Anyone interested in a rowing marathon?

Options
I was inspired by a blog entry from downsizinghoss. I have a rowing machine at home but have tended to prefer the elliptical for my cardio workouts. But I felt like a change so this week I started training to do a rowing marathon by the end of September. I thought I'd post here in case anyone would like to join me.

I'm following a training plan I found on the C2 site, it basically involves doing at least 10 x 10k in the first two months, then four hour long sessions with specific intervals then a couple of 20k rows with intervals and finally one 30k row before the actual marathon.

If anyone is an Endomondo user then I have created a challenge you can join there too.

So far I have completed my first 10km on Tuesday of this week and I have my second one coming up tomorrow.

Replies

• solarfish
    solarfish Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I'll give this a bump or two over the next week or so in case anyone is interested. Finished my second 10k today in a PB time, 41m 21s. Now I realise that I will certainly not be able to maintain that pace for a marathon, I was exhausted afterwards, but still pleased with the achievement. It's warm here (by our standards in the Canadian Rockies) and I think I lost a couple of pounds in sweat! So a learning point is certainly that I will need to work out some way of re-hydrating during the marathon when I get to that stage.
  • solarfish
    Options
    Last update in case anyone wants to join me. Two more 10km rows completed this week. Tuesday I went out really hard for first 5km then eased off for second half and managed to take a few more seconds off my 10km best, it is now 41m 12s. Today I decided to do an easy pace for the whole distance, I kept my stroke at about 25 and my heart rate was averaged about 121. I completed the 10km in about 47m and then carried on to the hour mark with a total distance of 12.6km. I felt really good at the hour mark so I certainly think that pace could be OK for a longer distance.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    You may get a better response if you post this in the rowing group......

community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/6431-rowing
  • solarfish
    Options
    You may get a better response if you post this in the rowing group......

community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/6431-rowing

Thanks Brian, I never knew that group existed, I have started a thread there and will stop with the updates here.