Suggestions for Low Carb Protein Powder that taste good

Options
CJay77
CJay77 Posts: 10 Member
I am interested in replacing my lunch with a shake but am overwhelmed by all the options out there. Can anyone recommend a low carb high protein powder that they've used without gaining weight that tastes good?

Replies

• 110challenge
    110challenge Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    So my opinion isnt super credible as I JUST started protein powder yesterday, but in trying to decide I did a couple of hours research last week. I got the North Coast Naturals 100% Whey in Chocolate and have Optimum Nutrition in Cookies n Cream on it's way.

Both are supposed to be delicious with water, which was a major interest of mine. I dont dislike the chocolate (it would be GREAT with milk) but it wasnt amazing or anything. Definitely tolerable.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    I've been using isopure zero carb cookies and cream, I love the flavor. They're Dutch cocoa wasn't as flavorful, but wasn't bad
  • amb312
    amb312 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I drink Premier Protein. 30g of protein. I get it at Sam's or Costco.
  • AngInCanada
    AngInCanada Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I drink ISOpure chocolate from GNC. 1 net carb per serving and its pretty good
  • KittensMaster
    KittensMaster Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    I like Optimum Nutrition Protein Energy Cinnamon Bun mix

It tastes like a cinnamon bun Quest bar
  • lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Syntrax Nectar. zero carbs, good flavors. Was really a surprise. But a pleasant one
  • sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Premier protein strawberries and cream! :p I love that stuff. Doesn't stall me out, comes premixed, and is tolerable not straight out of the fridge. 30 g protein, 2 g net carbs(4 total), not much for fat. 160 cals per 11 0z. Goes on good sales at costco and stores well in it's tetrapaks.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    I do wish the low carb ones had a higher fat percentage. I haven't seen one yet that is lc hf
  • DebraWilliams1
    DebraWilliams1 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I order from proteinfactory.com I like that there are premixed formulas if you're in a hurry or don't know what you need, but you can also customize a formula with protein of choice (whey, egg, etc.) sweetener, vitamins, etc. I've tried a number of different ones. Some are better than others, but none have been bad. Also, I like his ideas on nutrition, weight loss, building muscle, etc. He's got some good articles.
    See http://proteinfactory.com/dropping-calories-makes-you-fatter
    I don't agree with him 100%, but then I don't agree with anyone 100%, LOL.
  • lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I do wish the low carb ones had a higher fat percentage. I haven't seen one yet that is lc hf

Add some double fat cream, or even MCT oil or coconut oil, and you're sorted.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    lodro wrote: »

Add some double fat cream, or even MCT oil or coconut oil, and you're sorted.

I was going to say the same thing. I like to mix with coconut almond milk blend and I'll add some HWC if I have room for the extra fat and calories. It makes it creamy and smooth.
    I picked up mine at Walgreens. It's bodylogix natural whey from grass fed cows sweetened with organic stevia. Has 26, 1 scoop servings. 120 calories, 24g protein and 3G carbs. It does say it contains soy also... I haven't done any research about protein powders though I understand there are some inferior quality ones to stay away from, I don't really know what they are. I haven't had any issues with the one I've been using but I would like to know for sure that I'm buying a good quality on my next purchase.
    I was interested in one someone in our group uses that is hemp protein. I can't remember who it was. But they seemed to have been well informed when it came to good vs junk protein powders. I thought they may have posted in here, but it doesn't appear so.
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    I love Bariatric Fusion. It's got a great nutrition profile and the flavors are amazing.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,956 Member
    Options
    I'm looking for a new one myself. I got an unflavored one. Blurg. It's "unflavor" shined through regardless of what I added.
  • KittensMaster
    KittensMaster Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Unflavor?

That just makes me laugh.

I add coffee flavorings, apple pie spice, cinnamon, PB2.

