Dinner

Options
DietPrada
DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
Last night I had some chicken breasts (they've been cheap lately) and I didn't know what to do with them (we eat them often).

I found a packet of Masterfoods Carbonara Recipe Base in the cupboard (AUS - designed for making pasta) and was surprised to see it only had 3g of carbs per serve and only like 80 cals for the whole packet.

So I sliced up the chicken breast, put it in a casserole dish with some broccoli and bacon, mixed the recipe base with some cream, poured it over the top and topped it with grated cheese. An hour and a bit in the oven and it was done.

Even my other half thought it was great. :)

Replies

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    That does sound good!
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Yum! I've noticed the breasts are becoming the cheaper piece. I haven't bought chicken breast in at least six years. Love the thighs!
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Leg quarters can be found SUPER CHEAP a lot of times. Usually you can get a 10 pounds bag for $8. If on sale, a friend found them for like $0.20/pound... Most people just don't have any idea what to do with the leg quarter, but really, all it is is the thigh WITH drumstick and a small portion of the back/rib cage. So they are great to cook - and then you have amazing bones to roast and make bone broth with!
  • KittensMaster
    KittensMaster Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Wings are never cheap!!!
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Wings are never cheap!!!

Unless you catch them on clearance - and the ones with the upper part attached, not just the wing tip, are cheaper, too. I've seen those for $1 per pound or so a couple times now.
  • slimzandra
    slimzandra Posts: 955 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Seek out the organically raised chicken and pay a few bucks more when you can.
    Chicken at 56 Days.
    ah5tfxng51mf.jpg
  • mlinton_mesapark
    mlinton_mesapark Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Made a buttermilk-brined grilled chicken breast recipe yesterday. Easy prep, just takes some planning ahead. The whole family loved it, which was a feat, given how picky my daughters are these days.

http://www.sippitysup.com/a-thing-or-two-about-grilled-buttermilk-chicken/
  • greenautumn17
    greenautumn17 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Planning on chicken fajitas myself tonight (sans tortillas that is)! Yet, of all the meats, I would have to say chicken is my least favorite.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    slimzandra wrote: »
    Chicken at 56 Days.
    ah5tfxng51mf.jpg

This is utterly terrifying.
  • JodehFoster
    JodehFoster Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I love quarters, grab bags when they are on sale, usually $5.99 10#. I roast them & vac seal in pairs & toss in freezer for a quick sear on the grill later.

Dark meat all the way!
  • DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    Well unfortunately in Australia, breast is the cheapest cut. For example I can pick up breast for $6 per kg, but thighs (which I prefer) are about $14 a kg.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    We are making the flip, here in the southern U.S., to dark meat being the more expensive piece of chicken. But yes, dark meat, all the way!
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    Chicken at 56 Days.
    ah5tfxng51mf.jpg

Yep this stuff drives me nuts. I like chicken breast, but when they are they size of a turkey breast I won't buy it, that's just not natural. We are going to buy a chest freezer hopefully soon so I can go to the local farms and buy whole heirloom chickens, they are raised naturally and humanely, it'll cost me more but I'll feel a lot better about it.
  • Meeezonajourney
    Meeezonajourney Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Chicken at 56 Days.
    ah5tfxng51mf.jpg

Chicken breasts today are as big as the turkey ones when I was a kid in the seventies. Go big or go home!
  • Sajyana
    Sajyana Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Well unfortunately in Australia, breast is the cheapest cut. For example I can pick up breast for $6 per kg, but thighs (which I prefer) are about $14 a kg.

This is the opposite in Brisbane. Breasts are $9 a kg (although the organic, free range can be up to $26 which is insane) but I buy chicken thighs with skin on for $4.99 kg. Chicken legs are usually around $4-$5 a kg as well. These are Woolworths prices.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    I think the marketing people in the USA being able to get people to believe buffalos have wings ran up the demand/price for chicken wings. :)
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    I think the marketing people in the USA being able to get people to believe buffalos have wings ran up the demand/price for chicken wings. :)

lol too funny, I live near buffalo and wings are fairly cheap here last I checked. I guess we have an over abundance
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    I found "whole" wings, which I guess has the upper arm/wing drummie thing attached, on sale for $1.50 per pound, normal price was $3/pound or something. Didn't get them, because they were close to date and I didn't know when we might cook them. But if you watch, you can find sales, depending on store. That was Walmart, Pilgrim's Pride brand, I think.
  • KittensMaster
    KittensMaster Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    The steroid jacked chicken and meat scares me

I buy the hormone free stuff

• bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    Chicken at 56 Days.
    ah5tfxng51mf.jpg

rkg6jbxd54ks.jpg