Mindfulness Experiment

Options
2»

Replies

• glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    I won't likely be taking the course, but I thought I'd share my personal anecdote.

After going on and off Low Carb for about five years, my husband and I decided to try mindful eating, where nothing was bad food, nothing was restricted, but we were expected to judge every decision and every bite.

It worked a little, we were definitely mindful, but I still was gaining weight, and "forgiving" myself all my pints of Ben & Jerry's rather than just making better decisions.

Ten pounds later I decided to give LC a try again, found all the info about how I had left off the "HF (High Fat)" end of that - that's where we'd gone wrong doing Low Carb before. I set to work, and had great results.

I actually found that suddenly the Mindful eating bit WAS working, once I got past my initial DTs. It worked itself perfectly into what I was doing, probably laid by the foundation of repeating the mantras and going through the motions, but reinforced by the way my body was positively reacting to an almost total elimination of carbs.

I tried IF last month, faithfully, giving it a shot to see what happened. What happened was I stopped eating mindfully. I ate when it was time to eat. I ate more if I was close to my cut off in the evening, because otherwise I 'wouldn't get the chance.'

Now, at the end of the month and about a week back into 'normal' eating, I have difficulty with impulse and portion control. It's devastating to feel like that discipline and awareness has atrophied. I need to rebuild, refocus, and really make the effort as though I were starting this anew.

It's amazing how all our behaviors work together to reinforce or crumble your efforts.

Just wanted to share that, hope it helps someone.
  • m_puppy
    m_puppy Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Interesting results. Thank you for sharing this. It motivates me to give it a full try. Also, I did the same with IF. Mindless eating as soon as I could eat. Which is weird because I naturally fast for the same amount of time as without IF. So maybe it was the opposite. Too mindful. Too focused on when I could eat next. Meh, I don't know. Thank you again for sharing your perspective and experience.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Okay, so my irritation with this is that the whole thing is sold "as a program." Sending me a once a week email with "things I can do" without a set plan, even loosely and flexibly based, is utterly ridiculous. Yes it is free. Yes, I get that. But don't tell me if it is a program if you aren't going to tell me specifically different things to do in a setting/framework where I can apply it. If they are really after a target audience with binge/over-doing/chaotic people, they EFFED this one up big time. If there is a schedule, I can choose to adapt it, but a loose "here are things you can use" statement without direction is crap. I needed direction. Hence the reason I signed up for a PROGRAM.

Despite that, I did love the actual guided meditation within that video link. It was the first time I think I have ever successfully meditated. And I did it twice. Then downloaded the apps they suggested - again, NO DIRECTION... *sigh*

Also, despite the fact that I added the address and all for the email, the first email routed automatically for a sub-folder so I had to go search to find it and tell my email to move all future ones, too...

I was so frustrated with the first one overall that I haven't gotten back to the second one, which came out yesterday...

Anyone else have expectations with the term program that just aren't being met with this???
  • radiii
    radiii Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    It was the first time I think I have ever successfully meditated. And I did it twice.

This is awesome :) I have to reply when I see folks talk using the word "successful' though, because I think it speaks to the single most important thing that I've learned in studying mindfulness. I see a lot of people saying "I can't do it right", *usually* this is in regards to having some sort of targeted focus (typically on your breathing) for meditation and feeling unable to stay on track and getting distracted from that focus and feeling like you're doing it wrong as a result.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEG4ooN6aFk <-- I really love this channel. The guided meditations on it don't work for me at all, but she has a *lot* of 3-5 minute videos that casually address topics of mindfulness and I think every single one of them is good. This one is a HUGE one though for a lot of folks.

Speaking from my own understanding, there is no way to medidate unsuccessfully. You're either doing it or you're not. There may be times where you find yourself "in the zone" and you aren't hit hard by distractions or thoughts and it feels SPECTACULAR. But sometimes distractions are just everywhere, and that's ok. If you strive for those days where you're in the zone meditating, they probably won't come. You can't force it. You have to just do whatever you're going to do as far as your meditation practice and whatever comes, comes. I have days where I cannot go for more than 2 seconds without some thought coming up. I have some days where I set my alarm for 10 or 20 or 30 minutes and my alarm goes off and I thought I had only been meditating for a minute or two... the time just flew by and it was incredibly peaceful and nice. The meditation where you're distracted like crazy is just as important and just as valuable though. Most of the time there's something in between those two extremes though, and I don't think that necessarily ever changes, even after decades.
    I was so frustrated with the first one overall that I haven't gotten back to the second one, which came out yesterday...

