FAQ - Syncing, logging food & exercise, calorie adjustments, activity levels, accuracy

Options

Replies

• FishingMachine
    FishingMachine Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    Section Two - More Details

Why should I manual log a workout?
    For non-HR devices, the calorie burn for movement is totally based on steps and distance seen and your weight.
    This can actually be very accurate, more than HRM if flat and distance is correct.
    Your device does dynamically adjust stride length as you walk, but it is based on the set stride length and your weight, which gives an expected impact on each step. The amount of actual impact compared to that figure results in a stride length that is actually used right then.
    So dynamic stride length and time = pace and weight = calories burned.
    Different formulas for walking and running lead to that accuracy, and are only valid for walking and running flat, since the device has no idea of incline, or even carrying extra weight (which would effect impact seen) for that matter.
    So other exercise that is not step based, would not be valid calorie burn based on those formulas, and that's assuming all the non-"steps" are even seen, which they probably aren't. Like biking or elliptical.
    Some exercises don't even have steps for all the hard effort, like rowing, lifting, swimming, yoga, pilates.

For HR devices, calorie burn for daily activity is still step based as that is more accurate, but for exercise it's based on HR formula. HR formula is used when you start an activity record with button press, and your steps are high enough to indicate the higher HR is indeed from exercise, or HR and steps go up to show exercise is being done. Otherwise it thinks elevated HR due to something else and just uses step calculation.

HR formula is only a decent calorie estimate when the exercise is steady-state aerobic, same HR for 2-4 min. Anything anaerobic, like good lifting or interval workout, which is also non-steady-state HR, is not valid use of formula and will result in inflated calorie burn. Step based would actually be best for intervals.

So lifting should be manually logged with either device type.
    MFP has Strength training for 5-15 reps and sets and rests of 2-4 min, Circuit training for 15 plus reps and rests of 1 min or less and several circuits, Calisthenics for body weight usually over 20 reps and brief rests. Fitbit has Weights, Circuit Training, Calisthenics to match.

Reasons for Fitbit estimating better calorie burn on manual logging than MFP.
    Mainly applies for non-HR devices, or if HR seen is not accurate.
    MFP and Fitbit and many other sites use the same METS database that is publicly available. Results of database for activities are given as a multiplier of your resting metabolism - 1 MET.

For MFP to use it based on your weight, they use a common assumed conversion (1 MET = 1 cal/kg/hr). But it can be clearly seen that 2 people with the same weight can have very different resting metabolism (RMR), so those assumptions can have some inaccuracy. A young muscular goal weight male could have the same weight as an older overweight female. Guess who's MET calorie burn is actually higher? Guess who receives inflated calorie burn using MFP's database? Yes, MFP could indeed improve this, but that's why they sync with activity trackers now. Same as Fitbit won't improve their food log because just easier to sync with MFP and others for that.

So Fitbit leaves the database at METS, and actually uses the calculated BMR they use for all non-moving calorie burn, as the basis for exercise calorie burn.
    Their database also has some exercises with more options for intensity, like swimming or biking based on actual speed, or elliptical and spinning with choices of intensity, at least giving a chance to get better accuracy.
    So yes you could manually log either place, especially if you have a more accurate calorie burn anyway, but Fitbit is better if using the database entry.
    To inform your friends that you are indeed working out, just make a wall posting about the workout, including more useful info than 1 line would provide. More inspiring that way too I think.

Why does MFP have a different eating goal than Fitbit's?
    So even if you have both sites setup for same 500 cal deficit say, they will not match for eating goal until the day is finished. While the day is progressing, they use different methods, more on that later.
    Recommend don't follow 2 roads to same destination, use MFP for food and eating goals, use Fitbit for daily movement goals and exercise logging.

How does the Fitbit calorie adjustment work?

How it works will allow seeing why the differences occur too. But have to understand the basics first.
    Laying out some numbers to use for pretend person in below math.
    BMR : 1600
    Sedentary on MFP gives daily non-exercise calorie burn : 2000
    Deficit for 1 lb weekly loss : 500
    Eating goal on non-exercise days : 2000 - 500 = 1500

What happens without Fitbit data at end of day.
    Log 300 calorie burn exercise.
    Daily burn 2000 + 300 exercise = 2300 total estimated daily burn
    2300 - 500 deficit = 1800 eating goal
    MFP keeps it simple by just adding the exercise to eating goal though.
    1500 + 300 = 1800 eating goal. Same 500 cal deficit.

