Other Groups

Options
DietPrada
DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
Why are they all so angry? I joined the FitBit group, because, well, I have a FitBit. But it seems to be the same thing as the main forums, everyone is so angry and critical of anyone who posts. If you dare mention a failing of the FitBit then you're doing it wrong or expecting too much. If you mention you're not losing weight then you'll get half the group yelling at you to eat more and the other half yelling at you that you're lying about your food tracking and are eating too much. Ugh ... why.

Replies

• boohooboo
    boohooboo Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    i left the fitbit group, strangely enough, for two reasons: 1) because my fitbit gave me rashes on my wrist and i had to return it, and 2) because people made me feel like that was somehow my fault. (er, sorry? even after i googled and discovered that some users have actually had the same problem!) yeah. i hear you. as soon as i figure out a new pedometer-thingy for me to use, i may just keep it to myself and not join the corresponding group. life's too short, KWIM? :-)
  • sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I'm in the jawbone group, have an up move that I love. But it's really not a discussion based group like this one. It functions as a nice bulletin board area. "My jawbone steps aren't syncing! Anyone else having this issue on *fill in date*" and then people respond yes or no, and the one lady in particular is super keyed into whats going on from both mfp and jawbone sides, so she brings us all the info instead of each person digging through the internet.
  • KittensMaster
    KittensMaster Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Check out NerdFitness

• wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    There's fighting and biting in the FitBit group?
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I left the FitBit group ages ago because I just didn't have time for the volume of posts. I don't think I ever read enough posts to pay attention to tone. I tend to do my own thing anyway and laugh on my side of the keyboard when others get so upset about something so petty. lol
  • KittensMaster
    Options
    In person groups are so much better

Never the drama of online communities

The keyboard warrior complex is silly

I would like y actually see some of the people that spout some insanity and see what they look like, work out with them and see what they have to back it up .

Shared encouragement is what I look for and try to give back.

This fitness thing is hard enough already

Rock on !!!
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    We all deserve to be understood and provided encouragement (what MFP is about)! Coming here for help, and being knocked down for it isn't so good! Likely leading the bullied person to abandon any weight loss efforts. Just a rhetorical question: "How hard is it to be nice to others?" I find it easy, others should too, imho!
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I saw this on Reddit yesterday. It made me smile. aw0ye4bshcek.jpg
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,958 Member
    Options

I LOVE that!

So true. All you have to do to make someone's day (or sometimes even their week) is drop a few kind/polite/positive words. How much harder is that to do that to dump on someone? Not even difficult. At all.
  • chaoticdreams
    chaoticdreams Posts: 447 Member
    Options

Awwwww, all the happy feels......

I have a fitbit. I love/hate my fitbit. It's not perfect and is sometimes stupid, like telling me I climbed stairs when I simply walked to the restroom. It guilt trips me everyday too about not getting those pesky stupid 10k steps, making me go, "FINE", at 7;30 in the evening to go trounce outside to get them and getting back after dark to the delight of my family.

I don't expect anything else from the ugly stupid little thing though. It counts my steps, sometimes accurately, sometimes in it's stupid mode. It's full of shortcomings, as am I. It wants to control my life, I don't let it. Sometimes I just want to veg in front of the TV on Sunday, Fitbit, so shut up about those stupid 10k steps. I don't want to hear it.

And all the peeps on the net that seem to be really into how much or what I'm eating or not..... I just don't get why it makes them become hateful and just plain mean. Duh, it's burning more calories than you eat. I get that. The science makes sense. But the human body, heck biology in general, isn't always so cut and dry. I wish it was. Life would be easier. Weight loss would be simple and we'd all be skinny.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    edited September 2015
    Options

Awwwww, all the happy feels......

I have a fitbit. I love/hate my fitbit. It's not perfect and is sometimes stupid, like telling me I climbed stairs when I simply walked to the restroom. It guilt trips me everyday too about not getting those pesky stupid 10k steps, making me go, "FINE", at 7;30 in the evening to go trounce outside to get them and getting back after dark to the delight of my family.

