Thigh numbness

Options
dragonflies6
dragonflies6 Posts: 52 Member
has anyone experienced numbness, tingling and slight pain to thigh after surgery? My husband is experiencing this. I feel it may be related to anesthesia. I'm a nurse and I know the signs of a blood clot, which he has none. But he keeps complaining about it. I plan to call his dr to ease his nervousness.

Replies

• cmchandler74
    cmchandler74 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I don't recall experiencing thigh pain. I had a lot of swelling in my calves from the IV fluids, but I never experienced pain in those areas. Here's hoping he gets it resolved soon.
  • creepykbear
    creepykbear Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I haven't had surgery yet - but after losing 60 lbs I notice my thigh will get numb when I'm standing up for a period of time (even 10 minutes). This had happened to me previously and I spoke with my GP about it. I guess it's a nerve that gets pinched in the front of your hipbone by belly overhang. Strangely enough, I had stopped having this for a while, but I guess my anatomy has changed with the loss....hopefully it will change again and just stop! http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/meralgia-paresthetica/basics/symptoms/con-20030852
  • loveshoe
    loveshoe Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I did have vibration like feeling in my thigh after surgery. I asked the Dr's about it at my 2-week check up and he looked puzzled but did look at my thigh. It went away after a few days but it was weird. Initially I thought it was my cell phone on vibrate but soon realized it wasn't near me. I still have no answer for what was going on. It was only in my right thigh.
  • jillcwatson1
    jillcwatson1 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I had this type of numbness when I was pregnant, and like creepykbear, I noticed it more when standing. This could be an injury of the sciatic nerve. If you are bearing weight differently, your posture may have shifted to put pressure on this nerve. I don't know for sure, but this is what I would suspect is causing this.
  • Keikix3
    Keikix3 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Thankyou for the post and responses...this is good information to know about, and the link creepybear sent is very good. I never heard about this condition before, but it all makes sense. Hope everyone gets better!
  • dragonflies6
    Options
    Thank you for the great info.
  • dragonflies6
    Options
    Just an update. I got home from work this morning and my husband figured out his numbness issue. It Was related to the way he was sleeping because he was unable to sleep like he normally does and last night he was able to get comfortable and numbness went away
  • jillcwatson1
    jillcwatson1 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Glad for him. Sounds like he was just pinching a nerve. It all gets better with time. :smile: