Over a year of meat, non-fasting cholesterol.

Options
FIT_Goat
FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
This isn't a repeat. I gave blood again last weekend. I've gotten the most recent total cholesterol number.

Last Saturday, my cholesterol was 168 (mg/dL). That's lower than I expected; it's actually lower than I really want. I'm sure my doctor would love it though.

Anyway, for those of you worried about low-carb and your cholesterol, this is an example that things don't always work like you expect. I average over 200 grams of animal based (e.g. mostly saturated) fat every day. I consume absolutely no fiber. I eat eggs with reckless abandon--if we aren't meant to eat 12 at a time, why do they put them in packs of 12? I do everything that's supposed to make your cholesterol be sky-high. But, mine doesn't typically do that. It tends to vary around the 200 mg/dL point. I prefer it on the high side of that cut-off point.

Replies

• Sajyana
    Sajyana Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    B)
  • mcpostelle
    mcpostelle Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    FIT_Goat wrote: »
    I eat eggs with reckless abandon--if we aren't meant to eat 12 at a time, why do they put them in packs of 12? I do everything that's supposed to make your cholesterol be sky-high. But, mine doesn't typically do that. It tends to vary around the 200 mg/dL point. I prefer it on the high side of that cut-off point.

That bolded part had me laughing. I went through 3 dozen eggs in about 2 days and my family was in shock. Eggs are definitely a cheap, nutritious, and delicious thing to have to eat. And once on keto impossible to limit to less than 6. They're also amazing for soaking up fat. :yum: I've always had great (within normal range) lab results; so, I'd be interested in seeing my one year of full keto result. Thanks for sharing
  • KittensMaster
    KittensMaster Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    That is great

Do you do any exercises to work your cholesterol?
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    No, I don't really exercise consistently. Now... want to see a history of my cholesterol? I have lost a bunch of the numbers I have, but these are the ones I have (I donate blood every 2-4 months, although I stopped for a while). I think they started giving cholesterol numbers back in 2010. Almost all of these are non-fasted. Everything before February 2014 is pre-low carb, when I ate a lower fat diet and tried to eat healthy. Everything after that is keto or carnivore. Average pre-LC (which was largely low-fat+low-calorie+high-exercise) 171 mg/dL. Average post-LC 197 mg/dL (184 if you throw out that random 250 result). Overall average is 180. Basically, only a slight increase over my long term average.

August, 2010 181
    June, 2011 194
    August, 2011 141
    October, 148
    December, 2011 158
    January, 2012 176
    March, 2012 166
    May, 2012 151
    July, 2012 188
    September, 2012 205

February, 2014 168
    June, 2014 209
    January, 2015 250
    June, 2015 192
    August, 2015 168

My cholesterol is surprisingly consistent with where it falls. There's a slight increase, but my experience holds true that very little of your cholesterol is a result of diet. Now, what I wish I had was trigs for everything. I don't because you don't get those with blood donation (needs to be fasted). I am willing to bet the trigs/HDL ratio has improved dramatically, even though the overall numbers haven't changed much.

There's a period where I tried to go ultra low-fat and low-calories with tons of exercise, where my cholesterol was also very low (that's the 140s-150s numbers... where I tried to starve myself thin). So, I think my diet dragged it down. My current diet might have bumped it up a little, that diet might have dragged it down a little, but overall it hasn't changed much. Your body is going to make as much as it needs. Diet might change it a little, but it's not a huge amount. At least not for me, some people are hyper-responders to dietary changes.

Edit: I think I read somewhere that 10% of your total cholesterol can be changed by diet. If that's not true, it certainly is close to true for me. My totally different diets haven't moved my average by much more than 10% up or down from the long-term average.