Recipes

Options
13»

Replies

• jennimben
    jennimben Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    This might be a really odd combo to some of you, especially if you do not like pickles. I made plain quinoa and didn't know what I wanted to do with it, and I was in a hurry. I thought anything would do, it just needed some moisture. No broth in the fridge, but there was a jar of pickles. So I poured a little pickle juice in it- just enough to give it moisture, and I have had it 3 more times since then. My husband thinks it sounds disgusting, but its really good! And quick if you make extra quinoa and keep it in the fridge.
  • lunamare
    lunamare Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I've been trolling Pinterest boards getting ideas for lunches and dinners. I need to make DH lunch this year (he's a teacher) and that's proving difficult. He'll eat salads, but not every day. And whatever I make needs to be able to be eaten fairly quickly since some days he might only have 5 minutes to scarf down his lunch. I graze all day at work, so, my meals are much easier.
  • Ladybug1250
    Ladybug1250 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    pickle juice in quinoa sounds pretty good. Ive done it with pineapple juice before too and then added pineapple chucks and raisins, mmm so yummy!
  • Ladybug1250
    Options
    I feel like i'm struggling a little with the veggies. I tend to overby then not use everything in time and i have to throw stuff away, I HATE THROWING AWAY FOOD. It's just not right :-(
    I wish fruit and veggies would last more than a few days so i can have it on hand longer and also not have to shop every three days. grrrr
  • lunamare
    lunamare Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Try freezing the veggies that you can. I hate wasting food too.
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    I agree. I buy a mix of frozen and fresh vegetables and make the fresh ones my top priority so they don't go to waste. I had a container of spring mix that started getting a bit watery, so I threw the rest in my Vitamix with carrots, raspberries, and water and drank it instead. When I get berries on sale, I keep one container in the fridge and the other in the freezer. I use the frozen ones for smoothies or if I want to use them in yogurt I defrost them in the fridge overnight and they taste the same as fresh bought ones.
  • Ladybug1250
    Options
    Ohh great idea ladies, thank you! I have spring mix that is just about to turn, ate salad for lunch today and will have it for dinner too. IF some left i will make a smoothie (will a blender do the trick?)
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    Yes! Any blender should work! I have a Vitamix and a NutriNinja and use both interchangeably. I've blended kale in both and it comes out fine. I only use the Vitamix when I have to blend a lot of items or really hard things like a bunch of baby carrots. For my protein shakes I use my NutriNinja since I can just add the lid and take it on the go.
  • vividii
    vividii Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the great tips ladies! Has anyone purchased the cookbook? I wonder if its any good.
    I defrosted and mashed mixed berries last night, then mixed them into plain greek yogurt, and put in freezer for half hour. One red, one purple. Awesome replacement for ice cream.
    @Rjpittner..I had curried chicken breast strips for breakfast one day...maybe you can make a wrap out of it to grab n go.
  • vividii
    Options
    Sorry RJPittner.just realized, vegetarian
  • rjpittner
    rjpittner Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    You'd be shocked at how great I've gotten at "vegetarian-izing" recipes! :-) tofu, beans, and the Morning Star "chicken" and veggie patties can sub for most any meat!! I always seem to forget about curry-type recipes...my fall back is always Mexican or Italian cuisine, so I will definitely break out the curry and give it a try! Thanks!!
  • vividii
    Options
    rjpittner wrote: »
    ...my fall back is always Mexican or Italian cuisine, so I will definitely break out the curry and give it a try! Thanks!!
    Great, I seasoned the chicken breast strips with sea salt and herbs. Then heated a tablespoon of raw coconut oil in a pan with a little curry powder, onions, and thyme. Added the chicken strips and a tablespoon of water. Came out pretty good.
    Carrots & cabbage would have been really good with it....hmmm, why didn't i think of that before? I'm not doing so well getting all my veggies in for the day. Any veggie recipes are welcome, please.
  • rjpittner
    rjpittner Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I usually try to eat at least one salad a day and then a veggie snack if I can (carrots and/or celery), but working as many greens as I can into dinner has become one of my favorite challenges! Things like zucchini boats, egg plant pizzas, stuffed peppers, pasta primavera, and vegetable stir fry can help sneak them in as opposed to just using them as side dishes, which I find can get boring! Another great idea I got from Autumn's Instagram was making a vegetable salad with sliced red and orange peppers, onions, and cucumbers seasoned with vinegar and black pepper. It's tasty!!
  • CrosbyMcDowell
    CrosbyMcDowell Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I really love pasta, but obviously it's something to be had in moderation (esp on 21DF). I found that mixing a bunch of roasted veggies with my little bit of pasta and topping with homemade (no added sugar) Sauce loaded with veggies satisfies my pasta craving and works in some veggies.
  • jennimben
    jennimben Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    You've probably all heard about this already, but just in case- spaghetti squash is really good with a bit of sauce on it! It's not really like pasta, but gives you the illusion you might be eating spaghetti. Its good prepared a lot of ways.