Protein powders and heat

Options
KyriaCathy
KyriaCathy Posts: 44 Member
On another thread several people suggested adding their protein powder/shakes to coffee in place of cream. I've read somewhere that adding hot liquid to protein breaks down the protein so I only add it to cold coffee. Has anyone else heard this or is it just another urban myth?

Replies

• SassyAshleigh
    SassyAshleigh Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    You can add protein to coffee; however, my doctor's office suggests not making it hotter than 140 degrees Fahrenheit because the protein will start to clump.
  • ThinGwen
    ThinGwen Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I usually wait til the coffee cools a bit
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I will use protein powder in place of creamer and mix about a 1/2 scoop of Premier vanilla with a little water to make it a very thick liquid. When added to the coffee that way it doesn't clump at all as it's already a liquid.
  • Ultima_Morpha
    Ultima_Morpha Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    Besides the annoying clumping, the concern is that the heat will denature the protein. As I understand it, our bodies denature protein during digestion and absorption anyway...so I see it as part of the work done!

Short of boiling your protein concoction, I don't see this as a huge concern. Hot liquids cool quickly once you start adding stuff in.
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    If you add it straight, it can clump. I always make it into a thin paste first.
  • JenaOnTrack74
    JenaOnTrack74 Posts: 443 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I was told not to use heat with my protein by my surgeon.
    I found this article:

http://idahomilkproducts.com/content/does-heat-exposure-affect-properties-mpc

**Milk protein concentrate (MPC) – Milk protein concentrates are produced by ultrafiltration (UF) of milk. The product in liquid form is generally referred to as UF milk while the dry form is known as MPC. This product contains unaltered forms of both casein and whey protein.**

I quit adding it to my coffee, well at first I just started having cold coffee instead which was fine for a while now I just use water with my protein.

Weather it is true or not I didn't want to take the chance that it does somehow decrease the value of the protein, defeating the whole purpose. To me if the possibility of what I was drinking just became calories and shorted me on my protein intake, I definitely didn't want to do that! I went with better safe than sorry or bald! lol
  • sinderstorm
    sinderstorm Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I use Musclegen Genepro protein powder in my coffee every morning (scoop in the bottom of the cup, pour coffee in, stir, then add creamer), and it is both smooth and easily dissolves. IMO it is a miracle powder, and I credit it for getting my protein in every day. I get it on Amazon.
  • tat2cookie
    tat2cookie Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    Tried it... Can't do it. I love coffee too much to ruin it like that. I've learned to just get my extra protein in other ways.