Sorry to hear that part of it. For the stuff I've done (which is limited, I don't mean to sound like some expert here, just someone who has had a pretty wonderful experience exploring mindfulness for a half a year or so), I have a hard time imagining getting started without having had some in person instruction and explanation. Maybe the right youtube vids would have done the trick, I don't know.

If this doesn't work out, I'd definitely encourage everyone who has a curiosity about this to look into other ways to learn.

I know we're both in the Grease Riders group on facebook, if you ever want to chat about any of the stuff they're trying to teach or any experiences you've had, you know where to find me.
  • radiii
    Options
    I had no idea youtube links auto-embedded here now, ugh. I hope that's ok.
  • slimzandra
    slimzandra Posts: 955 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Knit. I hear ya. LOL. Yea, I'm not sure what to make of it. I think the first video was weak. This week, it's a lot of links and reading materials to more links. They are pitching this as a "mini-course" series. I ""guess"" there might be some distinction between a mini-course and a program? I'm attaching the email from this week. A couple of comments:

I like charts - So I'm attaching the Hunger Gauge. Nausea on both ends of the spectrum.
    xu0hfguvikjk.jpg

Another comment is that they don't recommend IF for weight management. Which is interesting..I wonder why? I also don't like that they are pitching this just to Women. I've never been a big fan of women only clubs. Or gender specific anything. If this is a good exercise, then both M/F could benefit. Whatevs..

I'm always interested in exploring something new for 30 days. I committed to this and Yoga for August.
    I'm going to digest (albeit patiently) what they are pitching and then after reviewing the whole series, I'll share my thoughts on being mindful. :) I'm going to read the article tonight.

Welcome to Week 2 of the Mindfulness for Women Who Struggle With Weight mini-course series!
    In our weekly emails you'll find either a video or an article focusing on using mindfulness in certain aspects of your life. You'll also find a compilation of articles and videos to help you expand on the week's learnings.

This week, enjoy an article discussing Mindful Eating, one of our trademark philosophies, by Marsha Hudnall, MS, RDN, CD and President & Co-Owner here at Green Mountain at Fox Run.
    Now that you’ve started your practice of mindfulness with Shiri’s email last week, we invite you to bring this awareness of yourself and your thoughts to the table with you for the practice of Mindful Eating.

The list of things many of us have tried to manage our weight is long. Here's the short list:
    • Diets. If one diet worked, there would never be need for another.
    • Diets that say they’re not diets. Marketing at its best (worst).
    • Supplements. The search for the magic pill continues.
    • Fasting. Too much to say about that here but suffice to say it’s just not a good idea for most people when weight management is the goal.
    • Surgery. Significant health challenges often result, as well as weight regain.
    For the last 42 years at Green Mountain, we've encouraged a different approach: Mindful Eating.
    It's worth adding to the list of things you've tried. You may just find that it is the magic cure.
    Or at least part of it!

Mindful Eating Just Seems Like Magic

Mindful Eating isn't really magic. It's real. It works because you begin to pay attention to your true needs.
    • You notice how hungry you are, and when you feel like you’ve had enough – not just when a diet rule tells you you’ve had enough.
    • You think about what you really want to eat – so that you can meet your needs and feel satisfied.
    • You figure out when you’re not really hungry for food but for something else.
    Here's a really important point: You don't criticize your food or yourself, regardless of what you eat or whether you're hungry when you eat. That's key. Otherwise, you may create emotions that cause cravings or otherwise interfere.
    If you've struggled with eating and weight. you may find these points confusing. You may:
    • Frequently multi-task when you eat so that you don’t notice your appetite cues very clearly.
    • Try to follow advice that tells you when and what to eat – which often doesn't match your needs. So when you eat differently, you feel like you've failed.
    • Think some foods are off-limits – and they're often foods you love. So when you eat them, you feel like you’ve failed again.
    Mindful eating just seems like magic because it helps you get rid of misguided notions like these and begin to eat in a way that truly meets your needs.

Key Steps for Women Who Struggle with Overeating & Weight

Consider these steps for beginning to eat mindfully. They help you tune in and practice eating in a way that meets your needs.
    Eat predictably.
    That means eating when you're hungry and before you get too hungry. Weight-worried women often wait until they're very hungry before they let themselves eat and that sets them up for overeating. If you’re not always clear whether you are hungry or not, the Hunger & Satisfaction Gauge can help.

