Where do you buy your meat?

Options
I'm trying to eat lower carb: I've gone from about 140 grams a day to about 70 grams and want to go lower. However meat is quite a bit more expensive than the lentils and chickpeas I am used to eating. Any advice?

Replies

• Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I live in the U.S., in a rural area. This year I bought 1/4 a cow, at $4/pound plus $0.40/ pound butchering fees, based on hanging weight (about 20% more than the final weight). Totaled about $600, but I have at least 7-8 months worth of high-quality grass-fed steaks, roasts, ribs, and ground beef. They gave me all the organ meat from the two steers they were butchering at the time, too. The beef filled a 7-cubic foot freezer, plus my kitchen freezer, plus most of my 4-ft cubic freezer.

Three of my friends split another 1/4 of the same cow. Some people call that "cow-sharing" :wink:

I buy chicken, brats, bacon, and Canadian bacon at Costco, or from farming friends if they're butchering some. I try to pay a similar price to my friends, as they're usually free-range and pastured animals that are well cared for. It's usually more than they sell for, though.

Eggs are a great economical option for protein, too, if your carb goals can manage the 1-2 carbs per egg.
  • radiii
    radiii Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I shop at BJ's, a warehouse store (similar to costco/sam's club), so I get all of my meat in bulk there. For cost in general keep in mind that on low carb the cheaper cuts of meat are often the best. Chicken Thighs with the skin on are cheaper than boneless skinless breasts by a lot, and are much better for low carbers. Same thing with ground beef, the 80/20 or 73/27 stuff that's significantly cheaper is preferred to 95/5 super lean beef.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I usually do superstore or Costco if I am out of meat. We cow and pig share with family too, so the cost is to buy the animal, borrow a larger cooler, sausage casings, and then the wrapping paper since we do our own butchering.

For fish, we stock up on fishing trips and freeze it for the year.
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,060 Member
    Options
    I am Canadian, and buy 95% of my meat directly from farmers who raise grass fed and pastured meat. We call this a farm subscription which I renew every Spring. I decide what I want to order each year, this year was 1/4 grass fed cow, 1/2 pastured heritage pig, 40 pounds of ground beef, 40 pounds of ground pork, 12 free range chickens, one free range turkey. I also get 6 dozen free range eggs monthly. My farmers come into the city and I meet them once per month to pick up my order. I pay by post dated monthly cheques, about $190/month, which actually works out to less than what I used to pay for conventional meat.

Cost wise, I think I am also saving money by not having to buy all the dry goods and packaged crap we used to eat, since we gave up eating processed food. ( I was vegetarian for 2 years) I take great comfort in knowing exactly where most of my food comes from, and in the summer I grow a huge garden which produces most of our produce which I freeze or can for future use. I love eating a meal that comes exclusively from my farmers and my own yard. It really depends on how you choose to spend your food dollars. Some of my food times cost more, but I buy less of them. For instance, the past 3 years I bought 1/2 cow, but since beef prices went up, I chose 1/4 cow this year along with extra ground meat which was cheaper.

The beauty of the meat arrangement is that I don't get all of this all at once and have to worry about how I will store it all. 4 months out of the year I will pick up 1/4 of my annual beef order, 4 months out of the year, I will pick up 1/4 of my pork and ground meat order, 2 months in the fall are for poultry, and 2 months for farm extras. I get organs, bones, and animal parts like chicken and pork feet, pork head and bones for free. I am lucky in that I usually will take the parts that other subscribers do not want. I then make various flavours of bone broth which I store in the freezer, and I render my own lard and tallow.

By getting fresh meat every month ( wrapped in old fashioned butcher paper, so it keeps in the freezer very well), I don't have to worry about the 1/2 animal I purchased getting freezer burned or old before we eat the meat. I also have a good supply of many different meats in my freezers at any given time. I have 2 x 7-8 cu ft freezers and my fridge freezer almost full most of the time.

