Anyone interested in a rowing marathon?

Options
solarfish
solarfish Posts: 50 Member
Thanks to BrianSharpe for pointing me to this group, I didn't even realise there was a rowing group on MFP. I recently posted a thread on the Fitness and Exercise message board but there appeared to be little interest and I guess its because all the rowers are here!

I won't repeat everything, but I have recently decided I am going to train for a rowing marathon. I'm following the training schedule from the C2 site and am two weeks in. The rough plan is at least 10 x 10k in the first two months, then four hour long sessions with specific intervals then a couple of 20k rows with intervals and finally one 30k row before the actual marathon. I also created a challenge on Endomondo if anyone wants to join there.

I'll post my progress here and would welcome comments, encouragement or others to join me.

Progress so far:
June 23: 10km in 42:35, hard work having not been on the rower for a long time.
June 26: 10km in 41:21, actually a personal best since the last time I did 10km in 2012! Exhausted after, lots of sweat on a hot day.
June 30: 10km in 41:12, encourage by previous PB I set out to fast to try to break my 5km time (19:26), I failed by about 30 seconds but carried on to another 10km PB.
July 2: 12.6km in 60:00, tried for a steady pace, 47 minutes for 10km and carried on for 1 hour PB. Very little fatigue at this stroke rate (25) so probably much more realistic for longer distances.

Replies

• cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    good luck in your endeavours.
    have done a few half marathons following the same schedule.
    a full marathon takes dedicated training.
  • Bud_
    Bud_ Posts: 116 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Hi solarfish :)

I've not done a marathon yet but fully intend to in the reasonably near future. Currently I'm on on a short, enforced break as I'm waiting for a part to fix my rower! However, I normally row most days and do an hour session each time, presently achieving around 14km. My first half marathon was at the end of March and since then I try to do at least one a week. After a (somewhat scary?!) personal challenge I set myself recently, I managed a half marathon each day, for one week.

I'm now considering pushing this a little more and working towards completing my first marathon. I can see it's going to be quite a leap moving from half to full though... not least for my backside! I have to admit I tend to use my 'gut feeling' rather than specific schedules but I think the C2 link is a good guide to base my next move up on and although I haven't set a specific date I'm aiming for the 30km session within the next month (or maybe two) and will take it from there.

I also came back to rowing after quite some time and found that the first month and half I had quite a rapid improvement (9km to 12.8km in an hour). From that point on the improvement was much more gradual, but steady.

Hope your plan goes really well and I would be interested to hear about your experiences getting there. I look forward to congratulating you on your first marathon!! B)

• solarfish
    Options
    @cw106 @Bud_ thanks for the good wishes. I actually did a bonus 8km row today but will be travelling for the next two weeks so I'm not sure if I'll be able to get access to a rower. I am also doing weight training and some other cardio and core work so although I probably spend up to 8 or more hours a week exercising, only two or three will be rowing. @Bud_ 14km a day seems fantastic, the 12.6 in an hour this week is the furthest I have rowed so far, so even a half marathon is some way off yet. However I am planning that one of the 20km rows I have to do as part of the schedule will actually be extended to the half marathon just so I can say I've done one!
  • solarfish
    Options
    July 8th - England, 10km today on a C2 at a gym close to my parent's house. Felt different to my usual WaterRower, I had the resistance setting at 5 but to be honest I'm not sure what that means. The row took longer than normal, 47 minutes compared with less than 42 last week, but my effort (measured through HRM) was the same. I will get another 10km in this week before moving on to another location next week.
  • Bud_
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Did level 5 on the C2 'feel' about the same as your WaterRower?
    I have my Fluid Rower set at 5 (it goes to 16), and my understanding is that for general distance and cardio most C2 users set it to around 3 (C2 users feel free to correct me!!). Maybe that will correlate better next time you're on a C2.

Please let us know how it goes if so....

B)

PS. I really must check this out on a C2 myself at some point - it's been so long since I've been on one!
    ...and a link that may be of interest: http://www.concept2.com/indoor-rowers/training/tips-and-general-info/damper-setting-101
  • Inkratlet
    Inkratlet Posts: 613 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Regarding the damper setting, you can set it optimally for you by monitoring the drag factor. On a concept2 there are some buttons you can press to display the drag factor. Row normally, and then adjust the damper until you get the drag factor you want. We normally aim for 110-115

Aaaaaand I've just noticed the small print in the post above mine. Doh
  • solarfish
    Options
    Two more 10km rows completed on a C2. Saturday I had to take it very slowly as I was recovering from a lower back injury. I took 49 minutes for the 10km but noticed the damper setting was at 10 and I didn't bother to change it.

