Low Carb eating at a sushi restaurant - advice?

Options
mrron2u
mrron2u Posts: 919 Member
So next week I know that some friends and I will be meeting at a sushi bar for lunch and of course there seem to be tons of carbs in sushi. Any items or suggestions for keeping my carbs to 30ish for one meal at a sushi restaurant? I know I need to avoid rice. Looking at their menu now to see what other options there are for me. Just wondering if any of you low carbers have encountered this and how you dealt with it.

Replies

• ambergem1969
    ambergem1969 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    That's a tough one - lots of added sugars in Japanese food. What about miso soup (depending on what's in it), sashimi, green salad but skip the wasabi dressing. I've been avoiding sushi restaurants tbh...
  • ceciliaslater
    ceciliaslater Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Yeah, sushi is hard unless you just go with straight sashimi. You might be able to get away with some ika (calamari) salad, but the carb stats vary quite a bit by restaurant.

If the restaurant is open to modifications, you might be able to get them to make a hand roll for you, leaving out the rice. It's worth a shot. Worst they can say is no!
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    I think the Japanese make their sushi rice with vinegar, and that cancels out all the bad effects of the carbs. Well, that's how I justify eating sushi. :)

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16015276

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12792658

... the combination of carbohydrate foods with vinegar, dairy products, and bean products significantly decreased the GI value of white rice of 20-40%.
  • DianaElena76
    DianaElena76 Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    wabmester wrote: »
    I think the Japanese make their sushi rice with vinegar, and that cancels out all the bad effects of the carbs. Well, that's how I justify eating sushi. :)

... the combination of carbohydrate foods with vinegar, dairy products, and bean products significantly decreased the GI value of white rice of 20-40%.

Holy moly, you just gave me a reason to live! AND to justify eating sushi!
  • pennell12
    pennell12 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Sashimi= Raw fish. Same as sushi w/out rice. deelish:)
  • KittensMaster
    KittensMaster Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Just the fish

• Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    wabmester wrote: »

Ty for sharing this. I read that somewhere, but unlike you I'm not so organized to bookmark good findings :)

I make my own sushi rice with erythritol and more 7% table vinegar instead of the milder 5% rice vinegar. No problem eating 200g cooked rice on hard training days.

I'm not sure if it will work for a lazy day, though with regards to NK. Much like Peter Attia, I find that on really hard workout days, I can eat «anything». He calls it creating a «carb sink hole».

Edit: I've also tried to chill it in fridge for more RS. But there are conflicting opinions on the matter. Savetheanimal says white rice has no RS. But in a bit shady study the claimed rice AND pasta has reduced carbs that are uptaken by body, when served cold. I don't really know what is right. At the time I did these experiments, there were too many going on same time. So can't make conclusions for separate effects. I did increase TDEE overall in that period, maybe cause of mitochondrial biogenesis.
  • Thaeda
    Thaeda Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    If I stick to things like salmon roll or yellowtail roll, there is very little rice in them. I usually do a mix of sashimi and the "meatier" rolls. :)
  • Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    pennell12 wrote: »
    Sashimi= Raw fish. Same as sushi w/out rice. deelish:)

Yup, but not all is raw. It's just the fish (or egg) prepared the same way as it would for sushi or maki.

Most rolls that are fish, veggie/ avocado, seaweed, and rice are about 8gm carbs per roll. Add mayo (as in a spicy roll), cream cheese, breaking or tempura and the carb count climbs. Most philly rolls list 30gm carbs for instance.

You could consider taking coconut aminos to use instead of soy sauce. (I think it has fewer carbs, but I might be wrong on that).

Wasabi has minimal carbs. The pickled ginger has some.

There are a surprising number of sushi entries in the MFP database.
  • glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    when my husband (whose total carb intake is higher LC than mine) wants his quinoa sushi from Whole Foods, I torture their chefs by asking for rolls with no rice. They still use a couple smooshed pieces to hold the nori together, but that's waaaay better than a whole roll! sometimes they give me a look and only make me handrolls, but throw some wasabi on that, burn the sinuses, and enjoy!
  • MistressPi
    MistressPi Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I go to Japanese restaurants all the time. This is what I order (not all on the same day!):

miso soup (but only if I know this restaurant has good miso soup! some of the cheaper restaurants use powdered instant miso soup that tastes awful.)
    sashimi, all kinds
    soy sauce with a little wasabi
    about 1 Tbs of pickled ginger
    broiled salmon collar (or any broiled fish collar)
    salted, broiled fish filet (called "misoyaki", e.g., saba misoyaki)
    poke (Hawaiian-style raw tuna with seasonings)
    seaweed salad
    edamame
    broiled mussels with spicy mayonnaise
    salmon skin salad
    "dynomite" (a casserole of scallops and mushrooms baked with spicy mayonnaise)

sometimes a restaurant will have grilled mushrooms or asparagus

there are a few kinds of fish that I just can't eat as sashimi - got to have a little rice with them. Raw mackerel or fish roe, for example. If I want one of those, I eat an order of two pieces of nigiri. It ends up having about 1/8 cup of rice. I just log it.

HTH
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    I adore sushi. I just eat the raw salmon by itself these days.
  • mrron2u
    mrron2u Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Hey all - just an update and a thank you. I went to eat sushi with my friend today and tested my blood sugar 90 minutes after the meal and my reading was 103. I think I figured out how to work it. I'll be honest - I completely avoided rice. See the attached if you are curious about what I ate. oqix8c04iwqu.jpg
  • CoffeeNBooze
    CoffeeNBooze Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    ^^ Looks like you did really well. I was going to suggest going for an item that wasn't sushi since they usually have a few other options at the restaurant. Couldn't have done it better myself