Eat well-balanced.
    That means eating a mix of protein foods, grains/starchy vegetables and fruits/vegetables throughout the day. That gives your body the nutrients it needs to be healthy, which will help you reach your healthy weight. The Green Mountain Guide to Supportive Eating gives you more information on how this works.

Eat what you want.
    This step works to break the restrict/overeat cycle of eating “healthy” until that first bite of a “fattening” food passes your lips. If the idea of doing this is too threatening, work with someone who can help you feel safe as you experiment.
    These steps are at the foundation of our approach at Green Mountain to achieving and maintaining a healthy weight. They can put you squarely on the path to eating in a way that truly supports your health, your happiness… and your healthy weight, ending the up-and-down struggle that plagues the weight-worried.

Also note that we're hosting a Free webinar on mindful eating: Mindful Eating for Women Who Struggle with Weight on September 1st, 7-8pm US EST where we'll dive deeper into the practice and try some mindful eating exercises.
  • glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    slimzandra wrote: »
    Another comment is that they don't recommend IF for weight management.

They just say "Fasting" in the text you pasted. Possibly they're using that term in terms of "denying yourself food" rather than in a way that specifically dictates when to eat and when to fast.

The other possibility is that it's a way to approach people who are becoming anorexic but who do not yet see themselves as having a problem. Fasting is so popular right now that it has occurred to me it could become an easy explanation for seriously unhealthy behavior.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    radiii wrote: »
    It was the first time I think I have ever successfully meditated. And I did it twice.

This is awesome :) I have to reply when I see folks talk using the word "successful' though, because I think it speaks to the single most important thing that I've learned in studying mindfulness. I see a lot of people saying "I can't do it right", *usually* this is in regards to having some sort of targeted focus (typically on your breathing) for meditation and feeling unable to stay on track and getting distracted from that focus and feeling like you're doing it wrong as a result.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEG4ooN6aFk <-- I really love this channel. The guided meditations on it don't work for me at all, but she has a *lot* of 3-5 minute videos that casually address topics of mindfulness and I think every single one of them is good. This one is a HUGE one though for a lot of folks.

Speaking from my own understanding, there is no way to medidate unsuccessfully. You're either doing it or you're not. There may be times where you find yourself "in the zone" and you aren't hit hard by distractions or thoughts and it feels SPECTACULAR. But sometimes distractions are just everywhere, and that's ok. If you strive for those days where you're in the zone meditating, they probably won't come. You can't force it. You have to just do whatever you're going to do as far as your meditation practice and whatever comes, comes. I have days where I cannot go for more than 2 seconds without some thought coming up. I have some days where I set my alarm for 10 or 20 or 30 minutes and my alarm goes off and I thought I had only been meditating for a minute or two... the time just flew by and it was incredibly peaceful and nice. The meditation where you're distracted like crazy is just as important and just as valuable though. Most of the time there's something in between those two extremes though, and I don't think that necessarily ever changes, even after decades.

Sorry to hear that part of it. For the stuff I've done (which is limited, I don't mean to sound like some expert here, just someone who has had a pretty wonderful experience exploring mindfulness for a half a year or so), I have a hard time imagining getting started without having had some in person instruction and explanation. Maybe the right youtube vids would have done the trick, I don't know.

If this doesn't work out, I'd definitely encourage everyone who has a curiosity about this to look into other ways to learn.

I know we're both in the Grease Riders group on facebook, if you ever want to chat about any of the stuff they're trying to teach or any experiences you've had, you know where to find me.

By successful, I mean stay awake or be able to focus. Usually, I fall asleep. Like a minute in and I'm snoring. Or my mind is so cluttered, it feels like I'm arm-wrestling in another thought in and I just end up getting so frustrated I quit doing it. Usually I can't go ten seconds without being mentally bombarded with 50 other thoughts dying for attention.

Of course, the last time I tried and was all cluttered, I was pre-keto. This time, it was pretty easy... And I struggled a little with the "feeling my body" bits I did on Saturday, but it was better than it used to be. SO that's what I call successful...LOL I can't get on FB as often, as I have very limited access, and I did take a note of your reddit posts about your mindfulness experiment, but I wasn't where i could read it all, so I saved it down, then promptly forgot about it! LOL

Thank you... I'll check in when I can.
  • LindaSmith108
    LindaSmith108 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thaeda wrote: »
    newmeadow wrote: »
    My experience with mindfulness and associated meditative techniques is that they're really good for relieving immediate mental stressors, like free floating anxiety. They aid in strengthening the ability to concentrate and think in a more organized fashion. Emotions are more easily reined in with a regular practice, so the character is strengthened in that way.

