as a supplement. Maybe consider supplementing with magnesium, might be helpful. I am amazed at how much more relaxed and in control I feel when I take it. Stress depletes magnesium and most people are deficient to begin with. Magnesium is involve in over 300 enzymatic reactions in the body. Of all the supplements I have taken and I don't profess to have taken many; vitamin C and magnesium have been the top two which I can really say made a dramatic positive effect.

Give yourself a little slack too. A dietary blip hear or there won't be significant in the long run. You will figure it out, have confidence, it just takes a little time sometimes.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10225784/magnesium#latest
  • kinketo42
    kinketo42 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    kristafb wrote: »
    They have charts according to your height... in percentage wise, yes, fat always needs to be higher, but we focus more on the grams. I weigh 265lbs i was told to eat 120g protein, 75g fat and 20g carbs. Why give your body more fat when you are trying to lose? I changed to this woe and NEVER got hungry as i had 3x meals of 40g protein each and the weight just fell off. I dont have all the answers as i just joined the group and this is only my second week, but if you want to know more, follow KETOGENIC DIETERS on facebook and there will be admins who will be all too glad to help you on the correct path. It worked for me and I too struggled with losing weight :-)

Is that the OKL keto group? I was part of a group on fb for a while who did the OKL way which has higher protein. I lost weight the first week & half but then stalled again and started to gain. Everyone is different, what works for one may not work for another. I have a friend who can stay in ketosis eating a banana every day. Personally I struggle to get into ketosis if I eat more than 15 g of carbs. I have to be super strict. Its awesome when you find something that works. Hopefully we'll all work things out & start losing steadily soon.

I am very confused as to which "type" of KETO diet is right for me... On one hand the super high fat diet had me so nauseated I couldn't eat more than one meal a day... That all went away when I switched to a slight higher protein content.. But unfortunately higher protein is coming with some ugly side effect like cravings, insomnia, itchiness and (worst of all) inability to shed weight... so at this time I am trying to figure out if the FB group that states not to increase fat is the right way of KETOING for me... so far this week haven't gained but also haven't lost....:(
  • Ivonne_992
    Ivonne_992 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Why don't you try to increase your metabolism?

Try eating 120 g of protein, 200 g of carbs and 45 g of fat for a week, but from sources like chicken, eggs, oatmeal, veggies and fruits like oranges or apples.
    Then, go back on a keto diet.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    kinketo42 wrote: »
    kristafb wrote: »
    They have charts according to your height... in percentage wise, yes, fat always needs to be higher, but we focus more on the grams. I weigh 265lbs i was told to eat 120g protein, 75g fat and 20g carbs. Why give your body more fat when you are trying to lose? I changed to this woe and NEVER got hungry as i had 3x meals of 40g protein each and the weight just fell off. I dont have all the answers as i just joined the group and this is only my second week, but if you want to know more, follow KETOGENIC DIETERS on facebook and there will be admins who will be all too glad to help you on the correct path. It worked for me and I too struggled with losing weight :-)

Is that the OKL keto group? I was part of a group on fb for a while who did the OKL way which has higher protein. I lost weight the first week & half but then stalled again and started to gain. Everyone is different, what works for one may not work for another. I have a friend who can stay in ketosis eating a banana every day. Personally I struggle to get into ketosis if I eat more than 15 g of carbs. I have to be super strict. Its awesome when you find something that works. Hopefully we'll all work things out & start losing steadily soon.

I am very confused as to which "type" of KETO diet is right for me... On one hand the super high fat diet had me so nauseated I couldn't eat more than one meal a day... That all went away when I switched to a slight higher protein content.. But unfortunately higher protein is coming with some ugly side effect like cravings, insomnia, itchiness and (worst of all) inability to shed weight... so at this time I am trying to figure out if the FB group that states not to increase fat is the right way of KETOING for me... so far this week haven't gained but also haven't lost....:(

Most folks I know tend to have similar grams of protein and fats, just by the way it falls out. Doing extremes doesn't help. I posted this on your other post, but carbs are a limit, protein is a range, and fats should be to satiety... It sounds like you need to adjust once every few weeks to find your best zone.

Most people also lose a ton of water weight in the first week or two, stall for 2-4 weeks while they adapt (but continue losing inches), and then drop again.... If you're relatively early, that's likely the stage you are in. Ketogenic diets require patience and believing in the system.