Today my back was feeling better and I have moved to a different gym that has plenty of C2s. This time I completed the distance in about 45 minutes using damper setting of 3 to 4.

I still find it almost impossible to get the same speed I can on the WaterRower although stroke rate, technique and heart rate are all very similar. I do feel that the foot plate on the C2 is at a shallower angle and so perhaps that is affecting the power delivery through my legs, I also feel that the C2 is not as smooth so perhaps that is slowing me down. Of course it could also be that the WaterRower is simply calibrated differently.

I'm really not too concerned though as the speed is not important to me and I will be completing the actual marathon on my own machine. At this stage I'm just pleased to be getting the rows in.
  • solarfish
    Options
    Final row on a C2 completed yesterday, I'll be going back to Canada on Sunday. My back injury seems to be healed now and so I was feeling a bit stronger and completed 10km in 44:17, the damper setting was 5. Still not as smooth or as fast as on my WaterRower but I did experiment a bit with emphasising leg push and deliberately slowing down my recovery phase. I was able to achieve greater speed with a lower stroke rate which I think is good and certainly something I'll try on the rower at home. I still find a 10km at a reasonable pace to be quite challenging so I'm wondering how much I might need to drop my pace for longer distances. I'm also wondering whether there is a recommended approach regarding pace over long distances, is it better to start slow and try to maintain consistent pace, or start faster to try and knock of some distance early, or even to take more of an interval approach with regular faster sections followed by recovery sections. Any advice from those who have completed marathons?
  • Bud_
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Even though I did a half marathon yesterday I was feeling pretty good today so thought I'd give the 30km a go, and completed it! B)

Session went really well with only a couple of points of note really. First of all the hardest part for me was around the half way mark when it did become quite a struggle. I started to think that maybe today wasn't the day after all and I was possibly asking a bit much, but after about 2km it passed and I was back into it. I guess it was more of a mental block having only reached the half way point and knowing there was so much still to go.

One hour distance: 13337m
    Half marathon time: 1:35:19 (PB is 1:30:35)

Next sticky point was at 24km - my butt couldn't take anymore! I was within reach of a kitchen chair cover and it looked so comfortable!! :smiley: Put that under me and was really surprised how comfy it was - why have I never thought of that before... perfect!!

Completed without any further problems and even finished with a 500m sprint.

30km time: 2:15:57

Not sure of the next step and when, but the marathon is just a little less scary now...

• Bud_
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Thought I'd juts update this with my progress this week...

After having a rest day, the next two days I did a HM each time and then another 30km after a further rest day. 30km was much the same (just 18 secs slower) and the need to use the cushion at 24km. Only real difference of note was that, unusually for me, I suffered cramp in my right calf at 26km and also in my left calf (quite a severe one) during warm-down. Not really sure of the reason why but it was quite a strenuous week so maybe it was just that.

Looking forward to steady progress...

• solarfish
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Unfortunately work commitments since my return to Canada have put a massive dent in my exercise program. The last two weeks I have not gone to the gym at all, so no weight training and I have only managed to do some rowing and one elliptical session.

25th July - 10km in 41:46, first time back on my WaterRower and the time was pretty good, but I certainly could feel that a week without exercise was having a negative impact. I had planned to go for an hour but was already exhausted.

26th July - 5km in 19:37, I actually thought I was heading for a PB and so really went hard at the end. However I missed the PB by 11 seconds and was then far too tired to do any more. I certainly need to start at an easier pace if I'm going for distance.

August 1st - 1 hour row using intervals of 2:30 moderate pace and then 30 seconds easy. I wasn't sure what moderate pace should be so started fairly fast, under 2 min split and with the 30 seconds at easy pace I was able to keep a good pace over all. I did actually stop the clock at 10km because I realised I had achieved a big PB, 39:57. I then carried on but had a bad cramp at about 12km and had to stop for a few minutes, I'm pretty sure the problem was lack of hydration so I need to do a better job with that. I finished off the last 12 minutes at a much easier pace, about 2:30, but still ended up covering 14.5km in an hour which is also a PB.