But I was often lulled into the false belief that mindfulness and it's associated practices would assist in regulating my disordered eating (addictive, compulsive). It didn't. It didn't make me not want to eat the foods low carbers avoid and it didn't help me control the intake of those foods once they crossed my lips.

I've been tripped up into thinking yoga, meditation and other mystical techniques would cure me of compulsive gluttony. So many times.

I now use a complete abstinence approach to the eating of sweet and starchy carbs and also exclude all grains.

I just mention this to caution anyone who struggles with food the way I do. Mindfulness is wonderful for lots of things but it doesn't automatically regulate compulsive overeating disorders or quell cravings for sweet/starchy foods. So if you're doing well abstaining, I would strongly advise: Don't alter your path.

The women who write these mindfulness books and author mindfulness websites and webinars usually don't come from a history of significant obesity nor, in my opinion, are they geared for people who have a disordered relationship with food and eating.

I know not everyone here has an obesity history or a disordered relationship with food and eating though, so maybe a book or a website like this could be helpful for them.

I have a lengthy history of disordered eating (compulsive eating, binge eating and also restriction) and I have found meditation, yoga and other mindfulness strategies to be an integral part of my healing process. I cannot say I never overeat or eat compulsively, because I still do sometimes- but my binges are far more infrequent now and I am better able to control myself when I really think about how food tastes, or how I feel after I eat it, or whether or not what I am wanting has anything to do with food at all. I am sorry you have not found mindfulness helpful in addressing your ED, but so happy for you that you have found something that works (abstinence). Just more proof that we are each on our own journey and what works for one may not work for another.
    My experience with mindfulness and associated meditative techniques is that they're really good for relieving immediate mental stressors, like free floating anxiety. They aid in strengthening the ability to concentrate and think in a more organized fashion. Emotions are more easily reined in with a regular practice, so the character is strengthened in that way.

But I was often lulled into the false belief that mindfulness and it's associated practices would assist in regulating my disordered eating (addictive, compulsive). It didn't. It didn't make me not want to eat the foods low carbers avoid and it didn't help me control the intake of those foods once they crossed my lips.

I've been tripped up into thinking yoga, meditation and other mystical techniques would cure me of compulsive gluttony. So many times.

I now use a complete abstinence approach to the eating of sweet and starchy carbs and also exclude all grains.

I just mention this to caution anyone who struggles with food the way I do. Mindfulness is wonderful for lots of things but it doesn't automatically regulate compulsive overeating disorders or quell cravings for sweet/starchy foods. So if you're doing well abstaining, I would strongly advise: Don't alter your path.

The women who write these mindfulness books and author mindfulness websites and webinars usually don't come from a history of significant obesity nor, in my opinion, are they geared for people who have a disordered relationship with food and eating.

I know not everyone here has an obesity history or a disordered relationship with food and eating though, so maybe a book or a website like this could be helpful for them.

I have a lengthy history of disordered eating (compulsive eating, binge eating and also restriction) and I have found meditation, yoga and other mindfulness strategies to be an integral part of my healing process. I cannot say I never overeat or eat compulsively, because I still do sometimes- but my binges are far more infrequent now and I am better able to control myself when I really think about how food tastes, or how I feel after I eat it, or whether or not what I am wanting has anything to do with food at all. I am sorry you have not found mindfulness helpful in addressing your ED, but so happy for you that you have found something that works (abstinence). Just more proof that we are each on our own journey and what works for one may not work for another.
    Mami1976D wrote: »
    Thanks. Funny because I signed up more than once, as both personal and professional, and got nada.

I did too, I still haven't gotten anything. Can I still join? It sounded like something I really need.

• KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Knit. I hear ya. LOL. Yea, I'm not sure what to make of it. I think the first video was weak. This week, it's a lot of links and reading materials to more links. They are pitching this as a "mini-course" series. I ""guess"" there might be some distinction between a mini-course and a program? I'm attaching the email from this week. A couple of comments:

I like charts - So I'm attaching the Hunger Gauge. Nausea on both ends of the spectrum.
    xu0hfguvikjk.jpg

Another comment is that they don't recommend IF for weight management. Which is interesting..I wonder why? I also don't like that they are pitching this just to Women. I've never been a big fan of women only clubs. Or gender specific anything. If this is a good exercise, then both M/F could benefit. Whatevs..

