Epsom Salt Baths

Options
JessicaLCHF
JessicaLCHF Posts: 1,265 Member
edited August 2015 in Social Groups
so I'm watch Dr Oz (I know, I know), and he's talking about how Epsom salt baths add magnesium through the skin. I wonder if this wouldn't help ppl with Keto flu? He also says 80% of ppl are deficient in magnesium. I need to google foods high in it.

On a side note, autocorrect is driving me insane...

Replies

• JessicaLCHF
    edited August 2015
    Options
    ..."High magnesium foods include dark leafy greens, nuts, seeds, fish, beans, whole grains, avocados, yogurt, bananas, dried fruit, dark chocolate..."
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Chocolate and nuts. Mg is delicious. :)

Most of the flu symptoms are due to Na loss. The mechanism is very interesting. Your husband is a nurse, right? Quiz him on it. Similar to DKA. Kidneys dump excess ketones to maintain acid/base balance, ketone anions get coverage from Na cations. Na levels in blood drop. Osmotic gradient causes swelling of brain cells. Bad feelings ensue.

Mg does seem to be low in many people, but low-carb may cause additional losses through the same mechanism. Cramps and headaches are common symptoms.
  • annalisbeth74
    annalisbeth74 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I've been wondering about Epsom salt myself. I take a liquid magnesium supplement most days, and that usually works. But last night I was awakened by the most horrific Charlie horse in my calf, and that has never happened before.

I'm ordering some off Amazon. I like to soak in the bath every night anyway; I figure it couldn't hurt to add some extra Mg while I'm at it.
  • DianaElena76
    DianaElena76 Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    I don't know, but I take epsom salt baths regularly. As in pretty much every day. LOL. Maybe that's why I didn't get keto flu?
  • JessicaLCHF
    Options
    They are super cheap. I get them at Walmart. I've used them as a foot bath every few days for months and I never get keto flu either, except maybe a slight headache now and then.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Epsom salt baths have been highly recommended here in past posts, because when your body absorbs it though the skin, it can't absorb too much like it can through supplements (causing the loose stool thing). I think even recently that someone showed doing a foot soak in epsom salts 30 minutes three times a week can balance levels. And yes, so many people are deficient in magnesium, and it's be building block for just about every biological process in the body. D3 is very similar in deficiency levels, too...
  • AngInCanada
    AngInCanada Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I take an Epsom salt bath every couple of days. I find it so relaxing
  • KETOGENICGURL
    KETOGENICGURL Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    and anyone near the ocean or bay can just go barefoot and stand in the water for a bit… lots of Mg in ocean water.

I do not think added Mg will affect Keto flu..but why not try it?

lastly none of the veggies and foods grown by agribiz have Mg in ANY normal level. this is one place where getting Mg from Spinach or veggies means buying from an organic farm that DOES amend soils.. but not all do.

I've posted the VL levels found in foods now as compared to what our grandparents ate. it is sad you can't get Mg from foods ( who can eat 16 cups of spinach?)

( I do use Canadian imported hempseed protein which provides 100% of daily needs in just 1/3 cup..calories are a bit higher as it is concentrated protein nutrition, providing all essential amino acids, and can replace meat, if needed, or for vegetarian dieters.)
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    The lack of magnesium in crops is due to soil depletion - they used to rest fields or rotate crops through to replenish the soil, and they don't do that anymore.

And Magnesium is a huge component in defeating the keto flu: water, sodium, potassium, magnesium, and fats...
  • sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    The lack of magnesium in crops is due to soil depletion - they used to rest fields or rotate crops through to replenish the soil, and they don't do that anymore.

And Magnesium is a huge component in defeating the keto flu: water, sodium, potassium, magnesium, and fats...

This has also caused a depletion of copper, selenium, zinc, and many other minerals.
  • Sk8Kate
    Sk8Kate Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I take Epsom salt baths every night & no supplements. My lab work came back showing my magnesium levels were fine so maybe the absorbing thru skin theory really does work?
  • brikachuu
    brikachuu Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I take Epsom salt baths once a week. I swear by them. They're amazingly relaxing. But it is a detox and causes you to sweat out toxins (if you stay in the right amount of time) it will cause dehydration, so drink a lot of water.
  • KittensMaster
    KittensMaster Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Once a week I put the drain plug in my shower and add Epsom salts with rosemary and essential oils in the shower floor

It is nice and relaxing and I do it for the joint health anti inflammatory

No idea is was good for low carb dieters
  • annalisbeth74
    annalisbeth74 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I take Epsom salt baths once a week. I swear by them. They're amazingly relaxing. But it is a detox and causes you to sweat out toxins (if you stay in the right amount of time) it will cause dehydration, so drink a lot of water.

