Ranting about naysayers

Options
1235»

Replies

• ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    andsion="Gnulie;33768742"]The doc I work for shares office space with an endocrinologist. I overheard someone say "I can't wait to get my insulin pump then I can eat whatever I want". Alrighty then![/quote]

One of my ex boyfriends that I keep in touch with was recently diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes and It's already affecting his vision! A few weeks ago I had him over for a visit and we had dinner and caught up and I tried to give him some hints, tips and tricks about how to eat better. But he said to me, " I don't want to be the guy who has to say no." I didn't really understand what he meant so he elaborated: " I don't want to be the guy who has to say no to everything that tastes good especially at family gatherings and during holidays. I want to be able to have s real coke and treat myself once in awhile." I was sitting there in disbelief listening to him as he said this to me and all the while I'm thinking to myself, "Do you not care about your vision at all?" I guess if / when he goes blind, maybe then he'll start caring. I pity him because he is a relatively young guy, in his mid to late 30's.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    ladipoet wrote: »
    andsion="Gnulie;33768742"]The doc I work for shares office space with an endocrinologist. I overheard someone say "I can't wait to get my insulin pump then I can eat whatever I want". Alrighty then!

One of my ex boyfriends that I keep in touch with was recently diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes and It's already affecting his vision! A few weeks ago I had him over for a visit and we had dinner and caught up and I tried to give him some hints, tips and tricks about how to eat better. But he said to me, " I don't want to be the guy who has to say no." I didn't really understand what he meant so he elaborated: " I don't want to be the guy who has to say no to everything that tastes good especially at family gatherings and during holidays. I want to be able to have s real coke and treat myself once in awhile." I was sitting there in disbelief listening to him as he said this to me and all the while I'm thinking to myself, "Do you not care about your vision at all?" I guess if / when he goes blind, maybe then he'll start caring. I pity him because he is a relatively young guy, in his mid to late 30's.[/quote]

I really think it's the focus on the deprivation. For some people the idea of saying no equals immediately reduced quality of life and let's face it, they are sick and suffering so they can't imagine living an even worse life without their yummy "treats". I think those are words that identify a bad relationship with food and suggests that life consists of the good times while being "treated" and then the time in between...
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    At 64 I no longer have a problem saying NO to anyone or anything that gets between me any my goal to be walking, talking and remembering all the way up to my 110+ birthday. There are times when being simple minded on critical issues is a plus. :)

Where I make it to just 65, 95 or 125 I am through listening to failures UNLESS they are begging me to not follow their path. Daily I talk to people deep into suicidal eating as I was a year ago but no more.
  • greenautumn17
    greenautumn17 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Interesting that you mentioned not wanting to be the guy who says no...
    After church today there was a soup and sandwich luncheon that my daughter wanted to attend. Of course, there was nothing I could eat there, so I just sipped an iced tea. It was a bit uncomfortable being the only one without a plate, but I just let people think I wasn't hungry.

Oh, and I seldom have sodas (even diet ones) because they tend to upset my stomach, but just yesterday I decided to try about 8 oz of a Cherry Coke Zero (I shared a 16oz bottle with my daughter). Was I impressed! Good taste, and no stomachache later. If (and I stress the IF) I feel like a soda in the future, I guess that will be the one I go for.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Most people don't pay attention to what others have (or don't have) on their plates. I don't ever worry about turning down carbage though.
  • KittensMaster
    KittensMaster Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    I get grief from some that know I am low carb

If I ride after work I snarf down a 250 calorie Snickers bar. People used to ask how that was on my diet.

I tell them I'm gonna burn off about 1800 in the next couple hours.

Those that don't know/understand/comprehend the intricacies of food as fuel when needed look at me weird. Or they used to.

Being yourself is a powerful liberating thing.

Kind of like riding down the road in my convertible with my daughter singing our favorite song along with the radio.... Not caring about anybody else. Just us having our moment.