Measure weight, inches, and take pictures. Usually when one thing is not changing, something else is...
  • little_robot
    little_robot Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    there's a really good book called "no fail fat burning for women" by skye st john. its like 4.99 on amazon kindle. in this book the author recommends a few things you can try.
    1. intermittent fasting with bulletproof coffee
    2. dont over exercise - 2 days a week of high intensity interval training at 15 min each. no continuous cardio- that contributes to adrenal fatigue.
    3. dont eat too little. make sure your macros are right for your size. in the beginning she suggest you dont count calories, just make sure your carbs are low and proteins are moderate.
    4. zero processed foods. none.

i have lost +20lbs using this approach but am currently in a weight stall. my stall has to do with carb creep, dairy and artificial sweeteners - all of which have caused problems for many women on keto. i was doing so well i thought i could add in nuts and dairy and sugar free gum - but for me, it stalls my weight loss :( so, back to the strict and super clean diet again.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Just be careful with intermittent fasting depending on how long you stretch it, as it can contribute to cortisol and physical stress problems for some of us...(particularly older or metabolically challenged folks).

And yeah, I've kind of been in a keto-statis, so I'm ready to shake things up again, too.

The rest of that list is awesome though.
  • Fema99
    Fema99 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Ivonne_992 wrote: »

Try eating 120 g of protein, 200 g of carbs and 45 g of fat for a week, but from sources like chicken, eggs, oatmeal, veggies and fruits like oranges or apples.

Thanks for the suggestion Ivonne_992 but I follow a different way of eating than you. I used to eat high carbs, low fat before and it got me where I'm today. We are different and for me LOW CARB works best. Thanks again though.
  • Fema99
    Fema99 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your suggestions. I have been noticing some improvements this past few days. I did reduce my cheese/dairy intake. I'm also working out less, trying to sleep more and trying to stay under 1400 cals, 20 carbs and about 60-80 protein & 90-120 fats. The scale is heading in the right direction so far this week. So I'm happy and hoping for a continued success.

• kristafb
    kristafb Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Fema99 wrote: »
    Thank you all for your suggestions. I have been noticing some improvements this past few days. I did reduce my cheese/dairy intake. I'm also working out less, trying to sleep more and trying to stay under 1400 cals, 20 carbs and about 60-80 protein & 90-120 fats. The scale is heading in the right direction so far this week. So I'm happy and hoping for a continued success.

Great news! I'm finally getting back on track myself. I downloaded the app from ketodietapp.com it has tons of great, easy recipes and lots off good info. I'm finally starting to feel like I'm getting back into ketosis, stinky breath & pee (sorry tmi lol) and decreased appetite. I have a ketonix and I'm still in the green (trace ketones) but at the higher end, 9 flashes, which is close to yellow (moderate ketones) and I was down a bit of weight this morning but nothing drastic yet. Fingers crossed I can stay on track and get the ball rolling again.

• Ivonne_992
    Ivonne_992 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Fema99 wrote: »
    Ivonne_992 wrote: »

Thanks for the suggestion Ivonne_992 but I follow a different way of eating than you. I used to eat high carbs, low fat before and it got me where I'm today. We are different and for me LOW CARB works best. Thanks again though.

Ah, okay, didnt knew it.
    So, you reduced kcals and exercise.
    When that stoppes to work, do the opposite :D
  • KETOGENICGURL
    KETOGENICGURL Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    The FB Ketogenic dieters have a VERY strict interpretation..and are not open to even using terms "incorrectly" on their site. Ive posted abut my run in due to MY understanding that ketogentic nutrition is NOT high protein..but with these people it IS..and they use grams only, as in 110 gr protein to 65 fat, low carb is the only comparison I recognized. no mention of LCHF, no use of % of macros..ever.

but it may work for YOUGER dieters… who can tolerate so much protein..and are moving more..I had to drop out as my age, metabolic issues, kidney disease don't allow an older female to follow their plan at all.

