What are you reading?

Options

Replies

• camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    After that is another book personally recommended, "The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up: The Japanese Art of Decluttering and Organizing" by Marie Kondo & Emily Woo Zeller.

LOVE that book! She has got me WANTING to clean and organize... sort of freaky. I'm not done that one yet. I read a bit, put it down and ponder... LOL

I read it and was laughing, especially at the irony of how most homes I have been inside in Japan are all packed to the rafters with junk (my own included). You almost never see the type of empty tatami room that is in all the movies... Most of the older generations hoard stuff, probably an effect of the wartime era when they had not much. Also, I learned her "special" way of folding t-shirts years ago from my Japanese husband :) It is just the way they all learn to do that from the housewife magazines.

I just finished Perlmutter's Brain Maker audiobook, and it was a good follow up to Grain Brain. It focuses more on the microbiome. Am now dipping into some Grace Burrowes historical fiction to distract myself. I gave up on the Outlander series about midway through the midwest America stuff. But may pick it up again after I watch the tv series, whenever that arrives. BIG news is that Netflix and Amazon Japan are both now offering streaming video on demand here! yay.
  • Sajyana
    Sajyana Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I've never folded t-shirts. I've always hung them. Is that just me? It's quicker and easier, it's easy to find the one you want and takes up less space.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    How do you all listen to books while you are walking or in the car?
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    I am finishing up Cholesterol Clarity. I'm thinking about not getting a lipid panel again. There are many other tests that are much better than lipid tests. This book is very interesting and compelling.

Dan the Man from Michigan
    Keto / IF / E.A.S.Y. Exercise Program
    103 pounds down, 21 to go.
  • camtosh
    Options
    I listen while walking and while on my commuter train. Don't drive much here :)

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    and I'm reading The Blood of Olympus by Riordan to my kids.

I love these books. I need to figure out where I left off? Is that the book after the Athena one? So, #4 or something in the new series? I need to read that and make sure I haven't missed any Egyptian ones. I cannot WAIT for the Norse ones!!! Seriously, it is ridiculous to be that excited, but I love any book that incorporates explanations for ADHD and dyslexia so that children/people can feel normal and all that! I love that he wrote the books at first for his son so that they could relate to his conditions...
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options

The OverDrive app is a library book borrowing app. Kind of like Kindle, but you can borrow books as through you local library. I live in a small town, but my library is in the system with the Oklahoma City library system, so I have access to all those. I can download a PDF of the book or the files for the audio book, then they return after 14 days if I don't renew them. I just listen offline on my phone with headphones. You can download it all over wifi, as I don't have internet on the phone. Also, if you do have internet access, there are even videos and movies you can "check out" too. Well worth a gander. And if you don't have a current B&M library, I'd recommend getting one, because the access, but literal and digital, is amazing!

You can also, obviously, put the Kindle app on your phone or other device to do similar to above.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options

The OverDrive app is a library book borrowing app. Kind of like Kindle, but you can borrow books as through you local library. I live in a small town, but my library is in the system with the Oklahoma City library system, so I have access to all those. I can download a PDF of the book or the files for the audio book, then they return after 14 days if I don't renew them. I just listen offline on my phone with headphones. You can download it all over wifi, as I don't have internet on the phone. Also, if you do have internet access, there are even videos and movies you can "check out" too. Well worth a gander. And if you don't have a current B&M library, I'd recommend getting one, because the access, but literal and digital, is amazing!

You can also, obviously, put the Kindle app on your phone or other device to do similar to above.

oh that's so cool, I'm gonna look into that for my walks so they aren't so boring
  • CoffeeNBooze
    CoffeeNBooze Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Getting back into reading because I spend too much time online/social media and I feel it's making me stupid. I made a goal on Goodreads.com recently of reading 7 books by the end of the year. On book #2 right now. The Raven, by Sylvain Reynard. It's a very dark fantasy and blurs the ancient past together with the present. I love it
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options

oh that's so cool, I'm gonna look into that for my walks so they aren't so boring

I agree. I only just discovered it a few weeks ago. I knew my local library offered books online, so I followed that, then ended up on the OKC Library stuff, and there were links to the app... SO easy. Downloading the books takes a little time and space, but not too much.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options

I love these books. I need to figure out where I left off? Is that the book after the Athena one? So, #4 or something in the new series? I need to read that and make sure I haven't missed any Egyptian ones. I cannot WAIT for the Norse ones!!! Seriously, it is ridiculous to be that excited, but I love any book that incorporates explanations for ADHD and dyslexia so that children/people can feel normal and all that! I love that he wrote the books at first for his son so that they could relate to his conditions...