I don't expect anything else from the ugly stupid little thing though. It counts my steps, sometimes accurately, sometimes in it's stupid mode. It's full of shortcomings, as am I. It wants to control my life, I don't let it. Sometimes I just want to veg in front of the TV on Sunday, Fitbit, so shut up about those stupid 10k steps. I don't want to hear it.

And all the peeps on the net that seem to be really into how much or what I'm eating or not..... I just don't get why it makes them become hateful and just plain mean. Duh, it's burning more calories than you eat. I get that. The science makes sense. But the human body, heck biology in general, isn't always so cut and dry. I wish it was. Life would be easier. Weight loss would be simple and we'd all be skinny.

Yeah Fitbit! Mind your own beeswax! Geez! Such a nag! lol

I get why the cico club touts their way as the only way because it's an explanation that makes sense as long as you don't introduce any other variables. All science is just theory based on reproducible results. But any good scientist will tell you that given additional variables or slightly different starting points, the results may change. They can hypothesize what might happen next and even study further, and they do. Quite often these brilliant scientists are surprised by what they find. Their hypothesis based on solid science that made absolutely perfect sense was wrong. This is why science is amazing! Nothing is ever over. Even when you think it is, bam! New information.
    And if we are being honest, there are plenty of people that give dieting a bad rep due to not really trying and being dishonest or not understanding one thing or another and making honest mistakes. Plenty of people would have great success with a basic eat less/move more plan, but let's face it, change is hard. Sometimes people just want to appear to be making the right choices so they can keep doing what they want and get less flack for it. Sometimes people really commit but are truly logging incorrectly and sabotaging their success unknowingly. But just as often, and I would go as far as to say even more often, something is whacked in their body that isn't allowing them to succeed. However, if they are never encouraged to consider that the standard method may not be the way to go for them how are these committed people ever supposed to find the road to better health? If nothing else, it's an option to try as a personal experiment. I mean, isn't that how all of us got here anyway? We didn't know what we would experience going low carb. We had a hypothesis. We made a good guess based on science, and we are still tweaking it as we go. We took a leap of faith because we already either failed in other methods or found we couldn't sustain them or they just stopped working for no apparent reason.
    It's an adventure, a journey, full of learning and growing (or hopefully shrinking in most cases) and I'm glad we are among supportive, open minded friends here in our group. :)

Wow! I'm super mushy today! Maybe some fat burning is releasing some warm & fuzzy hormones! Lol
  • ShootingStar72
    ShootingStar72 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I avoid most forums like the plague. I actually had an MFP account a long time ago then dropped it because of all the ego trips and downright meanness going on, some call it tough love but I don't think so. I later found that mostly just the main forums can get rowdy, groups like this are fantastic! The logging is easier here than on other sites so I came back last spring. I never would have thought about LCHF if I had not returned to MFP. After lurking for a while ya'll convinced me to give it a try and it is working out great for me! Thank you!

I never thought about checking out the fitbit group... steering clear now! My basic little fitbit smiles at me sometimes, frowns more often than I care for, and broke my fingernail trying to get the battery out this morning. Love/hate relationship for sure!
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Hey, all, something I wanted to share that is tangentially related. The book I'm listening to/reading (Change Anything - I've talked about it a few places) has a great principle about relationships. This comment, I've applied personally, but it made me thing about it here. While we all need to vent frustration sometimes, I've found that there is a whole level of different between venting and b-witching about something.

For example, I'm sure any of you who are in or ever have been in a relationship have a had a partner (or sibling or parent or child) who drove you absolutely bat-crap crazy sometimes. Needless to say my fiance does this for me quite regularly. Rather that b-witch to a friend and rant and rave about how horrible he is, I try to just let of my frustration in general. Because I find that the more I focus on how horrible he supposedly is, the more I BELIEVE it, FOCUS on it, and make it my own bent version of reality.

I think that while individuals anywhere may have been abusive or bullies or know-it-alls, or heck, even just judgmental pricks, but there are also individuals who forged our paths to places like this, offered a kind word, or had intelligent advice. I try not to lump all those things together, because it just makes me full-on cranky, and let me tell you, that's not pretty.