So that activity level may or may not be true, MFP is going to use Fitbit data to correct it, here's how at end of day again.
    Fitbit reports daily 2500 calorie burn, perhaps that includes a manually logged workout in it, or that's what it saw anyway so no logging needed.
    Fitbit 2500 - 2000 MFP estimate = 500 calorie positive adjustment.
    Eating goal 1500 + 500 = 2000 new eating goal. Same 500 cal deficit.

Say you log that 300 cal workout on MFP so it knows about it. And it matches what Fitbit thought you burned anyway, so overwrite on Fitbit causes no change in data.
    Fitbit 2500 - 2000 MFP - 300 exercise = 200 cal adjustment.
    Eating 1500 + 300 exercise + 200 adj = 2000 new eating goal. Same 500 cal deficit.

Say Fitbit said your daily burn was 2600 prior to manually logging, then after manual logging 300 cal workout it went down to 2500. That means it estimated 400 cal for that workout, but you replaced the calorie burn. Logging the workout in Fitbit or MFP would be the same effect.

So what happens when you have big adjustments but no exercise done?
    It means your actual activity is higher than you selected in MFP. If you can still meet your eating goal daily with big adjustments, that's fine.
    Otherwise it might be wiser to increase activity level to reduce adjustments, because better planning leads to better success, in most cases.

So what happens when you have smaller adjustments than what the exercise did burn?
    It means either your activity level is lower than you selected, or your body is doing the first thing it does when undereating by too much - it makes you move less.
    Fitbit tries to help with that effect by having the step goals, to try to keep you moving. Sadly, if the body can't adapt by moving you less, it'll slow you down in other ways to still compensate.
    But you may easily see that you have a hard 800 calorie burn workout, but then move around a whole lot less in the evening, leading to an adjustment that is only 700 calories.

So Fitbit 2700 - 2000 MFP = 700 cal adjustment.
    Eating goal 1500 + 700 = 2200 new eating goal. Same 500 cal deficit.
    If you manually logged that in MFP so you could see it, and it matched what Fitbit saw already, you'd get:
    Fitbit 2700 - 2000 MFP - 800 exercise = - 100 cal adjustment. That's negative.
    Eating 1500 + 800 exercise - 100 adj = 2200 new goal. Same 500 cal deficit.

Isn't that wonderful the way it works! Helps you to always eat less than you burn. And if you picked a reasonable weekly weight loss goal, you'll always have the same deficit no matter what.

Perhaps you do best with a single daily eating goal though no matter the daily activity which is pretty consistent week to week, so you want to use Weekly average TDEE deficit method.
    You need to confirm you are manually logging on Fitbit whatever workouts you should be.
    You need to unsync accounts so your manually set eating goal doesn't change.
    You need to look at your weekly Fitbit report under Total Cals Burned - Daily Average. Take that x 0.8 for 20% off or x 0.85 for 15% off, ect, and set that new figure as your eating goal, reached every day.
    Just adjust as needed if the TDEE changes enough. Your MFP activity level, weight loss goal, ect, don't matter now. But neither will the math that MFP does, because it isn't aware you are doing exercise. Which if you log workouts on MFP too, it must be done as 1 cal, but better just to make a wall post about it anyway.

What happens to those Fitbit calorie adjustments during the day?
    Same pretend person as above, but using 3 pm as sync time, or 15:00 hrs, which is 62.5% of the day (15/24), meaning 37.5% is left.

MFP estimated daily burn 2000 x 0.375 = 750 more calories to the day.
    Whatever Fitbit reports for the calorie burn up to that point, 750 is added on for Full Day Projection.
    Let's say no workout yet, Fitbit reports 1375 burned.
    Fitbit 1375 + 750 MFP rest of day = 2125 projected.
    Fitbit 2125 - 2000 MFP estimated = 125 cal adjustment so far at 3 pm.

Let's say you did that 300 cal workout 2 - 3 pm and sync right then.
    Fitbit 1675 + 750 MFP = 2425 projected
    Fitbit 2425 - 2000 MFP = 425 cal adjustment.

So any exercise done early in the day does NOT cause inflated for rest of the day. Rest of the day is based on the activity level you selected in MFP.
    This would be a case for seeing if your whole evening is pretty sedentary after work, then setting MFP to Sedentary even though rest of the day is say Lightly active or more, might make sense. Just depends on what you find out the morning after the day has completed. If you met the last eating goal you saw before going to bed, but the morning says you went over by 100 calories or more, then going down an activity level might be good.

