What to do if you are not a regular exerciser ?

Options
LastingChanges
LastingChanges Posts: 390 Member
edited August 2015 in Social Groups
My daily routine changes a lot. There are consecutive days when I cannot get in any exercise and eating at high calorie goal makes me worry. But then there are weeks when I consistently exercise daily. I would like to eventually make my exercising more consistent but for now what do you suggest to do with my calorie goal?

Replies

• kmac1196
    kmac1196 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    It may be hard to pick just one in your case. You'll have to adjust up or down based on your activity for that week. There really isn't an easy way to do it. If you fluctuate a lot, you'll have to adjust eating based on that. What do the calculators say for you for both scenarios?
  • mymodernbabylon
    mymodernbabylon Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    The other option is to figure out what your TDEE would be if you were lightly active (assuming you do more than just sit on your tushy all day, every day, this is a good number to use as a base). Then use that as you goal and enter your exercise data into MFP and eat back 1/2 to 3/4 of the calories.

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    ^^^ This.

Taking a reasonable deficit doesn't require doing the weekly average TDEE method.

MFP method is just fine too.

Just take reasonable deficit, even if that means you make your own eating goal that is 15% off MFP suggested daily maintenance, and then log exercise as done with same 15% off.

That just means that daily you are taking 15% off that day's actual TDEE.

Rather than obtaining that on a weekly average basis.
  • XavierNusum
    XavierNusum Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    The other option is to figure out what your TDEE would be if you were lightly active (assuming you do more than just sit on your tushy all day, every day, this is a good number to use as a base). Then use that as you goal and enter your exercise data into MFP and eat back 1/2 to 3/4 of the calories.

This is it here. Base your TDEE off of your average or lowest activity level and eat back a portion of your additional exercise cals when you're getting it in.

What I do personally, is schedule my workouts on certain days. If I miss one, I drop my calories that day by X amount. If I pick that workout up later in the week I eat at set amount plus a bit extra.