Vegetable-based Ketogenic Diet saves doctor from early MS death ...Dr. Wahl's story

Options
As a member of diet doctor.com I watch the new interviews, and Dr. Terry Wahls saved HERSELF from early death from auto-immune disorder of Multiple Sclerosis and total debilitation after years of taking stronger meds and slowly getting only worse.

On DD she explains how she went from a life long vegetarian, to adding some meat, then developing a plant based LCHF diet, and got herself out of a permanent reclining wheelchair.

Because this LCD group positively supports ALL variations of LCHF/Ketogenic Nutrition I wanted to share this for those, like me, who don't consume a lot, or any, meat for a variety of reasons.
Dr. Wahl's diet SEEMS initially like WHOLE30..no eggs, cheese dairy, etc…she CLEARLY explains why she advocates high veggie intake, and how much, and now runs her clinic to treat others with all auto-immune problems.

I am linking her great TEDx Talk here, and a link to her book and web site…you can get most of the info without seeng her interview with Andreas on DD*.

http://terrywahls.com

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLjgBLwH3Wc

The Wahls Protocol: A Radical New Way to Treat All Chronic Autoimmune Conditions Using Paleo Principles

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
PS..there is a RIDICULOUS "warning" by TED Corp. because of their affiliation with bigfoodcorp? and calls her 'lecture' outside the 'norm'..WHAT? …..REAL FOOD is bad eh?

She shows a typical family with ALL their month's food visibly stacked around them…NOTHING but processed, sugary, boxed and bottled SAD….no wonder bigfoodcorp objected!

GO TO AMAZON BOOKS: The Wahls Protocol: A Radical New Way to Treat All Chronic Autoimmune Conditions Using Paleo Princip les

* DietDoctor.com also offers a FREE 30 days of viewing EVERYTHING and ANYTHING on his site before you decide if you want the $9.mo. membership….worth your time to see the movies and interviews before deciding. no pressure to sell you anything.

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Her book, The Wahl's Protocol, is very good. It's one of the main reasons that I decided to finally commit to going LCHF.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    Because this LCD group positively supports ALL variations of LCHF/Ketogenic Nutrition I wanted to share this for those, like me, who don't consume a lot, or any, meat for a variety of reasons.
    Dr. Wahl's diet SEEMS initially like WHOLE30..no eggs, cheese dairy, etc…she CLEARLY explains why she advocates high veggie intake, and how much, and now runs her clinic to treat others with all auto-immune problems.

This we do. We love our vegetarian low-carbers as much as the meativores. There's just fewer of them (mainly because it's a bit more complicated for most people), so they don't get as many threads posted. But, that doesn't make them part of the normal crowd here.

Frankly, I am considering trying no dairy for 30 days (again). I still haven't lasted a full 30 days where I didn't consume any dairy.

That said, I *just* bought some full-fat greek yogurt, some cheese (like 2 pounds), and I intend to eat it all. LOL
  • ShootingStar72
    ShootingStar72 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I watched Minding Your Mitochondria a few years ago. I think this is the same. Great video. Glad you posted it!
  • lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    MS is a strange beast if it is of the relapsing - remitting kind. So, while I'm very sympathetic to a plant based LCHF way of eating, to me it's not at all sure that this will impact MS the same way every time. As with many diseases of which the cause is really unknown, there are may nutritional and psychological approaches to treating it. I'm always a bit doubtful of the therapeutic value beyond N=1, because the various dietary regimes for treating MS are so contradictory.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    She is amazing.
  • pennell12
    pennell12 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Very similiar to Dr. Furham's diet. Just posted about it on another thread.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

To be fair, it's more akin to the Autoimmune Protocol, and, to be clear, it isn't vegetarian (and recommend liver at least once a week, and fish and bone broth regularly; on that front, it would be a fairly straightforward transition for a pescatarian), though it does feature a large amount of vegetables (as do most proper incarnations of Paleo, which is supposed to be largely vegetables by volume).

But yeah, I love the work Dr. Wahls has done, and encourage anyone with an autoimmune condition to check out her work. I also look forward to her studies getting published. I know she was looking for funding for one that compared Wahls Vegan, Wahls Paleo, and "standard care" for MS back in 2012, but I'm not sure whether it got funded (I hope it did).
  • lodro
    Options
    I'm very skeptical about dietary interventions for MS. I've seen protocols come and go. Right now, the best bet for prevention seems to be adequate levels of vitamin D.
  • Dragonwolf
    Options
    lodro wrote: »
    I'm very skeptical about dietary interventions for MS. I've seen protocols come and go. Right now, the best bet for prevention seems to be adequate levels of vitamin D.