Now, there is a twist to this depending on how often you sync, and that is what Fitbit reports to MFP. Fitbit has 2 options for calculating your per min burn until you sync device and it has real stats to look at.

Sedentary or Personalized under Log - Food - Food Plan section - settings icon, some older accounts also call this Calorie Estimation under View Settings - Settings.

Sedentary means Fitbit is estimating a per minute calorie burn barely above BMR and much less than MFP's Sedentary setting, and until a sync gives updated stats, that's what it reports to MFP.
    So if you don't sync until late in the day, Fitbit could be reporting to MFP very underestimated calorie burn and you'd see negative calorie adjustments, until you finally synced and possibly got a big surprise you might have problems meeting as an eating goal.
    If you sync often it wouldn't matter as much, as each new device sync causes a new sync with MFP with that new data. Or at least sync before final meals.

Personalized means Fitbit is estimating a per minute calorie burn based on historical daily data (week and weekend different), and until a device sync that gives updated stats, that's what is reported to MFP. If each day is close that's not so bad, and if you sync at end of day, there wouldn't be as much of a difference. Calorie adjustments would slowly increase but not jump after a workout that you didn't sync yet, but by end of day it would be in there if it was normally done.
    Again, if you sync often it doesn't matter.

Fitbit syncs to MFP after daily calorie burn goes up by 100, or a device sync or change of stats that it syncs over.
    So if Fitbit is set at Sedentary, it should take longer than 1 hr to sync new daily burn to MFP, if set to Personalized, it should be under 1 hr. Or quicker if device syncs or manually logged workout.
    [Thanks for posting all of this. I am looking forward to seeing how all of this works together]
  • FishingMachine
    FishingMachine Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting all of this great stuff ! I am looking forward to seeing how all of this works together !
  • brose01
    brose01 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My fitbit account was showing up in my MFP dashboard. For some reason it just stopped. I disconnected and reconnected. I can't seem to find out how to force a sync. 1. Any suggestions as to why this quit after working fine for over a month? 2. How to force a sync between the two (I have Web, iPhone, & iPad access.)
  • alliefiorini
    alliefiorini Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    brose01 wrote: »
    My fitbit account was showing up in my MFP dashboard. For some reason it just stopped. I disconnected and reconnected. I can't seem to find out how to force a sync. 1. Any suggestions as to why this quit after working fine for over a month? 2. How to force a sync between the two (I have Web, iPhone, & iPad access.)

This exact same thing happened to me today and I can't figure it out. I can't force a sync, and I've gone and disconnected the two accounts and reconnected. I also deleted the apps and downloaded again - no luck. One thing I am noticing is that it keeps defaulting to iphone for the step tracker - I disabled motion and fitness in settings, and then further went to the motion and fitness option in privacy and disabled it there so my iphone can't track anything at all. Still no luck, and when I try to choose fitbit or don't track steps it just defaults back to iphone. This is really frustrating.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Please check the general topics as people actually see those, the stickies aren't really checked as often and not great place to do general troubleshooting.

Suggest pick a topic already matching your issues, may have answer or at least news on it.
  • tpoore1
    tpoore1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    FitBit Charge HR accuracy?

I am in Australia and set up my Fitbit using km/cm as the unit of measurement. However when I do my walk, Fitbit dashboard consistently records about 2/3rd of my distance - compare with MapMyFitness, e.g. MMF 6.3km 9,240 steps over 60 minutes as compare to Fitbit 4.02km 5,902 steps over 60 minutes.. I suspect that Fitbit is actually recording the distance as miles rather than km even though the default measurement is km. Of course when I sync MMF with Fitbit, it causes a great deal of confusion. Does anyone else has the same issue?

Also since calorie adjustment is shown as Under Armour, all sorts of crazy figures are being pulled through. Yesterday I walked one hour, otherwise had a rather non active day, I had expected the 320 cal adj from MMF and no more. However, MFP is showing the 320 as expected plus 983 calories "Under Armour calorie adjustment".

I have deleted and then reconnect and re-sync the various connections many times. Nothing seems to work. I am totally confused. The current setting is MMF -> MFP and Fitbit -> MMF. Ideally I would like to be able to turn off the "calorie adjustment" all together.

Any suggestions where I might have gone wrong / how to fix would be appreciated.
  • heybales
    edited August 2015
    Options
    tpoore1 wrote: »
    FitBit Charge HR accuracy?

