ketosis

Options
2»

Replies

• camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Thanks! And I by no means am complaining about 2 lbs a week. Just in comparison to the last time I did LCHF, I am losing a lot slower. Didn't think 5 years would make much difference on my metabolism, but boy was I wrong. As said, the number is going down and as long as it continues to do so, no complaints here. I just get impatient, as I'm sure most everyone does at times. Not sure why. It's definitely not a race by any means. :)
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »

15 pounds in two months is almost 2 pound per week. That is not slow at all... I guess the whoosh you had at first must have spoiled you, because there are many of us losing much slower that would KILL at burger to being losing at nearly 2 pounds a week! Congrats on your losses regardless.

I like this blog on LCHF the second time around: https://proteinpower.com/drmike/2009/01/16/why-is-low-carb-harder-the-second-time-around/

Slow but sure will get you there eventually, and help you keep it off. At least that is my plan!
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    camtosh wrote: »
    Thanks! And I by no means am complaining about 2 lbs a week. Just in comparison to the last time I did LCHF, I am losing a lot slower. Didn't think 5 years would make much difference on my metabolism, but boy was I wrong. As said, the number is going down and as long as it continues to do so, no complaints here. I just get impatient, as I'm sure most everyone does at times. Not sure why. It's definitely not a race by any means. :)
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »

15 pounds in two months is almost 2 pound per week. That is not slow at all... I guess the whoosh you had at first must have spoiled you, because there are many of us losing much slower that would KILL at burger to being losing at nearly 2 pounds a week! Congrats on your losses regardless.

I like this blog on LCHF the second time around: https://proteinpower.com/drmike/2009/01/16/why-is-low-carb-harder-the-second-time-around/

Slow but sure will get you there eventually, and help you keep it off. At least that is my plan!

Quote from the blog.
    "they start doing a ‘half-fast’ (if you get my drift) low-carb diet"

I thought that was a funny play on words. I had to share it. Not saying anyone is doing a "half-fast" diet. Just funny stuff. Lol
  • KittensMaster
    KittensMaster Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    I have not had a keto stick for over a year

May buy some just to check weekly.

• boohooboo
    boohooboo Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    thanks, all. i guess in the end, the scale may not move as quickly as i would like it to, but it *is* moving, albeit at a snail's pace. my expectations were probably too high -- i have a lot of weight to lose, and i guess i would start off with a serious whoosh. but i know things are changing -- and i am changing, too.
  • kiramaniac
    kiramaniac Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Ketostix are measuring the density of ketones in your urine. As Baconslave mentions, for urine, it's measuring Acetoactetate (which, over time, decreases in your urine). If you drink more water with the same amount of ketone in your urine, they will have a lower density, and the ketostix will register a lighter pink. If you drink less water with the same amount of ketones, they will have a higher density and register a darker pink. For this reason, it's really just an indicator of "are you in ketosis or not", and not how deeply in ketosis you are. If I ever see a dark pink, it means I need to drink more water.

Also, a reminder that excess protein converts to glucose, and will actually IMPEDE ketosis.

I'm a fan of the keto calculator. If you are sedentary, use the low-end of protein recommendations. If you do a lot of weights and working out, go to the higher end.
    http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/
  • pennell12
    pennell12 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    nicintime wrote: »
    Stop counting net carbs and count total carbs. Net carbs poorly done is the main reason for 'carb creep'. Once you hit your goals slowly add back in carbs and see how your body does.

In my opinion this way of eating is NOT easy without the wonderful benefits of dietary ketosis. Dancing around the edges seems to my observation to be counterproductive - especially long term.

Oh - and it is not just the calorie restriction that causes weight loss. When you are fully keto adapted your body processes your intake differently and can release your fat stores easier - especially if you are insulin resistant.

Can you explain what is means to be "keto adapted"?

• kiramaniac
    kiramaniac Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    pennell12 wrote: »

Can you explain what is means to be "keto adapted"?

Here's a good summary: http://www.ketotic.org/2012/05/keto-adaptation-what-it-is-and-how-to.html