"Oh wow how are you losing weight???"

Options
AngInCanada
AngInCanada Posts: 947 Member
I have such a hard time when someone asks me this. I work with a few vegan nurses so when in their presence I like to go on and on about how I eat lots of fat and very little carbs just to prove its NOT their way or the highway but when I get asked any other time I struggle with my answer. I usually end up saying "Oh I lowered my carbs and I am exercising" and most of the time that's the end of the conversation but if someone prods more I'll explain keto but I dont like to. I think its because of the whole saturated fat thing but i hate confrontation so I feel like my lower carbs answer is playing it safe.

So my question, when someone asks you, do you explain keto/low carb to them or do you stick to a generic answer ?

Replies

• KETOGENICGURL
    KETOGENICGURL Posts: 687 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Of course you COULD say "NO I am not." I'm the same..keep saying it..and you shrink. ( an mess with their minds by saying you are on an all popcorn diet, or all licorice, or only cough suryp… they may think anything you do is crazy anyway

Years ago when I worked in a big corp the HR manager actually came up and HUGGED me..encouraging me..boy was that inappropriate… so I never said anything after.

most people who see you are fat will assume you will fail anyway..and it is sad it takes a 50-90 ln loss to get attention you did something right.

For me I am short and high densityy..I can pack on 36 extra pounds and I look the same..so losing it is the same too…will take a while to really show..so I escape comment.

I TRIED talking about LC to a neighbor who was interested, but I could see the skeptical eyes…even loaned them Dana Carpenders recipe book, and Volek & Phinney's 2nd book on eatingLC..not sure if they are following ay of it.

I NEVER talk about butter/fats..as in FIght Club…"The first rule of LC is you don't talk about LC"..eh?

sorry I was no help at all
  • mcpostelle
    mcpostelle Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Some excellent answer that I've found is " Oh, I just eat low glycemic index foods", "I just don't eat refined sugars or processed carbs", or "I'm a carnivore." With a wicked grin. The last one is the one I use most since people will usually just laugh and tell me about their friend xxx and how they say the same thing. Subject then moves on. I haven't tried the first two yet, but that's what I've gathered from others. Unless they're genuinely curious I deflect the question. Sometimes it's unavoidable when they see you drown a cup of butter which is when I would would either fess up or deflect it with saying 1&2. I'm sick of people poking their noses into my eating habits so I try to avoid having that question asked or if I am I deflect it as much as possible.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    I've recently told people that I just gave up all fruits and vegetables. The last person I told this to thought she heard it wrong. When I explained that she hadn't, she thought it was a joke. Another coworker was there and told her it was no joke. The conversation stopped there. She had nothing to say. LOL
  • KenSmith108
    KenSmith108 Posts: 1,966 Member
    Options
    "I joined MFP. I have my calories set to 1800 & watch what I eat very carefully" If there's a second question it's usually "What's MFP?" Then I'm good to go. :)
  • sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I watch what and how much I eat, I try to eat only whole foods, so no processed or refined things anymore.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I think a safe response is that you are using MFP, tracking food and exercise.
    If they have any further questions that go into what you eat, I personally would start raving about my low carb experience, but if you don't want to deal with push back, maybe just say that you are avoiding so much processed and prepackaged foods and have found better appetite control through all of your changes. I mean, that may still open up more questions... Cuz who doesn't want those things!
  • Sajyana
    Sajyana Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    "I cut out sugar and grains and it's been working for me." I either get an, "Oh." and they drop the subject or I get an, "I could never do that." I rarely have anyone argue with me and the fact it's working is proof enough for me. I don't carry on arguments. I just keep answering with, "It's working for my body." People tire of that pretty quickly and drop it.
  • azcowgirrlup
    azcowgirrlup Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I also say I cut out sugar and grains etc that turn to glucose in my body. I tell them I was pre-diabetic and wanted to try eating different before I had to take meds. I was vegetarian up until I started keto, so the 1st thing they all say is "Oh! You were low on protein and needed more protein, didn't you?!".....uh, no, I ate more protein as a Veg*n, but I just bite my tongue and try not to injure myself. They know I am not exercising because of the surgery, so it does confuse them and frankly, I don't care any more. >:)
  • JessicaLCHF
    JessicaLCHF Posts: 1,265 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I have such a hard time when someone asks me this. I work with a few vegan nurses so when in their presence I like to go on and on about how I eat lots of fat and very little carbs just to prove its NOT their way or the highway but when I get asked any other time I struggle with my answer. I usually end up saying "Oh I lowered my carbs and I am exercising" and most of the time that's the end of the conversation but if someone prods more I'll explain keto but I dont like to. I think its because of the whole saturated fat thing but i hate confrontation so I feel like my lower carbs answer is playing it safe.

So my question, when someone asks you, do you explain keto/low carb to them or do you stick to a generic answer ?

I just say I don't eat carbs and leave it to that. Most time they aren't looking for a real answer, just making conversation.