As an extra bonus I buy items such as homemade soap that my farmers make from animal fat. They also have connections to other farmers and suppliers of local products such as fish, wild rice, organic fair trade coffee beans, hemp seeds, etc etc. I will never go back to purchasing food in a conventional way again. It really has enriched our lives and our health has benefited enormously.

On the other hand, there are many people on this forum who eat conventionally raised meat and they have many additional ways to watch costs. I am sure you will receive many tips from them as well. It's all in what you are looking for. Good luck !
  • annalisbeth74
    annalisbeth74 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I do all my shopping at Walmart, because my church sells gift cards to there and the school gets a cut of the sales. I always look for meats on sale and stock up, but unfortunately that is rare. But the good thing about this woe is not worrying about fat content, so the 85% ground beef is always cheaper than the 96%, and chicken thighs will be cheaper than the breasts. Also, ground turkey in the plastic rolls are, for whatever reason, cheaper than if they're packaged in Styrofoam. Almost $2 cheaper sometimes!

Shopping for this woe definitely has a bit if a learning curve, but I also have noticed that I spend way less overall nowadays because I eat less. The satiety factor of eating more fat makes a huge difference.
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    We buy some from Gordon Food Service, but the rest is locally raised. I find I get the best price buying in bulk and then prepping and freezing.
  • sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I shop the markdown section a lot. Safeway marks down meat at night, so if I can get there at 6-630 am there are some good deals. Raleys markdown is more random, so it's hit and miss but has some nice steaks and roasts. I also buy at costco quite a bit for ground beef, rotisserie chickens. The best deals are from buying 'extra' animals from 4h/ffa kids, they raise 3 and can only sell 2 at the fair auction. So one goes to private butcher, usually gets shared between 2-3 familys. Sooooo good.
  • melodicraven
    melodicraven Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Frequently broke mother of two here, so I feel your pain. LOL. The trick is to stock up when things are on sale. That being said, some things (at least around here) are always consistently cheaper than just about everything else.

Pork shoulder, also known as pork butt, varies from .99/lb on sale to about 1.49-1.69/lb and they come in LARGE portions. Midpriced you can get a giant 7-8 pound roast (with just a little bone) for around $10. For just one person, that one roast could give you meals for a week: green chili pork, pork veggie soup, carnitas, pulled pork, creamy pork and mushrooms, etc. It's a lot of meat.

Someone else mentioned chicken thighs. Usually they're about 1.49-1.69/lb. Ounce for ounce, chicken short thighs are probably gonna give the most meat for the lowest cost. Don't bother getting skinless or boneless. Most meats taste richer when cooked on or with the bones. And if the recipe calls for boneless, short thighs only have the one long bone in them and a few knife strokes and it's out easy peasy. Chicken leg quarters are another really economical choice. You get more bone this way, and of course there's less meat on a chicken leg, but they're usually dirt cheap. Around here a 10 lb bag sells for around $5-$6. And you can portion it out and freeze it in individual servings when you get home. And the extra bones make good stock. Sometimes, whole little chickens will be on sale this way too; they take a little more knifework, but they're much lower cost typically.

Another option, and one a lot of people don't think about, is whole turkeys. Everybody buys turkey breast or sliced turkey deli meat which can be outrageously expensive - $5-$6/lb or more sometimes. But a whole turkey can go for at low as .99/lb, and you get 2 breasts, legs, thighs, etc, and a great big carcass and giblets to make soup with. And don't feel like you have to get the mammoth freakish dinosaur turkey. The little ones are just as good.

And finally fish. If you don't live coastally, and sometimes even if you do, fresh (and frozen) fish can be ridiculously expensive. But there are a few exceptions. Tuna fish is generally very inexpensive. The vacuum packed pouches are generally a little better taste and texture wise than the canned ones; the packing process is just a little different. But they're both good option. Canned salmon is another one. It's a little more expensive, $2.50-$3 a can, but there's quite a bit of fish in one can. Canned mackerel is another inexpensive fish, and it's full of good fats.