Check out Dr. Wahls' stuff. She's been working on various studies to replicate her own results (she went from wheelchair bound to being able to do long runs/bike rides), and has been helping others do it for about a decade now. As I understand it, her book details the science behind how and why it works (basically amounts to eating foods with a ton of nutrients -- tons of vegetables, bone broth, liver, fish -- and including fats to improve absorption of said nutrients, and eliminating known hinderances of nutrient absorption, particularly for those with autoimmune conditions -- grains, legumes, dairy, and eggs).
  • GaleHawkins
    edited September 2015
    Options
    As one with an autoimmune condition we have to factor in spontaneous improvements. Did diet change X cause disease change Y? I have a friend with MS and things were going down hill fast. He decided side effects of the meds where not worth it and got off of meds and now is strong and recently bought a motor cycle and rides it everywhere and is in his 40's.

That is not to take away from the personal experiences of Dr. Wahl's and others. There is the story below about one diagnosed with MS but where it is factual or not I do not know. I did post it in the sweetener thread today.

https://rhondagessner.wordpress.com/2013/09/02/a-killer-in-your-fridge-sweet-poison-a-must-read/
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this!
  • inspirationstation
    Options
    Interesting. Thanks for sharing.
  • Dragonwolf
    Options
    As one with an autoimmune condition we have to factor in spontaneous improvements. Did diet change X cause disease change Y? I have a friend with MS and things were going down hill fast. He decided side effects of the meds where not worth it and got off of meds and now is strong and recently bought a motor cycle and rides it everywhere and is in his 40's.

That is not to take away from the personal experiences of Dr. Wahl's and others. There is the story below about one diagnosed with MS but where it is factual or not I do not know. I did post it in the sweetener thread today.

https://rhondagessner.wordpress.com/2013/09/02/a-killer-in-your-fridge-sweet-poison-a-must-read/

Considering spontaneous remission in something as well-studied as cancer is still something like 1 in 60,000 to 1 in 100,000, so always chalking up cases like Wahls' to spontaneous remission does a disservice to them and patients of progressive illnesses for whom conventional medicine has failed miserably, especially when her program has done the same for many, many others.

That said, that's also why she's been working on getting studies done, and the pilot and early studies have already showed major improvements in the subjects' quality of life, even when the study is considered uncontrolled.

http://terrywahls.com/resources/research/
    http://terrywahls.com/research-update-full-edition/
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=Wahls TL[Author]&cauthor=true&cauthor_uid=24476345
  • GaleHawkins
    Options
    I do think there is some cause behind even a spontaneous remission. Misdiagnosis is at issue in some spontaneous remissions I expect. I was told my mobility would continue to decrease but after ditching sugars and grains it is increasing. Medically speaking there just so many unknowns yet today. People like Terry Wahls can drive research. Sadly funding is harder to find when there is no clear path to profit from a research project I have read.
  • lodro
    edited September 2015
    Options

I have the opposite experience. Not until copaxone arrived did my situation improve. And to note again: relapsing remitting MS is really a separate disease from chronic progressive. Especially with MS spontaneous recovery is far from rare. That's why I'm especially careful around food based remedies that work in a small subset of patients, or in one practitioner. It may be the properties of MS itself that cause the recovery.

• lodro
    Options
    Dragonwolf wrote: »

Considering spontaneous remission in something as well-studied as cancer is still something like 1 in 60,000 to 1 in 100,000, so always chalking up cases like Wahls' to spontaneous remission does a disservice to them and patients of progressive illnesses for whom conventional medicine has failed miserably, especially when her program has done the same for many, many others.

That said, that's also why she's been working on getting studies done, and the pilot and early studies have already showed major improvements in the subjects' quality of life, even when the study is considered uncontrolled.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=Wahls TL[Author]&cauthor=true&cauthor_uid=24476345

MS is really an exception and not to be compared to cancer. Please read up on the condition.

http://www.mstrust.org.uk/atoz/types.jsp
  • Dragonwolf
    Options
    Dragonwolf wrote: »

MS is really an exception and not to be compared to cancer. Please read up on the condition.

http://www.mstrust.org.uk/atoz/types.jsp

Unfortunately, searching for "spontaneous remission" anything pulls up about 99% cancer stuff, it's the only thing I could reasonably quickly find numbers for.