I'm always interested in exploring something new for 30 days. I committed to this and Yoga for August.
    I'm going to digest (albeit patiently) what they are pitching and then after reviewing the whole series, I'll share my thoughts on being mindful. :) I'm going to read the article tonight.

Welcome to Week 2 of the Mindfulness for Women Who Struggle With Weight mini-course series!
    In our weekly emails you'll find either a video or an article focusing on using mindfulness in certain aspects of your life. You'll also find a compilation of articles and videos to help you expand on the week's learnings.

This week, enjoy an article discussing Mindful Eating, one of our trademark philosophies, by Marsha Hudnall, MS, RDN, CD and President & Co-Owner here at Green Mountain at Fox Run.
    Now that you’ve started your practice of mindfulness with Shiri’s email last week, we invite you to bring this awareness of yourself and your thoughts to the table with you for the practice of Mindful Eating.

The list of things many of us have tried to manage our weight is long. Here's the short list:
    • Diets. If one diet worked, there would never be need for another.
    • Diets that say they’re not diets. Marketing at its best (worst).
    • Supplements. The search for the magic pill continues.
    • Fasting. Too much to say about that here but suffice to say it’s just not a good idea for most people when weight management is the goal.
    • Surgery. Significant health challenges often result, as well as weight regain.
    For the last 42 years at Green Mountain, we've encouraged a different approach: Mindful Eating.
    It's worth adding to the list of things you've tried. You may just find that it is the magic cure.
    Or at least part of it!

Mindful Eating Just Seems Like Magic

Mindful Eating isn't really magic. It's real. It works because you begin to pay attention to your true needs.
    • You notice how hungry you are, and when you feel like you’ve had enough – not just when a diet rule tells you you’ve had enough.
    • You think about what you really want to eat – so that you can meet your needs and feel satisfied.
    • You figure out when you’re not really hungry for food but for something else.
    Here's a really important point: You don't criticize your food or yourself, regardless of what you eat or whether you're hungry when you eat. That's key. Otherwise, you may create emotions that cause cravings or otherwise interfere.
    If you've struggled with eating and weight. you may find these points confusing. You may:
    • Frequently multi-task when you eat so that you don’t notice your appetite cues very clearly.
    • Try to follow advice that tells you when and what to eat – which often doesn't match your needs. So when you eat differently, you feel like you've failed.
    • Think some foods are off-limits – and they're often foods you love. So when you eat them, you feel like you’ve failed again.
    Mindful eating just seems like magic because it helps you get rid of misguided notions like these and begin to eat in a way that truly meets your needs.

Key Steps for Women Who Struggle with Overeating & Weight

Consider these steps for beginning to eat mindfully. They help you tune in and practice eating in a way that meets your needs.
    Eat predictably.
    That means eating when you're hungry and before you get too hungry. Weight-worried women often wait until they're very hungry before they let themselves eat and that sets them up for overeating. If you’re not always clear whether you are hungry or not, the Hunger & Satisfaction Gauge can help.

Eat well-balanced.
    That means eating a mix of protein foods, grains/starchy vegetables and fruits/vegetables throughout the day. That gives your body the nutrients it needs to be healthy, which will help you reach your healthy weight. The Green Mountain Guide to Supportive Eating gives you more information on how this works.

Eat what you want.
    This step works to break the restrict/overeat cycle of eating “healthy” until that first bite of a “fattening” food passes your lips. If the idea of doing this is too threatening, work with someone who can help you feel safe as you experiment.
    These steps are at the foundation of our approach at Green Mountain to achieving and maintaining a healthy weight. They can put you squarely on the path to eating in a way that truly supports your health, your happiness… and your healthy weight, ending the up-and-down struggle that plagues the weight-worried.

Also note that we're hosting a Free webinar on mindful eating: Mindful Eating for Women Who Struggle with Weight on September 1st, 7-8pm US EST where we'll dive deeper into the practice and try some mindful eating exercises.

So according to all of that, doing LCHF/Keto the way I've been doing that is already succeeding at mindful eating... Maybe that's why I'm frustrated? I feel like a before the beginner type of beginning, but much like a kiddo entering a special program, I'm WAY behind in some things, and way ahead in others?
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    glossbones wrote: »
    Another comment is that they don't recommend IF for weight management.