I am in Australia and set up my Fitbit using km/cm as the unit of measurement. However when I do my walk, Fitbit dashboard consistently records about 2/3rd of my distance - compare with MapMyFitness, e.g. MMF 6.3km 9,240 steps over 60 minutes as compare to Fitbit 4.02km 5,902 steps over 60 minutes.. I suspect that Fitbit is actually recording the distance as miles rather than km even though the default measurement is km. Of course when I sync MMF with Fitbit, it causes a great deal of confusion. Does anyone else has the same issue?

Also since calorie adjustment is shown as Under Armour, all sorts of crazy figures are being pulled through. Yesterday I walked one hour, otherwise had a rather non active day, I had expected the 320 cal adj from MMF and no more. However, MFP is showing the 320 as expected plus 983 calories "Under Armour calorie adjustment".

I have deleted and then reconnect and re-sync the various connections many times. Nothing seems to work. I am totally confused. The current setting is MMF -> MFP and Fitbit -> MMF. Ideally I would like to be able to turn off the "calorie adjustment" all together.

Any suggestions where I might have gone wrong / how to fix would be appreciated.

Sadly the general readers of the topics won't find this response in the FAQ.

I'd suggest changing the default value in your Fitbit web account to miles while the app is fully closed on your phone. Then set it back to Metric.

Then do the treadmill test as indicated in the FAQ. Your steps and estimated distance could actually be off that much.

But - is MMF using GPS or step based estimate of distance? Because that could be off too, in which case you don't know which one is true, they are merely different, neither could be correct.
    4mph if that is the issue is pretty fast walk - was it really that fast of a walk?

The sync shouldn't cause any confusion though, Fitbit data is overwritten by workout data.

You also might see the topics that discuss some issues with extra adjustments as you might be reporting, though that could be easily true.
    You'd need to confirm the actual data the math is based on - not the results of the math. Which means looking at the Fitbit data and seeing if indeed your daily burn was that high. If reported as such - then either it did happen or there were issues with extra steps, or time zones are off and Fitbit workout data was there plus the MMF workout data on different time - so doubled-up.

But troubleshooting belongs in general topics so others can both comment if they have the issue, or learn. If you start topic there, suggest you provide the extra details I ask for on Fitbit data.
  • jezzy32908
    jezzy32908 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I figured out my stride on a treadmill last night and found my running stride was the same as my walking stride 2ft 9in. Does this sound right? Has anyone else had this?
  • heybales
    Options
    jezzy32908 wrote: »
    I figured out my stride on a treadmill last night and found my running stride was the same as my walking stride 2ft 9in. Does this sound right? Has anyone else had this?

If starting jogging, that could be very possible while out of breath and feeling like you are dying.
    Turnover with good running form is also usually 90/180 per min, while walking is 60/120 per min. So that lessons the difference too.

You may be taking longer slower stride walking, which will eventually prevent you from walking faster.

And taking faster shorter strides running, which will have the same problem of preventing you from getting faster.

After you lose some weight or been doing it awhile (if you haven't), I'd redo the jogging stride.
  • drhelibhatt
    drhelibhatt Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Hi.. Thanks a lot for all the facts and calculations it is really informative. I have a Fitbit flex, & I was wondering if you could tell me how should I log my 28 minutes elliptical exercise: for example, today was I wore my Fitbit throughout my exercise and after the exercise, I logged my starting time and the duration on Fitbit app. As per fitbit, I burnt 193 cal and as per the machine, I burnt 250 cal (after logging my weight and age on the machine) Which one should I believe? Will Fitbit automatically calculate how many calories are burned for non-stop exercises like elliptical? Did I log it like I should or should I be logging it differently?
  • heybales
    Options
    That's why the FAQ says to log manually non-step based exercise for non-HR devices.

The formula for calorie burn for walking and running doesn't translate to other exercise, which Fitbit is using, which isn't going to see nearly as much impact from elliptical steps (that's the point right, low impact despite the effort) and therefore think you were not walking that hard/long.
    As long as you entered your weight in machine (age is used for the HR zones), wearing what you wore (doubt you did it naked), then machine has much better estimate.

As FAQ mentions, if using database calorie burn, then use Fitbit, if other better estimate, than Fitbit or MFP doesn't matter.
  • drhelibhatt
    drhelibhatt Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Thanks a lot, Heybales!! This helps a lot!! :)
  • robinalexis
    robinalexis Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Make a wall post about your workout - look at my profile as example.

Workouts do NOT come over to MFP.

