to soy or not to soy?

Options
BeckFair
BeckFair Posts: 35 Member
I've been reading that folks with thyroid issues should not eat soy. What are reasons for this and what do you all think?

Replies

• editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/hypothyroidism/expert-answers/hypothyroidism-diet/faq-20058554
    There's no evidence that eating or avoiding certain foods will improve thyroid function in people with hypothyroidism.

I have Hashimoto's (autoimmune thyroid disease), and my endocrinologist told me to eat whatever I want—just eat less of it than when I was gaining. I eat soy, seaweed, carbs, gluten, all the vegetables… I lost the weight—and kept it off.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12060828

Unsubstantiated - most of the reported effects are correlation.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,301 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    If you find you react to something then it is probably best avoided. As with all things, do what is right for yourself.

If you start restricting foods you will be reducing the spectrum of necessary substances contained within them. I react to soy in general and as lecithin in particular, it can sneak into a chocolate bar, when you would think this presence would by minuscule. Sunflower lecithin is available. Links are also being made between a person not being able to take maize as a possible indicator of thyroid problems, (think pill binder/common in low fat foods)(its me as well).

If you know you have many food related reactions it may be worth while looking into this closer. Salicylate can be one of the umbrella problems, it is present in non animal foods but not all (blue cheeses do) and as aspirin and associated medications which caused inflammation within me. There are now some indications "inflammation" within the body can set up an autoimmune response or responses. To investigate this by blood and or urine testing is a personal decision best done with an appropriately trained person, doctor or nutritionist or what ever.

Because something "can" happen does not mean it will in your or every personal situation.
  • BeckFair
    BeckFair Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your thoughtful response.
  • gaelicstorm26
    gaelicstorm26 Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    My concern with soy is its overuse in food products. It is so commonly used as a filler for a variety of reasons. I don't avoid it at all and I have Hashi's as well.
  • chunt87
    chunt87 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I have read alot about soy, some good, alot bad. I second gaelic that it is in alot of food products. I read somewhere that fermented soy acts differently than regular unfermented soy but thats all over my head.

For myself, I have noticed if I try to eat things like soy nuts or soy milk, I get alot of stomach discomfort. It may just not agree with me. As always YMMV and if it doesnt disagree with you go for it, soy nuts are tasty.
  • Duchy82
    Duchy82 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Soy contains phytoestrogens which act the same as oestrogen and can interact with the uptake of levothyroxine/synthroid that said i don't avoid it if it is added as an ingredient such a soy lechitin and i use soy sauce when i cook chinese or indonesian food. I don't have any products where the main ingredient is soy though and won't eat soy beans as a whole food either but that is because from experience they make my hypo symptoms worse. You have to really see and try what works for you by listening to your body its the only way to find out.
  • Duchy82
    Duchy82 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Duchy82 wrote: »
    Soy contains phytoestrogens which act the same as oestrogen and can interact with the uptake of levothyroxine/synthroid that said i don't avoid it if it is added as an ingredient such a soy lechitin and i use soy sauce when i cook chinese or indonesian food. I don't have any products where the main ingredient is soy though and won't eat soy beans as a whole food either but that is because from experience they make my hypo symptoms worse. You have to really see and try what works for you by listening to your body its the only way to find out.

Oops that was supposed to say supposedly interacts with the uptake of levothyroxine
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    I have Hashimoto's disease. I drink Soy milk everyday and eat foods that contain soy during the week. There has been no issue at all with my Thyroid levels. Been on the same dose of Synthroid for years. My doctor has never told me avoid any types of foods.
  • umayster
    umayster Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12060828

Unsubstantiated - most of the reported effects are correlation.

The linked study says -
    Additional factors appear necessary for soy to cause overt thyroid toxicity. These clearly include iodine deficiency but may also include additional soy components, other defects of hormone synthesis, or additional goitrogenic dietary factors. Although safety testing of natural products, including soy products, is not required, the possibility that widely consumed soy products may cause harm in the human population via either or both estrogenic and goitrogenic activities is of concern.

Endocrine issues like thyroid dysfunction are not well understood, Soy effects are also not well understood. I minimize soy as adding another level of endocrine chemicals to my current issues is the last thing I'd want to do.
  • sarahbe89
    sarahbe89 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I dont do soy or gluten. I cut out both about a month ago and feel 100x times better. I found for myself the combination of the diet change and my medication makes me feel alot better than just the medication alone. Not to mention im going on 20lbs lost in a months period of time. You need to expierenment and figure out what works best for you.
  • chunt87
    chunt87 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    sarahbe89 wrote: »
    I dont do soy or gluten. I cut out both about a month ago and feel 100x times better. I found for myself the combination of the diet change and my medication makes me feel alot better than just the medication alone. Not to mention im going on 20lbs lost in a months period of time. You need to expierenment and figure out what works best for you.

WOW Sarah, way to go! could I have a peek at your diary to get an idea of what you are doing?
  • Cannonchick
    Cannonchick Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    for what it's worth, doc told me to limit soy and not to eat any within 4 hours of taking levothyroxine.