They just say "Fasting" in the text you pasted. Possibly they're using that term in terms of "denying yourself food" rather than in a way that specifically dictates when to eat and when to fast.

The other possibility is that it's a way to approach people who are becoming anorexic but who do not yet see themselves as having a problem. Fasting is so popular right now that it has occurred to me it could become an easy explanation for seriously unhealthy behavior.

Also, maybe for some whose bodies are already under a lot of physical stressors, even a little added cortisol is too much? I know that for me, I cannot force IF. Either it comes naturally in any given day, or it doesn't. Forcing it ends up with my binge eating or eating crap I don't need just to keep myself from whatever. So if it happens naturally, I roll with it and love it! If it doesn't, I pass on it for that day...
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options

Mami1976D wrote: »
    Thanks. Funny because I signed up more than once, as both personal and professional, and got nada.

I did too, I still haven't gotten anything. Can I still join? It sounded like something I really need.

I would try to sign up, Linda, but I'm not sure. If anyone wants me to forward the emails (one a week), so 2 so far, shoot me a PM with your email address, and I'll forward it to you from mine!
  • radiii
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    By successful, I mean stay awake or be able to focus. Usually, I fall asleep. Like a minute in and I'm snoring.

Hah, I wish I had this problem sometimes, I don't fall asleep easy even when I want to. Were you laying down for this? We did some stuff to learn how to find a position you can sit in to "maintain as good a posture as you're able to comfortably" for however long you plan on meditating for. I know some people have back issues that prevent this so they do it lying down. Well, that's for what I know of as basic mindfulness meditation, which is simply a focus on your breath. There are other things, like a body scan, which I always learned to do laying down to work on body awareness. And yeah, lots of people would fall asleep during that.

Or my mind is so cluttered, it feels like I'm arm-wrestling in another thought in and I just end up getting so frustrated I quit doing it. Usually I can't go ten seconds without being mentally bombarded with 50 other thoughts dying for attention.

Yeah, this is more what I was referring to. Its going to happen, and its ok. As you meditate more frequently for longer times you may find that your mind "calms down" a litlte more, or, you'll find that its easier to not latch on to your thoughts. But it never stops completely, and there are "good days" and "bad days" even after decades of this according to my instructor.

The analogy that helped me the most personally: During meditation, imagine your thoughts as clouds. You don't have any control over clouds, how many are in the sky, you can't interact with them, they're just going to pass by in their own time. So when you have some kind of thought during meditation - and you will, LOTS - acknowledge the thought, but try not to "engage" with it, just acknowledge its something that came up, and let it pass by. If you do end up getting distracted and engaging with your thoughts, once you do realize it, that's NOT a failure, that's just another thing that happens. And once you recognize what's happened, you let go of that, and go back to focusing on your breath (or on whatever your focus is intended to be).

Its not easy, despite sounding simple. There are other layers to this too. If you get frustrated, acknowledge that. That's part of the process. "Ok, I had this thought, I couldn't just let it go. And then I got frustrated at myself for not being able to let it go. Ok, right now, in this moment, that's all ok. That happened, but now I'm going to just let that pass and go back to my breathing" Even that is a SUCCESS (even though it doesn't feel great, I know). It begins to break your natural/usual pattern of dealing with your internal monologue and gets easier with time.

Even after doing this daily for a few months, there are still times where I spend half my meditation time just planning out my day, or going through a checklist of stuff to do tomorrow, because that kind of thought popped into my head and I ran with it. If I'm having an especially "bad" day, I go back to that analogy I mentioned and actually visualize my thoughts as little clouds like they were word bubbles in a comic strip, and I move my eyes from right to left and pretend like I'm watching them pass by. It gives me something to do to *really* focus on the concept of just observing my thoughts and not interacting heavily with them, and it helps. Different people figure out different things to do, though. Other people in our class didn't really find that cloud anaolgy helpful but would describe other ways they view things to help them out.

Anyway, hang in there, and stick with it :)
  • KnitOrMiss
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I have one piece of "meditation music" I only use for going to bed (like a grown up type of lullaby). For whatever reason, it helps clear my mind and put me to sleep. I never use it for other meditation and only for sleep. And I don't think it's ever taken more than 15-20 minutes for it to help me close down my mind and sleep. It isn't a specific meditation. I just do it every night. My sleep quality has improved loads. It also helps me go right back to sleep if I wake up to pee or anything in the middle of the night. Even when I'm angry and stressed and frustrated, I listen to the music and just at first sometimes, consciously, then not other times....let it all go for tomorrow.