Oooh! There are Norse ones coming out? Awesome. These books have been great jumping off points of study for my kids. They know more about ancient Greece and Rome than I ever did.

You have a couple of books to go.

The Heroes of Olympus series:
    The Lost Hero (2010)
    The Son of Neptune (2011)
    The Mark of Athena (2012)
    The House of Hades (2013)
    The Blood of Olympus (2014)
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options

Oooh! There are Norse ones coming out? Awesome. These books have been great jumping off points of study for my kids. They know more about ancient Greece and Rome than I ever did.

You have a couple of books to go.

The Heroes of Olympus series:
    The Lost Hero (2010)
    The Son of Neptune (2011)
    The Mark of Athena (2012)
    The House of Hades (2013)
    The Blood of Olympus (2014)

Yes, Rick Riorden announced recently dates for his new Norse series (I follow him on FB, but I don't recall off hand when it is). I can't wait!!

I haven't read Hades or Olympus. Guess it's time to catch up!
  • mlinton_mesapark
    mlinton_mesapark Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Completely off topic to low carb: How to Raise an Adult, by Julie Lythcott Haims. Along similar lines to Free-Range Kids, but geared toward older kids, teens, young adults. Great read so far.

Similar to low carb in that it challenges conventional wisdom, at least in the U.S.

Great thread--I unwind and motivate myself by reading, so I look forward to digging in to your posts on this thread. :-)
  • Twibbly
    Twibbly Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    Things I'm re-reading now:
    Shanna Hatfield - Hardman Holidays books - sweet little romance novels
    Maria Emmerich - Keto-Adapted - keto
    Douglas Adam - Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - classic
    Jimmy Moore and Eric Westman - Keto Clarity - keto

Current Audiobooks:
    Peter Walsh - It's All Too Much - decluttering
    Dale Carnegie - How to Win Friends & Influence People - classic
    Marie Kondo - The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up (I've also read the book itself several times) - decluttering
    Terry Wahls - The Wahls Protocol - keto/LC/micronutrient sufficiency

Things I'm reading that are taking me a long time:
    Jill Miller - The Roll Model - massage/therapy
    David Allen - Getting Things Done - I think I'm going to have to get the audio version to ever finish this one - classic
    Jayson & Mira Calton - The Micronutrient Miracle - keto/LC/micronutrient sufficiency
  • DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    On the subject of Audiobooks. My son used to commute into the city with me, he was studying near where I was working. About an hour each way, so 2 hour round trip. My car connects to my phone via bluetooth so I got this audiobook, I can't remember what it was called but it was a thriller involving game designers and stuff, something he's into. When I told him we were going to listen to it instead of the radio he *kitten* and complained calling it lame and stupid (16yo). So we'd been listening to it every day for about a week, and one morning I didn't put it on I was listening to something on the radio. We got about 10 minutes down the road and he says to me "aren't you going to put stupid story on?". Yep, he liked it :)
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    LOL We do that too. Currently we have the Emerald Atlas trilogy going. Really well written and read!
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    Keto and Cholesterol Clarity came today I just learned so I need to power down. :)
  • camtosh
    Options

I listen to audiobooks in iBooks on my iphone. I have to change the setting in iTunes first so it will recognize the file type and keep the bookmarks.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    I approve the reading of Cholesterol Clarity. :)

Seriously it has me ready for my lab work that is coming because the PA said my last numbers did not make sense. Now I know how to make my cholesterol (LDL numbers) improve to hopefully appease the clinic then I will get back out of maintenance. :)

As long as my HDL is going up and my Triglycerides are going down I am going to let LDL do as it pleases in the mean time.
  • Twibbly
    Twibbly Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    I approve the reading of Cholesterol Clarity. :)

I've read it, and then bought it as an audiobook so I can "re-read" it while I'm driving.