Beef is usually a treat in our house. It's gotten so expensive we just don't buy it very often. But when we do, chuck roast is a good option. Hamburger is technically cheaper if you buy the 70/30 mix, but you throw out a lot of grease when you cook it which means you're actually paying more for the meat you're getting out of it. A roast can be stretched out to make a lot of meals just like the pork. You can even use chuck for stir fry, although I'm sure no chef would ever advise you to do that. The trick is to slice it super super thin and against the grain.

Sorry for wall of text. Hopefully some of that will be helpful. :)

• greenautumn17
    greenautumn17 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Yep, I get sticker shock I in the meat department lately, too. I try to buy the meats that have the extra $$ off stickers because they are heading for expiration. Bilo often has "buy one get one free" around here I aim for, especially on chicken. (But, as I have noted before, chicken is NOT my favorite meat). I wish beef was cheaper. But, that is a pipe dream this Labor Day weekend! (and I never have a few hundred to spend on a cow!)
  • KenSmith108
    KenSmith108 Posts: 1,966 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    We shop for meat at Shoprite. We buy our meat on sale, some weeks we buy up to 6 packages of the same meat, break up the packs and freeze them. We have a 7ft. freezer that is usually close to full of meat and the refrig's freezer is full of frozen steamer bags of veggies.. Right now there is a ton of chopped tomatoes in there. We won't buy sauce till maybe next year. We get most of our veggies at the farmer's market, their prices are always good so no need to overstock them. Groceries, the few we still buy we get at Walmart, we seldom see any bargains on their meat or produce. Our weekly food bill between the 3 stores is around $150.
  • gaelicstorm26
    gaelicstorm26 Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I just shop sales. I have a hard time with meat and really tend to not like fatty cuts at all. I can't stomach dark chicken or pork chops or fatty beef, so that drives our bill up. I also can't eat things on bones. I know...strange. I've always been this way, even as a small child.

Anyhow, I buy from our local store and we only have the freezer that is attached to our refrigerator so now real bulk buying over here. I get chicken breasts when they are $1.99/lb and for the rest of the meat, we plan meals based upon the circular.

I feed four people three meals a day and snacks on $150/week in an average cost-of-living area. I buy the kids' lunch stuff in bulk at BJs and get things like Greek yogurt there as well. It's hard to keep the cost down, but by planning meals by sales, it makes things easier.

My stepfather recently got a new job as a butcher so we are going to be getting some meat from him. He is able to get meat that the store needs to get rid of for the price of ground beef!

Our biggest meat spending of the year is the prime rib we buy for Christmas Day. We are the crazy people who cook a turkey and prime rib.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    I buy most of my meat at BJ's (a club). I typically buy the chuck neck roll ($3.99 a pound) and eat a lot of that. I also buy ground beef (73/27%) when I can find it less than $3 a pound. That's at BJ's and a lot of other places also. I prefer the BJ's because it's sourced only from the US. If I end up at Wal-Mart, the meat has a very "international" mix.

Today I picked up a 20 pound chuck roll at the store. It's expensive at time, but it lasts me a long time (about 2 weeks). That with some ground beef typically feeds me for under $8 a day, less than $56 a week ($240 a month). I can bring it down a bit by preferring more ground beef, and drive it up by getting other cuts of beef or lamb.
  • fastforlife1
    fastforlife1 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your answers. Very helpful. I've never even heard of a chuck neck roll before lol
  • cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I buy my beef and pork , occasional lamb(not a huge fan), from a specific local farmer because I love the taste and the people behind it! They don't do junk, or chemicals, and they are a great family farm! EX: I went to the farm market (without pre-ordering) and thought I was short to pay them and since they know me they said I could pay next week! Or a check! Who does that anymore?? They are in demand they don't need me!

I get my chickens from local farmers too as much as possible. But for regular chicken I get Organic at the grocery store. I prefer it taste wise and I feel better about it.

I buy wild caught fish from anywhere I find it.
  • carolrosehill
    carolrosehill Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    @Kitnthecat I'm in Canada too (GTA), and would love to know more about how to connect with sources for ordering meat as you described. Any chance you could share some info via pm?
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,060 Member
    Options
    @carolrosehill, PM sent.