( I WAS surprised at how adamant they are about the high protein..which goes against EVERY BOOK/Article/talk, etc I have seen/read since learning about Keto. oh well. the published commercial articles that call Keto high protein must mean them.
  • JessicaLCHF
    JessicaLCHF Posts: 1,265 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    The FB Ketogenic dieters have a VERY strict interpretation..and are not open to even using terms "incorrectly" on their site. Ive posted abut my run in due to MY understanding that ketogentic nutrition is NOT high protein..but with these people it IS..and they use grams only, as in 110 gr protein to 65 fat, low carb is the only comparison I recognized. no mention of LCHF, no use of % of macros..ever.

but it may work for YOUGER dieters… who can tolerate so much protein..and are moving more..I had to drop out as my age, metabolic issues, kidney disease don't allow an older female to follow their plan at all.

( I WAS surprised at how adamant they are about the high protein..which goes against EVERY BOOK/Article/talk, etc I have seen/read since learning about Keto. oh well. the published commercial articles that call Keto high protein must mean them.

Sounds like an irritating group. That would only raise my cortisol, pass.
  • mcpostelle
    mcpostelle Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    It could be your body recomping itself. I wouldn't freak out. But depends on how long your plateau has been. When in doubt up fats drop carbs, and drink more water. Also there's been a lot of debate on whether artificial sweeteners set you back or not. Some say yes, some say no. All the long time ketoers that I know don't use them though.
  • V_Keto_V
    V_Keto_V Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Keto is great initially but everyone plateaus eventually. I would suggest cutting fat in half or so while upping protein 1-2 days a week (doing keto 5-6 days/week). Gluconeogenesis is a very slow process, it shouldn't knock you out of keto by upping protein 1-2 days; you could also do MCTs as fat sources on these days as well.
  • m_puppy
    m_puppy Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    V_Keto_V wrote: »
    Keto is great initially but everyone plateaus eventually. I would suggest cutting fat in half or so while upping protein 1-2 days a week (doing keto 5-6 days/week). Gluconeogenesis is a very slow process, it shouldn't knock you out of keto by upping protein 1-2 days; you could also do MCTs as fat sources on these days as well.

Why do you suggest this? I'm considering lowering my fat intake extensively, upping veggies and protein for one month then coming back to the typical keto diet. I would do this for no other reason than a reset of some variety without kicking myself out of ketosis.
  • V_Keto_V
    Options
    m_puppy wrote: »
    V_Keto_V wrote: »

Why do you suggest this? I'm considering lowering my fat intake extensively, upping veggies and protein for one month then coming back to the typical keto diet. I would do this for no other reason than a reset of some variety without kicking myself out of ketosis.
    Being pulsatile (not completely adapting to 1 diet and becoming refractory) while not having to completely overhaul a diet a once. You can still be consistent following a cyclical/weekly approach similar to doing 5:2 IF. 2 days/week "inconsistent" then 5 days/week consistent/normal diet. Basically for ease of compliance.

It's nowhere near the insanity of cyclical keto where carbs vary based on day of week and/or workout regimen.

• rainbowunicorns720
    rainbowunicorns720 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Try a fat fast (about 90% of cals from fat) or at least increase your fat intake some (while lowering protein). Really insulin resistant people cant usually tolerate high amounts of protein. To get the highest blood ketone readings I have to keep my macros at 80%+ fat and keep protein around 15%. The more protein I eat the higher my fasting blood glucose numbers get and I lose slower and slower. You could also try IF by eating in an 8 hour window or less. Less insulin release by eating less often which means more time spent burning fat!
  • rainbowunicorns720
    rainbowunicorns720 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Also, try weighing your food if you dont already. Its very easy to underestimate portion sizes and with a high fat diet its easy to eat far more calories than you realize since a slight miscalculation can mean being off by 1-200 cals (or more) at each meal. Also, dont eat back exercise cals if you normally do. Burn estimates are just that...estimates...and are usually far too generous..
  • V_Keto_V
    Options
    Also, try weighing your food if you dont already. Its very easy to underestimate portion sizes and with a high fat diet its easy to eat far more calories than you realize since a slight miscalculation can mean being off by 1-200 cals (or more) at each meal. Also, dont eat back exercise cals if you normally do. Burn estimates are just that...estimates...and are usually far too generous..
    It's how Keto should be done textbook, but in reality, it's tough having to eat considerably small volumes of food. Vegetables for high volume, low kcal density are also quite limited and not without issues (flattice/GI bloat).
  • lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    Options

That groups charts would push me out of ketosis because of high protein. But that's a personal metabolism thing. I operate better on higher fat.