Like I said, my "manic meditations" were all pre-keto. I still get stubborn thoughts and stuff, but I love your wording and imagery above. I'm so stealing it for later!
  • radiii
    Options
    http://themindfulnesssummit.com/

Free resources daily for the month of October with a lot of big name speakers in the Mindfulness world. It looks like there are a decent mix of topics just looking through the speaker list between theory talk or science talk and specific talk about practices/guided meditations etc.
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,059 Member
    Options
    Wow, that looks great @radiii. Thanks for posting this link. I will likely register for this, as a way to renew my vows with myself. ( I have let my practice slip.)
  • lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    i sometimes have issues with "mindfulness" when it is used as a mental "anti-stress pill". Mindful means being mindful to suffering as the general human condition. This means a clear view of your position, not a means to lull you to sleep because of "deep relaxation". And when there's a clear view of suffering, to end it by stopping to grasp at the differences between this and that. These are no other than the four noble truths of the Buddha, but exactly those don't seem to figure highly on the mindfulness agenda.
  • Sajyana
    Sajyana Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I've been meditating regularly for over 25 years.

I'm very mindful about my self talk, my thoughts, how I perceive what is happening around me and choosing my response. I've also focused on my body and my weight and still reached 155 kgs. When a food physically interacts with your body no amount of meditation will correct or reverse it. If it did, I would be effortlessly slim. There are rules of physics, chemistry and the like that exist and cannot be counteracted by meditation e.g. gravity, chemical interactions. Our world wouldn't exist without predictable scientific rules and interactions.

Discovering that carbs and sugar are what were really making my body hold fat was just as enlightening as 25 years of meditating. The detrimental affects of carbs and sugar on my body is a fact. If I could change that through meditation and mindfulness it would have happened. Meditation and mindfulness are not miracle cures, they are tools to assist you.

I love meditation and mindfulness. They make me calm and less stressful. I can be responsive rather than reactive. Life is a series of events and there are still times when I find it difficult to settle. The important thing to remember is not to judge yourself for not being perfect. Just notice what is happening, accept that and know that next time it will be different. What I find personally helpful is to write down what is going around my head. Not just type it out, physically write it on paper. It helps me get some perspective on the events and calm the thoughts in my head.

I meditate in different situation in different positions for varying lengths of time. Do what works for you. There is nothing wrong with meditating to fall asleep. I do it all the time. If you feel you would like to be more mindfully present for your meditation sit somewhere comfortable. The couch or a lounge chair work beautifully for me. You don't have to sit in lotus position. ;) If it works for you, it's fine. Focus on making meditation enjoyable.

Have a great day.
  • radiii
    edited September 2015
    Options
    lodro wrote: »
    i sometimes have issues with "mindfulness" when it is used as a mental "anti-stress pill". Mindful means being mindful to suffering as the general human condition. This means a clear view of your position, not a means to lull you to sleep because of "deep relaxation". And when there's a clear view of suffering, to end it by stopping to grasp at the differences between this and that. These are no other than the four noble truths of the Buddha, but exactly those don't seem to figure highly on the mindfulness agenda.

Mindfulness does seem like its become a buzzword, especially in the business world, but it seems like there is a pretty huge gap between something with an agenda or something pitched as a quick fix "anti-stress pill" and going all in on spirituality and Buddhism. I fall somewhere in that gap. I don't see any quick fixes here. I see a lifetime of committment to a practice having all kinds of benefits. I do get the sense that some people that start learning about mindfulness in an honest (non-buzzwordy) will see that naturally lead into a study of philosphy and may end up in a place you're talking about.

For me, my interest lies in the fact that there are a quickly growing number of studies showing real benefits to the practices that, to me, started with a curiosity about mindfulness. That curiosity has turned into a practice including meditation and yoga, and just as importantly an understanding of how much of most of our lives are spent being distracted and sleepwalking through life, allowing for countless opportunities every day to slow down and become fully aware of what's happening in the present, even if just for a minute here and there.

But in the end, for me its all about science and wanting to live a better life and be a better person. To tie that back into the forum, very similarly to the way that discovering keto has given me a better life!