Egg fast?

Options

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Large is the most economical purchase size where I live. Medium if you're buying straight from a farmer.
  • DianaElena76
    DianaElena76 Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    I prefer jumbo, but I buy large because that's the largest size WIC covers here and I prefer to keep things simple by sticking with the same thing regardless of who's paying for it. :)
  • GwenFan7
    GwenFan7 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Newb here, so this may seem like a silly question, but is there a link with details on how to do an egg fast?
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    GwenFan7 wrote: »
    Newb here, so this may seem like a silly question, but is there a link with details on how to do an egg fast?

Never a silly question. I refer to The Google.

http://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/2014/07/egg-fast.html

http://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/2014/07/egg-fast-diet-menu-plan-low-carb-keto.html
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    Do you guys still watch calorie intake? All the fat with the eggs is gonna send mine sky high.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    I do not watch calories at all, @minties82, other than with odd fascination. I think the major fats with this type of fast, which is only meant as a boost to your normal plan - not a substitute for normal eating - are to jet you into ketosis more deeply and quicker. But honestly, I'm a HUGE FAN of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."

In other words, if your current dietary choices are working for you, I wouldn't change a thing! When you hit a wall for a few months, you might toss this, a water fast, or an IF day in there somewhere, just to shake your body up...
  • DianaElena76
    Options
    minties82 wrote: »
    Do you guys still watch calorie intake? All the fat with the eggs is gonna send mine sky high.

I've stayed right around my calorie goal during the egg fast without even trying, but I don't think it matters. Peek at my diary. I've lost about a pound and a half each day, 5 pounds total over 3 days.
  • Sk8Kate
    Sk8Kate Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I've gone over on my cals both days, but not by much (50-70'ish). I'm just starting Day 3. My loss isn't as big as Mami1976D, but still a loss(3 lbs in 2 days).
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    minties82 wrote: »

It's actually not as much as you think. As I recall, it's like a tablespoon of butter and an ounce of cheese allowed per egg. It results in something like 1000 calories per day for the true "fast," though some don't limit it as long as you stick to the proportion rule. It's actually rather hard to fill up on more than that when you're just talking eggs, butter, and cheese, if for no other reason than you lose interest in food (which isn't necessarily a bad thing).

As for the other questions:

It's usually only done for 5-10 days or so, as a sort of "reset" type thing. Not long enough to really screw with nutrient depletion or whatever. I think Jimmy Moore might have technically done it for longer, but that's because he's systematically adding other foods back in, so it's not a pure egg fast for all that time.
    Mami1976D wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm actually looking forward to maybe finding out what foods trigger me... except dairy. If dairy triggers me, then I'll live with the pain. Just kidding! But since I'm not eliminating dairy, if dairy is a trigger I may remain unaware. :)

The only problem with using an egg fast for that is that eggs are a common allergen and could be itself what's triggering you. If you want to go that route, you're better off doing a "meat and water" type of thing (specifically, beef).
  • DianaElena76
    Options
    Dragonwolf wrote: »
    Mami1976D wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm actually looking forward to maybe finding out what foods trigger me... except dairy. If dairy triggers me, then I'll live with the pain. Just kidding! But since I'm not eliminating dairy, if dairy is a trigger I may remain unaware. :)

The only problem with using an egg fast for that is that eggs are a common allergen and could be itself what's triggering you. If you want to go that route, you're better off doing a "meat and water" type of thing (specifically, beef).

I was actually thinking that, because something seems to be triggering me even now... either the cheese or the eggs. The weight is flying off of me, but my skin is on the verge of a rash at any given moment, and the slightest scratch brings red welts. Or maybe that's the "keto rash" some people get? I don't know. I don't think I was THAT far off plan to be having keto flu kind of symptoms. At any rate, I may transition to meat only for a bit and then add stuff back in. So many choices. :)
  • DianaElena76
    Options
    Currently day 6, but I think I'll start transitioning today. The scale was up this morning. I think it's hormones, but I am disappointed. I'll switch (gradually) back to regular LCHF for the holiday weekend and then maybe return to this egg fast Tuesday for the work week and see what happens.
  • stillonamission
    stillonamission Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Curious to see how your egg fast is going? I have had a hard time getting back into the swing of things and decided to do a 5 day egg fast to get back. I am only on day 2, and it was much easier last go round, but I was already in Ketosis when I did it the first time
  • Sk8Kate
    Sk8Kate Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Last week only managed 3 days, then had veggies, fruit, & dip on 3rd night. But I was down 3,lbs. Then tried again this week, Day 1 was good down 2 next morning. But yesterday didn't get lunch til 4 pm (2 hard boiled eggs with 2 tbsp mayo), within an hour I started throwing up (sorry TMI). This lasted several hours. Don't know if too many eggs too soon or what, but I'm going to lay off the eggs for a little bit. Still down only the 2 tho, figured should have been more with losing all my insides, lol.
  • DianaElena76
    Options
    @Sk8Kate, did you regain any between egg fasts? I did, and I'm eager to see downward movement again.

@stillonamission, I am on round 2. I completed 5 full days of egg fasting last week (Sunday through Thursday), and then dinner Friday through Monday ate regular LCHF. I started egg fasting again yesterday morning. I lost 6.8 lbs and regained 3.2 lbs for a net loss of 3.6 lbs. In case you were wondering. :)
  • stillonamission
    Options
    When I tried zero carb, I felt really sick, but I didn't actually throw up, I just felt like it. Looking back, I think it was my electrolytes and I think I severely underestimated the amount of water I needed to drink.

I gained 6 pounds last week in my carb indulgence, so I am hoping this will bring me back down. I think I am going to try for 5 days, and then add a little meat in and go slowly. I am trying to go easy on the cheese, I had 2 oz of Cream Cheese yesterday, so I would like to keep it under that for the next few days. I feel good, I have energy, no headaches (which I had ALL weekend) and it is 3pm here, so I feel like I have the day under control. :D

I do add Mio to my water, the B vitamin kind. I know I shouldn't, but it is the only thing that I can put in my water that will make me drink it. I really hate water. Do you know if chicken broth is ok on the egg fast, or should I stay away from that until next week?
  • DianaElena76
    Options
    I have no idea. I don't think it's supposed to be part of it, but I don't know for sure.
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    I couldn't do it, I got sick of eggs after one day, though I did eat 8 boiled eggs. Blerk. I've lowered my carbs though.

My face has been really itchy ever since, driving me mad!
  • DianaElena76
    Options
    LOL. I hear you! I loved it the first week, but after eating "normal" food for a weekend, I'm not loving it quite as much.
  • stillonamission
    Options
    This morning was really hard, I fried two eggs in butter, and I really didn't want it, but I was hungry. I think I am going to eat the crepes for dinner, but bake them in my muffin top pan, and see how that goes.