Introduction

Options
I am 60 years old as of this month. I have been fat my entire life - the doctor had my mother put me on a skim milk formula at 3 months! We know better now, but that was in the ‘50s. It (obviously) didn’t help, as I remained a fat (and sickly) infant, toddler, child. I joined WeightWatchers the first time at twelve. Then I became the typical rebellious teen, and refused to follow the doctor’s diets. I ate what my friends ate, which while often carby, was also often fatty and greasy. Surprisingly (not) I lost weight. I weighed 20 lbs less at 19 then I had after WW at 12. But then I stopped being a rebellious teen, and started following the doctor’s advice again. (Sigh) I gained it all back, and more. Which has pretty much been my story since. I’ve gone on a number of “doctor recommended” diets, included modified fasts and liquids only. I joined and quit WW 2 more times. But they didn’t work. I tried Low Carb several years ago, and lost 80 lbs., the only diet that ever did anything for me, but got so many talks about how “unhealthy” it was I finally caved and stopped. Naturally, I gained it all back plus more. Last November, I finally got so sick of it, I started LC again. I didn’t know much about it, just started by cutting out all grains (since I was always dieting, I never really ate sugar) and that worked somewhat. I was losing a pound a week, sometimes 1 and a half. Then I began reading and learning more, and tweaking it. I found this site on 8/6, and started logging everything, which helped. I’ve been lurking and reading, and the advice, tips, links, etc. from all you people have been spectacular. I LOVE my coffee with butter and coconut oil! And I’ve lost 10 lbs. this month - 52 since November. I still have a long ways to go, but I know this is truly my WOL. I am NEVER going back to LFHC.

Replies

• DianaElena76
    DianaElena76 Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    Welcome! So glad you have returned to what works for you! :)
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Good gracious! While I'm sorry to hear of the roller coaster that brought you here, I'm so glad you're here now FOR YOU! And your progress....so inspiring! Welcome. :)
  • DebraWilliams1
    DebraWilliams1 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Thank you both. And KnitOrMiss, does that mean that you are also a Yarny? I've knit for years, and learned to crochet earlier this year.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Yes, ma'am. While I haven't picked up hooks or needles in a while, I am definite a "yarny." I learned to crochet at 9 from my maternal grandmother. Paternal grandmother taught me to sew in the next few years. I taught my self to knit in my early twenties (took me three attempts - before youtube videos were popular, you know? -- and even then, I realized about 3 years later when trying to learn a new stitch that I'd been twisting stitches for years! LOL). I can spin some (drop spindle only - and SLOWLY). I'm needing to find a baby boy pattern to make for a friend who had her son last week... Time for Ravelry (same user name!) or Pinterest (https://www.pinterest.com/knit_or_miss/) to find something I wanna whip up tomorrow while I'm waiting at an event for my guy. LOL Any favorites I should peek at? I definitely prefer knitting, as it's easier on my wrists!
  • DebraWilliams1
    Options
    Blanket? or sweater, hat? What do you have in mind. And do you want something fast and easy, or spectacular looking?
  • DebraWilliams1
    Options
    Oh, and I'm debbiewil on Ravelry. We should take this discussion there.
  • DianaElena76
    Options
    Oh, and I'm debbiewil on Ravelry. We should take this discussion there.

I'm suddenly feeling very left out. :wink: Just kidding--I love this.
  • DebraWilliams1
    Options
    Join us.
  • randiewilliams72
    randiewilliams72 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    So glad you found something that works for you.
  • DianaElena76
    Options
    Join us.

I couldn't knit if my life depended on it. I can sew on a button and hem a pair of pants, but that's about it! :)
  • CJ0821
    CJ0821 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Way to go Debra! Congrats on the loss! Welcome! :smiley:
  • KittensMaster
    KittensMaster Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Welcome to our helpful and friendly section of the forum

Best wishes on your fitness journey

There are many great people in our group with lots of weight loss and health knowledge

• DebraWilliams1
    Options
    Thanks everyone.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    Awesome story. Welcome to the forums.
  • mlinton_mesapark
    mlinton_mesapark Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Welcome, Debra! I love the top you're wearing in your profile pic, by the way. This way of life has changed so many of our lives for the better, in ways great and small. I'm glad to hear you can build on prior success.

All the best!

Mary
    LCHF since 5/2015
    Mom of 3
    I wish I could knit. I know how to sew and crochet just a little.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Blanket? or sweater, hat? What do you have in mind. And do you want something fast and easy, or spectacular looking?

Looking for something kinda quick and cute. Will look for you on ravelry!
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Welcome! So happy for your success in being a healthier you!
  • ambergem1969
    ambergem1969 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Ambergem on revelry here - super cute suggestion are Combat Booties!

Welcome Debra!!
  • fatchimom
    fatchimom Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Welcome!!!
  • NewSue52
    NewSue52 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Welcome to this group. I'm relatively new here too and find it to be amazingly supportive with no trolls. I started LCHF on Aug 8 and have lost 8 lbs. I feel so much better, energetic and upbeat, since cutting the carbs. I hope you have great success.

I'm a knitter too. I found a baby pattern that is well received for a hoodie sweater on Lion Brand. It makes up fast and is adorable.