SUP: Whaaaat?

Options
boohooboo
boohooboo Posts: 51 Member
just wondering if anyone else out there has ever done SUP (stand-up paddleboarding.) i did it today for the first time for 2 hours. so fun! since MFP doesn't have it in it's exercise database, i went to an outside database to estimate my calorie burn. it tells me that for two hours, i burned 1200 calories? whhhhhhhaaaat? this seems crazy to me. but if any of you are more experienced with this, please let me know if there's a calculator that you find reliable. i only eat 1500 calories a day, so while part of me would jump up and down thinking i could eat 2700 calories today, a part of me cannot freaking believe it.

Replies

• mlinton_mesapark
    mlinton_mesapark Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I've done SUP, once, with my husband on a date. We were pretty leisurely about it, paddling on a flat lake, so while it was a decent workout, I don't think what we were doing could have burned 1000 calories or more. Now, with some current, and an all out effort, I suppose 1200 calories is entirely possible, especially over two hours.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I generally assume that most calorie estimations are going to be about double what they actually are. So, add 600 calories, instead, and don't force yourself to eat more if you're not hungry. 2100 calories is still a fair amount of food. (Though, conversely, don't force yourself to not eat if you're hungry, because you may very well have burned more than the 600. The beauty of this way of eating is that we can better listen to our hunger signals.)
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    It's basically stand-up kayaking, right? Just enter kayaking for an estimate. Eat more if you're still hungry. :)
  • Chabela53
    Chabela53 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    It kind of makes sense. You are using your core big time balancing, as well as upper body and cardio. I have heard it is fun, but my sense of balance....well..can you say woman overboard? LOL
  • AngInCanada
    AngInCanada Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    All four of SUP! My kids have SUP'd since they were 6 and 8 years old. I've also done a SUP yoga class
  • ceciliaslater
    ceciliaslater Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    My sister is big into SUP. From talking to her (for reference, she's super fit and weighs maybe 125-130--works out constantly, P90X and whatnot), I would believe the 1200 calorie estimate if you were out on the ocean, in the current, paddling against the current, etc. But, if you were able to do it for 2 hours, I'm guessing it probably wasn't quite that intense, so may be safer to go with a lower calorie count...
  • boohooboo
    boohooboo Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    thanks, all. was not in the ocean -- was in the potomac river, which had a bit of current happening, but nothing like an ocean current (except when motorboats passed -- eek, the wake!) i'll assume maybe half of that count. (and i'll also assume i'm going to be taking some motrin -- i can already feel muscles that are not too happy with me, lol!
  • mlinton_mesapark
    mlinton_mesapark Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Epsom salt bath!
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    boohooboo wrote: »
    thanks, all. was not in the ocean -- was in the potomac river, which had a bit of current happening, but nothing like an ocean current (except when motorboats passed -- eek, the wake!) i'll assume maybe half of that count. (and i'll also assume i'm going to be taking some motrin -- i can already feel muscles that are not too happy with me, lol!

Woo hoo! I love sore muscles! Because I know I'm burning even more calories while they build and repair. Make sure you have good protein to support them.