If it does get deep first I talk about all the benefits I've had (off blood pressure meds, off diabetes meds, lost x amount of weight), and then I tell them it's LCHF and point them to google for the new diet of Sweden. I'll also tell them I cut the SAD RDA of carbs (300) to around 30. I don't freak them out about my macros cause it freaked me out for a long time! Like a year! I gradually had to add fat and get over my ingrained worldview. Lulz. But I do encourage them to go to YouTube and watch "Fathead". Sometimes I tell them it's like Atkins but with Atkins now synonymous with junky bars and shakes and the new plan of forty carbs a meal, I'm staying away from confusing them unless I think they know what "old school Atkins" is.
  • JessicaLCHF
    Options
    I also say I cut out sugar and grains etc that turn to glucose in my body. I tell them I was pre-diabetic and wanted to try eating different before I had to take meds. I was vegetarian up until I started keto, so the 1st thing they all say is "Oh! You were low on protein and needed more protein, didn't you?!".....uh, no, I ate more protein as a Veg*n, but I just bite my tongue and try not to injure myself. They know I am not exercising because of the surgery, so it does confuse them and frankly, I don't care any more. >:)

Lol, ppl! Everyone is so opinionated! That would drive me crazy, too.
  • JessicaLCHF
    Options
    FIT_Goat wrote: »
    I've recently told people that I just gave up all fruits and vegetables. The last person I told this to thought she heard it wrong. When I explained that she hadn't, she thought it was a joke. Another coworker was there and told her it was no joke. The conversation stopped there. She had nothing to say. LOL

lol. "...then I ate a bar of butter in front of them".
  • JessicaLCHF
    Options
    most people who see you are fat will assume you will fail anyway..and it is sad it takes a 50-90 ln loss to get attention you did something right.

For me I am short and high densityy..I can pack on 36 extra pounds and I look the same..so losing it is the same too…will take a while to really show..so I escape comment.

I NEVER talk about butter/fats..as in FIght Club…"The first rule of LC is you don't talk about LC"..eh?

sorry I was no help at all

Agree with these experiences so much! Go, us! ;) "Fighting!" (Kdrama reference)
  • DianaElena76
    DianaElena76 Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    Sajyana wrote: »
    "I cut out sugar and grains and it's been working for me." I either get an, "Oh." and they drop the subject or I get an, "I could never do that." I rarely have anyone argue with me and the fact it's working is proof enough for me. I don't carry on arguments. I just keep answering with, "It's working for my body." People tire of that pretty quickly and drop it.

This is pretty much what I say. "I don't eat bread, pasta, rice, potatoes, tortillas, or sugar." And what I get is, "Oh, I could never do that," while they tell me how awesome I look. :) If they ask follow-up questions, it's usually because they are truly interested. I'm pretty dismissive about it too, because I'm not trying to convert people--I'm just doing what I do. If they want to know more it's because they want the same success, and then I'm happy to share. Interestingly, my father-in-law and his wife are just starting low-carb, spurred by the successes of FIL's brother and his wife (who have each lost 10-15 lbs). When I told him, "Oh yeah, that's what I do--and I've lost 44 pounds," his jaw almost hit the floor. He knew I'd lost weight but not how much. That made my day.
  • KittensMaster
    KittensMaster Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    I normally say that I eat naturally occurring food.

If it grows naturally I eat it.

Since there is no cookie tree or ice cream bush, I don't eat those.

I tell them I eat real identifiable meat, not ground up mystery stuff, as yummy as it may be.

I eat fibrous veggies.

Just normal food. Not processed stuff.

People at work know I workout and change in to my cycling clothes in the office.

Losing 130 lbs and working out for a while pretty much has stopped any comments about what I do not working.

I really don't care if anyone approves of what I do. Maybe that comes across too.

People more want to know how to add muscle than lose fat.

• chaoticdreams
    chaoticdreams Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I just tell them I eat low carb. So far, no one has given me a lecture or funny looks. Most of my coworkers are pretty fly..... I have two that scoff. One thinks low carb ='s all you can eat meat and nothing else (she was shocked when I said I eat salads) and the other is still on the low fat bandwagon. While the latter doesn't preach at me, she's actually pretty supportive, she just can't stop going around pushing people on low fat everything LOL. The former is actually my workplace nemesis (sad that I have one of those) and she has to disagree with me on everything on principal. I don't force my opinions or WOE on any of them though. If they ask a question I answer truthfully.

Family on the other hand...... Sigh. My grandmother has quit inviting me over to eat because she's afraid she can't fix ANYTHING for me to eat. I'm like, memal, I can eat meat and veggies, I just can't have your dumplings, taters, or starches. "Oh, I cooked pork chops and turnip greens today, but I put bacon grease in the greens and I know your dieting, so I didn't want to bother you."

/faceplam

I love her so much LOL.
  • KittensMaster
    KittensMaster Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    That sounds yummy

Pork chops and greens!
  • JessicaLCHF
    edited August 2015
    Options
    lol @chaoticdreams , your story made me smile. Family are the best even if their trying is way off base. I am having surgery and ladies at church bring suppers for five days following. I DID give dietary guidelines (many ppl have them) but we will see how they are interpreted! Should be interesting.

This is what I put, "Fred and I are sugar free and low carb. With his fatty liver he cannot have carbs or starches like potatoes, rice, pasta, or wheat. A rotisserie chicken, a large green salad, or a plate of bunless hotdogs are great. We can have chili if it is made with no honey, sugar, molasses or sweetener. We can't eat dessert or fruit except for raw berries."

As most meals are usually rice or pasta based for this sort of thing I realize I'm really stretching them. I appreciate their kindness either way, tho.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    My son stopped me from saying low carb and just say no sugar and grains when talking with others. He (17) said most people do not even know what carbohydrates are or what foods contain them.
  • mebeep
    mebeep Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    My son stopped me from saying low carb and just say no sugar and grains when talking with others. He (17) said most people do not even know what carbohydrates are or what foods contain them.

Great point, I usually get a blank stare when I say carbohydrate. Or on the other hand I'll get told I'm going to die as my body attacks its muscles...... Ugh. I've mostly just shut up about it, which tells me it's now my woe because I don't need groupies to continue.

• ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    "Drink my own pee."
    "Upped the voltage."
    "Monthly virgin sacrifice."
    "Dog poop facials."

I often reply to questions with inappropriate and snarky comments, but my friends know that. Seriously, those who know me know how, because I've made no secret about my surgery. Also, I have amazing RBF, so strangers pretty much don't speak to me. Ever.

I'd pay good money to see one of you normal people answer with one of my answers though. Seriously.