• hunter87544
    hunter87544 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I am interested in this post. I just obtained my fitbit charge HR yesterday. So far, so good.
  • kbusenbark
    kbusenbark Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    fairleee wrote: »
    I've just got my Surge, and I've synced it today with MFP. Today, I went to the gym, and did a spin class (which I tracked on my surge), hit the treadmill (which I tracked as a general 'workout' on my surge), and then did some weight/bodyweight exercises (which I tracked as 'weights'). I used the logs that Surge created to then create exercises on MFP with accurate calorie burn info (so, a 45 minute spin class burned 540 calories, 25 minutes of weights burned 160 etc.). However, when I then synced MFP with my Fitbit, it duplicated all those activities into my exercise log on Fitbit, and manually added the calories burned onto my calorie-burned log (so I jumped from about 2200 calories burned to over 3000 calories burned) - basically, each exercise was duplicated, and as a result it manually adjusted my calories burned figure on Fitbit by adding on the duplicated calories.

So, my question is, what is the best workaround for this? I don't mind where I track the exercises I do, as long as I am tracking them, but clearly I can't track them with both Fitbit and MFP, because it creates duplicates. I'd prefer to track with Fitbit, because that way I have more usable data - I can track the time spent on each exercise more accurately, track my heart rate patterns over the exercise duration etc. Would it therefore make sense to continue using my Surge to track the exercises as I do them, then not log the exercises into MFP, but simply rely on the Fitbit adjusted calorie figure to adjust my daily calories burned figure in MFP?

Reread the first half of the FAQ for question that says activity record, it's in there what happened.

Edit - which half.

I am having the same problem as the user above - I read all of the FAQs above and they did not help me. I have tried disconnecting and re-syncing. I have tried waiting overnight. Can someone please just baby step this for me? What do I need to do to get the recorded and calculating accurately between FitBit and MFP? If I log in MFP - then it duplicates in FitBit (because FitBit recorded it). If I don't log in MFP, then only the step count and calories associated with them are coming over from FitBit to MFP. The actual calories burned are not transferring. I already read the entire post above, so please don't point me there again. I am obviously slow and not getting it - I apologize for my lack of technical savvy. Thank you.
  • heybales
    Options
    You have some misconception about how you think things work - and therefore the FAQ doesn't make sense to you.
    Might reread it again with no preconceived notions for other points I don't answer for you here - stick to the first half though, which should be enough for you regarding common questions.

A Workout record manually made or synced from MFP (or other app) to Fitbit is NOT duplicating calories of an existing Activity record made by the device which is merely a snapshot of Fitbit stats for that block of time.
    If start time/duration match between them, the workout is replacing the calorie burn of the activity - and the activity as a snapshot will remain exactly the same, but no longer be included in the current stats.
    It can be deleted if desired.
    Then again - if this is exercise that Fitbit already has good calorie burn estimate of - why manually log on MFP in the first place?

The Fitbit calorie adjustment is NOT your calories from exercise - merely the difference between Fitbit daily burn minus MFP estimated daily burn. Could include exercise, could include none.

As far as issues - it sounds like you actually don't have any.

"only the step count and calories associated with them are coming over from FitBit to MFP. The actual calories burned are not transferring."

I'm guessing you are trying to distinguish between daily burn calories and exercise calories, so my comment above takes care of that fact, and proves it's actually working just fine.
  • kbusenbark
    kbusenbark Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks - that was actually very helpful! I think you're right - it just doesn't seem to be giving me enough "credit". Haha. Maybe I should have put my setting at sedentary so I could see the difference more. :smiley: Might make me feel better.
  • linccampbell
    linccampbell Posts: 1 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I have a question about steps:
    I've turned the step tracker off on the iPhone health app and did it as well for MFP. I did this bc I frequently don't have my phone with me when running or walking so the iPhone is missing a lot of steps I take anyway. I was hoping that steps would flow from FitBit to MFP, but they aren'

Should they flow from the FitBit to MFP? And if so any ideas why they aren't? Or is this something I need to log manually?
  • heybales
    Options
    Steps is a stat that should come over after so many (I've never tested to see what increase is needed for the sync to happen, besides a fresh device sync with phone/computer) steps and be shown in your MFP - Check-in page.

So you have a syncing issue. First part of FAQ shares how to possibly take care of potential sync issue.
    Scan through titles of recent topics too and you'll likely find one talking about it also.

For some it steps, some calories, some several, some none. So it manifests itself in several ways - but basically Fitbit thinks it sent the data probably, MFP probably reported it got it in some manner, but it is failing to show it and do math with it.