Tips?

Options
cycletrak1
cycletrak1 Posts: 607 Member
edited August 2015 in Social Groups
For those who have done this before, do you have any tips or things to look out for?

I have not done C25K before and would appreciate any wisdom you may have.

One tip I found helpful on the C25K app, was to breathe from your stomach, not from your chest. Also breathe through your nose only...not your mouth.

:flowerforyou:

Replies

• lmnopeterson
    lmnopeterson Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I love this program - it is amazing how if you stick with it you really see yourself progress! As I just finished week 6 I am feeling sure I can finish all 8 weeks - I never thought that would be possible! The best tips I have heard and can offer so far:

- Wear an old underwire bra under your sports bra if you're well endowed!
    - Eating bananas is a great way to prevent leg cramps.
    - Watch your form, even if you're going as slow as a fast walk, the form is so important! Back upright, loose shoulders, arms bent, keep your eyes forward, and breathe! My friend suggested I picture a string and the base of my neck that I can "pull myself up by my spine" while running so my back straightens, I drop my shoulders, and pull my neck up instead of watching my feet. It helped! Bad form leads to injuries so be mindful and work on it.
    - There are a lot of great breathing techniques, find what works best for you but remember that oxygen is what keeps your cells going and will help release cramps if you get them.
    - Run SLOWLY!! At first, anyway. Especially that huge W5D3 run for 20 minutes! It's like running into a brick wall if you go too fast, slow it way down and focus on lasting the whole 20 minutes.
    - You can do this. You're already doing it! So keep doing what you're doing. (It sounds silly but it's a good mantra for me!)

My summer has been worlds better because I started running. This is a hobby, skill, and exercise I never thought I could do and I'm LOVING it
  • cycletrak1
    cycletrak1 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    @lmnopeterson
    Thank you so much for sharing!
    WOW! I can't even imagine running for 20 minutes!! But then again, I couldn't imagine running for 1 1/2 minutes, but this app is definitely helping me make it happen!

:flowerforyou:

• Jamerz888
    Jamerz888 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Those are great tips!! Thank you!!
  • maggiemayberries
    maggiemayberries Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I have completed the 8 weeks and I am so proud of this accomplishment, however, I am running at 4.5. Every time I run, I'm adding .1 to my speed. What an app though! Never thought I could run for 2 min and now I'm running for 30,