Holy cow, I did not know this. That was explains why I sweat like a pig when I do them! Feels so good, though.
  • sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    My cardiologist just recommended epsom salt baths, with a couple oils added in, to soothe the nervous system. No idea if it works, but it could be more relaxing than we think for our bodies. Also, magnesium is absorbed in decent quantities this way, as long as you use "plenty" of epsom salts, and soak for "a long while". Waiting on the definitions of the things in quotation marks.
  • Sk8Kate
    Sk8Kate Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I use 2 cups Epsom salts, 1 cup baking soda then add few drops lavender oil. Soak at least 20 mins to get good sweat going.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »

This has also caused a depletion of copper, selenium, zinc, and many other minerals.

It is all of the soil depletion of minerals that got me to adding shilajit powder to my first cup of coffee each day.

As with other health foods there are scams with shilajit. I have found Sunfoods Super Foods Himalayan Shilajit Power (3.5 oz/100g) to be of good quality. It claims 85 minerals and is 60% fulvic acid.

Check out the nearly $20 price difference for the same product from two sources that I use for health food products. Beware of Mark-Ups in the trade. Since this can only be collected from the mountains in the summer quality supplies can be limited from time to time. I try to keep 6-12 month supply. 100 gram pack last me about 3 months. There may be better options but once this brand checked out to be the real thing I did not keep trying different brands.

iherb.com/Sunfood-Himalayan-Shilajit-Powder-3-5-oz-100-g/50427?gclid=Cj0KEQjwsIWvBRCnzevvor2g4L8BEiQAAN234XGjdaBoHGVfT6D-zlt0OLRiddFFTegCl6dbLtau_bwaAikp8P8HAQ

amazon.com/Sunfood-Shilajit-Extract-Powder-Fulvic/dp/B005WX1M4S

• KETOGENICGURL
    KETOGENICGURL Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Sk8Kate..and all… Mg does NOT reside inthe blood..so ANY serum test will show you are normal at 1-2% even if you are SADLY depleted as 70-80% of population in the USA… Mg stays in the bones and only is mobilized as needed..ie heart muscle needs, etc. ( MY last normal blood test showed 2%..proves nothing)

So as per the experts MDs on Mg..using 'requestatest.com" you pay $49 for an "RBC blood test" for Mg.it can only be run at a special lab..so the mail order blood test is the only option.

Labcorp is the biggest walk -in lab..but NONE near me, so I can't use it unless I drive to Sacramento or SF, find the lab. ( apparently only 50 out of 200 labs in the whole USA can run this test, no fancy hospital, etc will do it)

http://requestatest.com/magnesium-rbc-testing
    "When levels are low, the body will pull Magnesium from the cells to keep blood levels normal. In this case a Magnesium blood test may show normal levels while a Magnesium RBC test will give a more accurate result.

This test is typically ordered when someone is experiencing symptoms associated with Magnesium deficiency such as weakness or cramping in the muscles, confusion, seizures, or cardiac arrhythmias. Magnesium levels are typically checked when someone has a disorder which affects the kidneys. It may also be ordered to monitor people who are taking Magnesium supplements.

I decided to just begin taking a liquid Mg supplement, and doing transdermal ( skin oil Mg)…you FEEL better, no muscle cramping.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    Sk8Kate..and all… Mg does NOT reside inthe blood..so ANY serum test will show you are normal at 1-2% even if you are SADLY depleted as 70-80% of population in the USA… Mg stays in the bones and only is mobilized as needed..ie heart muscle needs, etc. ( MY last normal blood test showed 2%..proves nothing)

So as per the experts MDs on Mg..using 'requestatest.com" you pay $49 for an "RBC blood test" for Mg.it can only be run at a special lab..so the mail order blood test is the only option.

Labcorp is the biggest walk -in lab..but NONE near me, so I can't use it unless I drive to Sacramento or SF, find the lab. ( apparently only 50 out of 200 labs in the whole USA can run this test, no fancy hospital, etc will do it)

http://requestatest.com/magnesium-rbc-testing
    "When levels are low, the body will pull Magnesium from the cells to keep blood levels normal. In this case a Magnesium blood test may show normal levels while a Magnesium RBC test will give a more accurate result.

This test is typically ordered when someone is experiencing symptoms associated with Magnesium deficiency such as weakness or cramping in the muscles, confusion, seizures, or cardiac arrhythmias. Magnesium levels are typically checked when someone has a disorder which affects the kidneys. It may also be ordered to monitor people who are taking Magnesium supplements.

I decided to just begin taking a liquid Mg supplement, and doing transdermal ( skin oil Mg)…you FEEL better, no muscle cramping.

What liquid are they using, I'm looking into that route rather than the pills
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    There are Magnesium oil sprays that work well @auntstephie321.