Can't ever remember an unflavored shake!
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,956 Member
    Options
    The powder was supposed to be unflavored. The idea was that I could add whatever flavors I wanted, instead of being stuck with a whole container of just one flavor all the time. No matter whether I added cocoa powder, peanut butter, or berries, there was still that "taste" and it wasn't all that pleasant, breaking through. That flavor of the "unflavored" protein powder was unappetizing.
  • InADarkRoom
    InADarkRoom Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I use PhD diet whey, Belgian chocolate or banana flavours are nice. I blend it with water and double (heavy) cream. Turn out pretty nice. Mine are 5.5g carbs so actually quite high compared to some others here. But I have that for breakfast and i'm full until lunch or after most days now. Was a case of trial and error for me to find one that agreed with me
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I use PhD diet whey, Belgian chocolate or banana flavours are nice. I blend it with water and double (heavy) cream. Turn out pretty nice. Mine are 5.5g carbs so actually quite high compared to some others here. But I have that for breakfast and i'm full until lunch or after most days now. Was a case of trial and error for me to find one that agreed with me

If you are splitting your carbs close to even at meals and just for ease of calcs say 21 total, so 7 each for breakfast, lunch, and dinner if you're no snacks. It's at 5.5 grams of carbs, so you're still easily in keto meal range. Just to offer perspective, because if you're using it as a meal replacement and not a supplement, I would expect that this level is totally fine. You'd just have to pay more attention to macros when adding it to something, but IMO, anything under 10 grams is doable if you're working it in to the rest of your dietary plan. More if you're not as carb restricted.
  • InADarkRoom
    InADarkRoom Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »

If you are splitting your carbs close to even at meals and just for ease of calcs say 21 total, so 7 each for breakfast, lunch, and dinner if you're no snacks. It's at 5.5 grams of carbs, so you're still easily in keto meal range. Just to offer perspective, because if you're using it as a meal replacement and not a supplement, I would expect that this level is totally fine. You'd just have to pay more attention to macros when adding it to something, but IMO, anything under 10 grams is doable if you're working it in to the rest of your dietary plan. More if you're not as carb restricted.

Thanks! Good to know I'm not alone in thinking it's ok. There are occasions where I wish I'd saved some carbs for later on but despite registering as negative ketones today, using the protein powder in the mornings seems to work. Especially since I added the cream..
  • Fvaisey
    Fvaisey Posts: 5,506 Member
    Options
    I have been using this: http://www.greatlakesgelatin.com/consumer/CollagenFAQ.php I find it's works very well in any liquid, has no carbs and seems to be helping my joints and skin condition. Which is why I chose it. I've been using it for about 3 months.
  • KETOGENICGURL
    KETOGENICGURL Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    In the el-cheapo grocery are 17 kinds of bagged whey…they all have additives, dyes, flavors, etc. The bodybuilding movement + the Milk industry need to find use for tons of whey…..a product is born!
    There are reviews on the cleanest, purest etc…and outside of whey you have the choice of brown rice/spirulina/hempseed powder, or a combo.

http://supplementreviews.com/categories/protein/whey-protein
    http://www.theleanorganic.com/the-whey-of-the-warrior-careful-its-extreme/
    http://www.eatingbirdfood.com/?s=PROTEIN+powders <<<<< lots of recipes and foods made with PP
    http://www.healthysmoothiehq.com/my-sun-warrior-protein-review
    https://store.nutiva.com/hemp-protein/

You don't HAVE to spend a lot on protein powder..for REAL LCHF just get bagged Hemp Hearts (the hulled seeds), grind them fine, and add to shakes. a few tablespoons give 10-20 gr protein, 50-100% of daily magnesium, AND 15 gr fat…provides better amino acids and BCAA than packaged whey.

Warrior Force hemp protein is 16 gr protein 2 heaping tbl..and all the other benefits- https://healthforce.com/warrior-force

We ALL seem to have a favorite brand! Quality counts, and is tied to price, some love a McDonald's tasting 'shake" and hate the "rope smoothies" (too gritty/bland)