13»

Replies

• ShootingStar72
    ShootingStar72 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Inca Gold by Clive Cussler
    The History of the Ancient World by Susan Bauer
    Against All Grain by Danielle Walker - I love to read cookbooks

Lots of great book ideas in this post that I'll check into. I register for library cards when visiting other (big) cities so I can access lots of free books on Overdrive.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    camtosh wrote: »
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    How do you all listen to books while you are walking or in the car?

The OverDrive app is a library book borrowing app. Kind of like Kindle, but you can borrow books as through you local library. I live in a small town, but my library is in the system with the Oklahoma City library system, so I have access to all those. I can download a PDF of the book or the files for the audio book, then they return after 14 days if I don't renew them. I just listen offline on my phone with headphones. You can download it all over wifi, as I don't have internet on the phone. Also, if you do have internet access, there are even videos and movies you can "check out" too. Well worth a gander. And if you don't have a current B&M library, I'd recommend getting one, because the access, but literal and digital, is amazing!

You can also, obviously, put the Kindle app on your phone or other device to do similar to above.

oh that's so cool, I'm gonna look into that for my walks so they aren't so boring

I listen to audiobooks in iBooks on my iphone. I have to change the setting in iTunes first so it will recognize the file type and keep the bookmarks.

I don't have an iphone, but that's a good idea. I downloaded the overdrive app and have been trying since then to get access to anything but our library system seems to be extremely difficult to figure out. I'm still waiting to hear back from them about why I cant register for an ecard. someday!
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options

The OverDrive app is a library book borrowing app. Kind of like Kindle, but you can borrow books as through you local library. I live in a small town, but my library is in the system with the Oklahoma City library system, so I have access to all those. I can download a PDF of the book or the files for the audio book, then they return after 14 days if I don't renew them. I just listen offline on my phone with headphones. You can download it all over wifi, as I don't have internet on the phone. Also, if you do have internet access, there are even videos and movies you can "check out" too. Well worth a gander. And if you don't have a current B&M library, I'd recommend getting one, because the access, but literal and digital, is amazing!

You can also, obviously, put the Kindle app on your phone or other device to do similar to above.

oh that's so cool, I'm gonna look into that for my walks so they aren't so boring

I listen to audiobooks in iBooks on my iphone. I have to change the setting in iTunes first so it will recognize the file type and keep the bookmarks.

I don't have an iphone, but that's a good idea. I downloaded the overdrive app and have been trying since then to get access to anything but our library system seems to be extremely difficult to figure out. I'm still waiting to hear back from them about why I cant register for an ecard. someday!

Just go to overdrive.com From there it, will ask you to select your library. Use that card/number to log in just like you would if you were at the library and wanted to see what books you had checked out or your fines or whatever. I didn't have to use any ecard... Overdrive will have a dropdown list for you to select from. If you have ever used your card to log in to use a PC or station at the library, you should be able to access this.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options

Just go to overdrive.com From there it, will ask you to select your library. Use that card/number to log in just like you would if you were at the library and wanted to see what books you had checked out or your fines or whatever. I didn't have to use any ecard... Overdrive will have a dropdown list for you to select from. If you have ever used your card to log in to use a PC or station at the library, you should be able to access this.

I did that, I don't know my library card, I haven't had one since I was a kid. so I tried signing up for one online and it says I already have one and to call, I called the library and they can't figure out why it won't let me sign up for an ecard, i asked if they could just send me a new card since the system thinks i have one but they couldn't find me in the system either. they said they will investigate and get back to me. I tried signing my bf up for one but they need proof of his identity and address before they issue one, so I have to wait till I get home to send it. its all very complicated just to borrow an ebook, I wonder what they think will happen, I can't run off with the thing its electronic.
  • annalisbeth74
    annalisbeth74 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I just found the kindle app the other day and was so excited! I am re-reading an old James Rollins favorite (well, all of his are favorites), Deep Fathom. Also trying to make my way through Gary Taubes' Good Calories, Bad Calories but it's just so darn technical, and seems to contain a lot of the same info from his other book and the Phinney/Volek book. I pick it up now and then anyway though.

And does anyone else read fanfiction? I got hooked several years ago (and write some as well) and am almost ashamed to say that I am now hooked on Hawaii Five-O fanfic.

I'll be checking out Rick Riordan too. That sounds right up my alley. And I should definitely check out Maria Emerich's book. I love her blog.

And has anyone read The Martian? I noticed it's on sale at the kindle store and I'm wondering if it's worth a read before I see the movie.
  • camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    And has anyone read The Martian? I noticed it's on sale at the kindle store and I'm wondering if it's worth a read before I see the movie.

That is the 2nd audiobook I started last weekend on my walk! Good so far, not too far into it yet, though. I like the snarky tone of the guy reading it... First bit is about he survives after being stranded, lots of nerdiness.

re: why getting ebooks from libraries is hard: a podcast I like interviewed a librarian, who explained that some trade paperbacks cost $15 for the book and $48 for the ebook... and libraries ain't rolling in dough, so they can't afford so many ebooks. And on top of that, they are limited in the number of times they can loan the ebook out. "So, yes, HarperCollins does twenty-six circulations." And then the ebook expires.

Read the interview (or listen) here: http://smartbitchestrashybooks.com/podcast/117-libraries-buying-ebooks-and-diverse-historicals-an-interview-with-librarian-dena-heilik/#transcript

• SlimBride2Be
    SlimBride2Be Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Ending Emotional Eating. Great tips for dealing with cravings.
  • Standsfast
    Standsfast Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Another new thing learned--never knew about borrowing on-line books from the library. That's why I check in here.

Just finished Overdiagnosed-by H. Gilbert Welch. This book is about benefits vs. harm of medical screenings, how preventive screening may not be helpful. The author explains statistical concepts of evidence-based medicine. I was happy to learn we share ideas of benign neglect--that I am not the only person who disagrees with a lot of the testing people go through when they do not have any symptoms. Many people get treated for issues that were not destined to become problems anyway. Interesting.

One book I keep ignoring is the textbook for Extra Class Ham Radio Operator. I have my General Class license and have been only half-heartedly studying for the upgrade to Extra. Problem is that I bought this book 2 years ago and the pool questions in this book will be outdated by June of next year. Which means I will then have an outdated book of test questions.

Happy Friday, everyone!

• boohooboo
    boohooboo Posts: 51 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    reading "little bee" by chris cleave. i am loving it.

when i am not doing that, i am writing query letters for my novel. i am trying to start my career as a writer :)
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    I got over half of Keto Clarity read last night. I wish I had had the book a year ago. It would have saved me a lot of research and struggles in learning how of live in nutritional ketosis as a way of life. I recommend both Cholesterol and Keto Clarity. Short of being a type 1 diabetic nutritional ketosis should be a low brainer for most of us per the book.
  • totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    I got over half of Keto Clarity read last night. I wish I had had the book a year ago. It would have saved me a lot of research and struggles in learning how of live in nutritional ketosis as a way of life. I recommend both Cholesterol and Keto Clarity. Short of being a type 1 diabetic nutritional ketosis should be a low brainer for most of us per the book.

Jimmy Moore's books are great - he's a great communicator and has really worked hard to keep it all readable and not boring! The "Art and Science" guys are pretty good too, but some other folk need to have someone edit their books!
  • fatchimom
    fatchimom Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I loved Keto Clarity. I'm now reading Keto-Adapted and ordered Grain Brain and Wheat Belly.