I am determined to make the time to get more exercise in, I will stick to the plan for rowing though, so that means just two rows per week. I'm not due to try a 20km until 25th August but if I find I am feeling good at 1 hour mark I may push on and see if I can get there.
  • solarfish
    Options
    I'm so weak I can hardly type, but I just completed my first half marathon! I started out doing an hour of intervals (2m:30s moderate pace then 30s easy pace). I went a little slower than last time, about 2:05 to 2:10 splits, to try to avoid cramps.

I completed 5km in about 21m, 10km in 44m and 13.5km in an hour so quite a bit slower than my last row. However I was feeling fairly good so decided to up the pace and go for about 4 minutes at around 2:00 splits then 30s easy. The last 500m I could see I had a chance to get under 1h:30m so sprinted to the end and finished in 1h:29m:39s.

Time for a long drink and a rest I think!
  • cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    congrats on getting the half done.
    now the hard work begins...........
  • Bud_
    Options
    WELL DONE!!
    That's great news and thanks for letting us know how it went. B)

Keep up the great work...
  • solarfish
    Options
    I did the interval program again today but decided I would go for speed rather than distance as I did a long row already this week. I had all my 2:30 medium pace intervals under 2:00 split and went hard at about 37 minutes to get a personal best for 10km, 39m:51s.

I'm still not finding the time to work out as regularly as I want to and in particular have not been to the gym for over three weeks now. I want to keep up with the rowing so I can do the marathon next month, but workload is definitely against me.
  • solarfish
    Options
    Today I decided from the start I was going for a half marathon again. I didn't do intervals this time, just tried to keep at a constant rate for as long as possible. The first hour was almost continuous 2:08 split pace and stroke rate of about 24 to 25. After the hour I could tell my technique was not so good and the split times started to extend to 2:10 or higher. I tried to up the stroke rate to maintain the splits and with a finalnsprint at the end I just snuck under the 90 minute barrier again with 1:29:59!

Still finding it very difficult to get workouts in but I haven't given up on the marathon goal yet.
  • solarfish
    Options
    Only managing to get in one workout each week at the moment which is really not good. Last week was a 16km row at a steady pace between 2:10 and 2:20.

Today was my longest row so far, 23km using intervals based on stroke rate, 500m at 22spm, 300m at 24spm, 200m at 26spm. I have to say this was relatively easy, I didn't feel exhausted at the end and felt I could easily have got to 30km if I had the time.

Next week I'm going to try to get some more workouts in and will see if I can do a 30km row at the weekend.
  • Bud_
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Keep it going! Seems like you're well on track. Good to hear the 23km went well and personally I've found the gap between 23km and 30km is fine if you're feeling good at that point, so I shouldn't imagine you'd have much problem reaching the the 30km mark.

My own training is going well with most days getting a HM in. The last 30km I did (Sunday) was my best yet and I felt I could easily have gone on to complete the marathon, if it wasn't for one thing... cramps! Energy wise it was a stroll but I've been having problems with calf cramps recently. From around 15km I have to be quite cautious as I can feel my calves threatening to cramp. This tends to remian much the same up to the 30km point but I feel to push it further could be harmful. I guess I just need to persist and keep putting the training in until it eases...

All my other muscles feel fine and now I have a seatpad even my backside doesn't mind!

I've been using some supplements (whey, creatine & betaine) and try to make sure I am getting my potassium which includes bananas. I also make sure I'm well hydrated with plenty of water before and take in around 1ltr per hour of energy drink whilst rowing.

I would appreciate it if anyone has any suggestions as to what I may be doing wrong or how to deal with these cramps.

Thanks and good luck all!
  • BlackLabLover
    BlackLabLover Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I would forego the energy drinks. Too much sugar. Get some mineral drinks... high5 zero, etc... if you can stand it, take random tablespoons of blackstrap molasses (lots of potassium - more than bananas) and start tracking your potassium intake.
  • BlackLabLover
    BlackLabLover Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    the third quarter is the toughest...it's mental - ok and a bit physical ;) (I have only done 1 marathon.)