I find that whatever is my focus because the tone of my day. If I focus on what not to eat, it becomes an obsessive thought I can't hardly shake. But if I focus on what I get to eat, my day is brighter and almost celebratory. If I focus on some silly bickering I had with my guy last night, I get cranky. But if I think of the deep connected conversation we had after the bickering, it sets my day aglow. Etc., etc.

As I said, I don't like being a super cranky crazy mental person, but it happens. And when it does, I have to shift my focus. No judgment here...just another frame of perspective, given this convo... Hugs, all.
  • KenSmith108
    KenSmith108 Posts: 1,966 Member
    Options
    I guess my Omron wouldn't go over too big there. :D
  • inspirationstation
    Options
    I have witnessed the anonymous online mob mentality in the past and want no part of it. I enjoy this group...very helpful and informative.
  • KittensMaster
    Options
    I avoid most forums like the plague. I actually had an MFP account a long time ago then dropped it because of all the ego trips and downright meanness going on, some call it tough love but I don't think so. I later found that mostly just the main forums can get rowdy, groups like this are fantastic! The logging is easier here than on other sites so I came back last spring. I never would have thought about LCHF if I had not returned to MFP. After lurking for a while ya'll convinced me to give it a try and it is working out great for me! Thank you!

I never thought about checking out the fitbit group... steering clear now! My basic little fitbit smiles at me sometimes, frowns more often than I care for, and broke my fingernail trying to get the battery out this morning. Love/hate relationship for sure!

Oddly enough you are not allowed to say how you feel on MFP about the fighting and insults you get on the main forums.

I like this group though.

I joined NerdFitness too. Someday they may kick me off here.

• ShootingStar72
    ShootingStar72 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Oops, my apologies to the main forums. I might get kicked off of here too! :)
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,958 Member
    Options
    Just a reminder. Please review our Upgraded Group Expectations:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10184341/upgraded-group-expectations#Item_1 :smile:

Complaining about the main forum is not allowed. This isn't a rule the group mods came up with, it's site policy.

This is the second thread in 2 days, you rotten stinkers. Please don't make me get mean before I go camping.
  • greenautumn17
    greenautumn17 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    wabmester wrote: »
    There's fighting and biting in the FitBit group?

I see what you did there! ;)
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    Hey, all, something I wanted to share that is tangentially related. The book I'm listening to/reading (Change Anything - I've talked about it a few places) has a great principle about relationships. This comment, I've applied personally, but it made me thing about it here. While we all need to vent frustration sometimes, I've found that there is a whole level of different between venting and b-witching about something.

For example, I'm sure any of you who are in or ever have been in a relationship have a had a partner (or sibling or parent or child) who drove you absolutely bat-crap crazy sometimes. Needless to say my fiance does this for me quite regularly. Rather that b-witch to a friend and rant and rave about how horrible he is, I try to just let of my frustration in general. Because I find that the more I focus on how horrible he supposedly is, the more I BELIEVE it, FOCUS on it, and make it my own bent version of reality.

I think that while individuals anywhere may have been abusive or bullies or know-it-alls, or heck, even just judgmental pricks, but there are also individuals who forged our paths to places like this, offered a kind word, or had intelligent advice. I try not to lump all those things together, because it just makes me full-on cranky, and let me tell you, that's not pretty.

I find that whatever is my focus because the tone of my day. If I focus on what not to eat, it becomes an obsessive thought I can't hardly shake. But if I focus on what I get to eat, my day is brighter and almost celebratory. If I focus on some silly bickering I had with my guy last night, I get cranky. But if I think of the deep connected conversation we had after the bickering, it sets my day aglow. Etc., etc.

As I said, I don't like being a super cranky crazy mental person, but it happens. And when it does, I have to shift my focus. No judgment here...just another frame of perspective, given this convo... Hugs, all.

Agree! Focusing on negatives associated with anything, in my opinion, just magnifies it ten fold. I figure this is what we see in personalities labeled as pessimistic. It can also be emotionally draining being around someone that is obsessively negative. I guess I've generally found it pretty natural to be positive about things. At times, so much so that I it set expectations too high and was even naive. I think there is a benefit to being aware of negatives and finding a good balance of the two types of thinking. But leaning on the optimistic end. ;)