That said, Wahls has studied people with Secondary Progressive MS, which, according to your link, does not normally go into remission at the level that Dr. Wahls has found in her work. Even the information on Relapsing Remitting MS in your link shows a gradual progression of disability over significant time, and the remission periods don't typically completely go back to their pre-disability levels, which is not the kind of remission Dr. Wahls experienced. It also states that RRMS patients see relapses at least once or twice a year. To my knowledge, it's been 7 years and Dr. Wahls hasn't experienced a remission as long as she maintains the protocol (sounds like a lot of us here who use keto/LCHF for various other issues).

Dr. Wahls started experiencing the first signs of MS in the 1980s, and progressively worsened until late 2007, when she started what became the Wahls protocol. She was bound to a tilt-recline wheelchair at that time. In October 2008, she could not only walk into the doctor's office without so much as a cane, but also complete an 18-mile bike tour.

You might be interested in the Reddit AMA she did, complete with several respondents who are at least as skeptical as you.
  • lodro
    Options
    I have relapsing remitting MS, and after copaxone, I've had flare ups that impacted my eye sight, for which I was treated with prednisolon. I had severe mobility problems before the copaxone, but afterwards things improved so much that I'm mobile, can bike fairly long distances, have pretty good energy. The point is, the MS "community" for want of a better word, has a lot of experience with dietary protocols: high protein, high fat, natural foods, different kinds of supplementation. And usually, MS foundations will fund studies. Problem is: almost all of these protocols and their studies have limited group size and are uncontrolled. As MS has such a large number of variables, what works for a couple of people will most likely not work for all. I do believe that there may be an effect on myelination coming from high fat/moderate protein/ low carbohydrate regimes. Way back, in the eighties, gluten and high protein varieties of wheat were the target. Never heard of that one again. And also, certain parts of the world have a very low incidence of MS, some areas very high incidence. There has always a suspicion that this may be diet related. A recent Scottish study did find such a convincing link between vitamin D deficiency and MS that some British neurologists seriously considered mandatory vitamin D supplementation.

I also bike much further than 18 miles ;)
  • Dragonwolf
    Options
    I have relapsing remitting MS, and after copaxone, I've had flare ups that impacted my eye sight, for which I was treated with prednisolon. I had severe mobility problems before the copaxone, but afterwards things improved so much that I'm mobile, can bike fairly long distances, have pretty good energy. The point is, the MS "community" for want of a better word, has a lot of experience with dietary protocols: high protein, high fat, natural foods, different kinds of supplementation. And usually, MS foundations will fund studies. Problem is: almost all of these protocols and their studies have limited group size and are uncontrolled. As MS has such a large number of variables, what works for a couple of people will most likely not work for all. I do believe that there may be an effect on myelination coming from high fat/moderate protein/ low carbohydrate regimes. Way back, in the eighties, gluten and high protein varieties of wheat were the target. Never heard of that one again. And also, certain parts of the world have a very low incidence of MS, some areas very high incidence. There has always a suspicion that this may be diet related. A recent Scottish study did find such a convincing link between vitamin D deficiency and MS that some British neurologists seriously considered mandatory vitamin D supplementation.

I can't speak for the MS community's studies, but Wahls' studies are currently small and uncontrolled due to the process studies need to go through. They're Phase I studies, demonstrating safety of the proposed interventions.
    I also bike much further than 18 miles ;)

Wheelchair bound (with trajectory toward bedridden) to 18 mile bike rides inside of 9 months?
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Interesting P'sOV... Canada (as of 2013) has the highest incidence in the world at 291 cases per 100,000. Maclean's Magazine had a scary quote: MS incidence has more than doubled in Canada in five years. The first MS atlas, published in 2008, ranked Canada fifth at 132.5 per 100,000, behind Hungary (176), Slovenia (150), Germany (149) and the U.S. (135). Why the number rose so steeply, compared with a 10 per cent rise in global MS incidence, is unclear. Canadian neurologist George Ebers, one of the first to show an environmental link to MS: “Identifying what environmental factors have changed in Canada is key,” he says. “It has nothing to do with genes. Canada has to sort out what’s happened in the past 50 years that has lead to doubling or tripling of the rate of MS.” MS has been a crisis in plain sight for decades, Ebers adds. “We’ve seen rising rates since the ’30s. We have a disease that costs a couple of million a lifetime; it’s gender-specific, with three times as many women being diagnosed. It should have been treated as a four-alarm fire.” And as those diagnosed with MS know, that fire still rages.

Taken from Maclean's magazine Apr 20/15