Non Dairy Protein

Options
Is there anyone here who gets their daily protein from non-dairy sources? I can't do milk, soy, or beans. I also can't do Hemp. Anyone here like this? How do you do it. I don't even like meat that much but I eat it.

Replies

• retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    PM sent with a helpful lists of sources, it comes from the Eat, Train, Progress group's moderator.

Have you been tested for your protein issue? Some can not digest protein properly, since all those sources listed above are the normal ones people eat besides meat/fish, perhaps you should speak to your dr. about this?
  • Valtishia
    Valtishia Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    If you are interested in a protein powder, there is Heartland brown rice protein. There is no added anything if you get the plain. The vanilla has some flavoring and stevia though. Warning! It is super grainy compared to whey. You get used to it after time though.
  • Anacleto07
    Anacleto07 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Peas, alfalfa sprouts, peanuts (or any kind of nuts) sunflower seeds, chia seeds, flax seeds, lentils and brown rice are all good sources of protein!!... I'm a vegetarian so I don't eat meat and I eat dairy occasionally. These are usually where I get my main source of protein!... Hope this helped!
  • RunRachelleRun
    RunRachelleRun Posts: 1,854 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Valtishia wrote: »
    If you are interested in a protein powder, there is Heartland brown rice protein. There is no added anything if you get the plain. The vanilla has some flavoring and stevia though. Warning! It is super grainy compared to whey. You get used to it after time though.

I have a legume allergy so no beans, lentils, peas, soy, peanuts for me. And I tested positive for a dairy allergy at one point, though I am eating it now with no recognizable problems.

(Edited) I used the Nutribiotic vanilla brown rice protein for a long time. It tasted good in protein balls (sunflower seed butter, dates, nuts or cereals, cocoa powder) and I would add it to things like pancakes, muffins, etc. (though you have to add a little more liquid and/or reduce the amount of dry ingredients). Otherwise, if I made it in a shake I had to add a banana and berries and had to drink it fairly quickly; it definitely has a grainy texture compared to whey.

I'm in Canada and it costs about $75 for 1 kg up here, but I could buy the exact same tub at Super Supplements online in the States for $25 or less (this was over a year ago though). I would order and pick up a stockpile since it has a long expiry date. My vegan son drank it mixed with hot water and a little cocoa. This is a great supplement, but I would still recommend you try to eat a little meat as the rice protein is an incomplete protein (does not contain all the essential amino acids). My doctor told me it's not advisable to be vegetarian if you can't eat legumes or dairy.

And quinoa and chia seeds have some protein, as do all seeds and nuts.
  • XavierNusum
    XavierNusum Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Anacleto07 wrote: »
    Peas, alfalfa sprouts, peanuts (or any kind of nuts) sunflower seeds, chia seeds, flax seeds, lentils and brown rice are all good sources of protein!!... I'm a vegetarian so I don't eat meat and I eat dairy occasionally. These are usually where I get my main source of protein!... Hope this helped!

Also quinoa has a decent amount of protein.
  • Valtishia
    Options

I have a legume allergy so no beans, lentils, peas, soy, peanuts for me. And I tested positive for a dairy allergy at one point, though I am eating it now with no recognizable problems.

(Edited) I used the Nutribiotic vanilla brown rice protein for a long time. It tasted good in protein balls (sunflower seed butter, dates, nuts or cereals, cocoa powder) and I would add it to things like pancakes, muffins, etc. (though you have to add a little more liquid and/or reduce the amount of dry ingredients). Otherwise, if I made it in a shake I had to add a banana and berries and had to drink it fairly quickly; it definitely has a grainy texture compared to whey.

I'm in Canada and it costs about $75 for 1 kg up here, but I could buy the exact same tub at Super Supplements online in the States for $25 or less (this was over a year ago though). I would order and pick up a stockpile since it has a long expiry date. My vegan son drank it mixed with hot water and a little cocoa. This is a great supplement, but I would still recommend you try to eat a little meat as the rice protein is an incomplete protein (does not contain all the essential amino acids). My doctor told me it's not advisable to be vegetarian if you can't eat legumes or dairy.

And quinoa and chia seeds have some protein, as do all seeds and nuts.

Not sure if you are still using the brown rice protein at all, but you can buy 3kg of the heartland brand on bodyenergyclub.com for $75+tax, free shipping with no minimums. They are based out of BC, so depending where you live, they may have a location closer to you to buy in store. I am not sure if the price is the same in store however.
  • RunRachelleRun
    RunRachelleRun Posts: 1,854 Member
    Options
    Not sure if you are still using the brown rice protein at all, but you can buy 3kg of the heartland brand on bodyenergyclub.com for $75+tax, free shipping with no minimums. They are based out of BC, so depending where you live, they may have a location closer to you to buy in store. I am not sure if the price is the same in store however.

Thanks a lot - I'd never heard of that site. I was using the Heartland at first, but I couldn't find it anywhere after a while.
  • Valtishia
    Options

Thanks a lot - I'd never heard of that site. I was using the Heartland at first, but I couldn't find it anywhere after a while.

You are very welcome. They have a points program too. It equals to about $25 off every 3-4 containers I buy. Its not bad really. I live in Ontario and I get it in about a week. You would get it much quicker.
  • Eliza618
    Eliza618 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I am wondering if you have any problems with eggs. There is an egg white protein powder. They have around 24 grams of protein in a serving. You can find the powers on Amazon. Just do a search for egg white protein powder. Also eggs are a great source of protein alone. I just eat the whites because of cholesterol in the yolks. Good luck.