I never ever had any problems with my weight before until Menopause came into my life aaaaaargh !!!

Options
mysunshine28
mysunshine28 Posts: 1 Member
edited August 2015 in Social Groups
Hi, I just joined this group and i hope i can get some motivation from some of you guys! I would like to loose 5-7 kgs if possible so that i can fit into my Australian size 8 jeans beautifully with some room around the waste. I never ever had a problem with my weight before, i have always eaten healthy and kept myself fit and at my ideal weight 55kg -57kg by power walking 1.5 hours per day 6 days a week. Then my whole world changed for the worst when MENOPAUSE came into my life 6 years ago. Then all the horrible side affects including weight gain came along big time and that was hard to cope with! :neutral:

Replies

• frankiesgirlie
    frankiesgirlie Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    Most women do have to work harder after menopause than they did before menopause to maintain their weight and figure. But it is doable. I've embraced building muscle in a way I never did in my younger years and it has made all the difference for me.
  • laura7403
    laura7403 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I too had a big weight issue after menopause and I realized for me I had to eat fewer calories and more exercise to lose even an ounce, however I started a low carb diet and this seems to be shedding the weight once again, and I find that I no longer need to snack between meals for me I'm guessing that my body doesn't break down the carbs as I got older so I needed to change my eating habits and this is working! Good luck to you and your weight loss journey I hope you find what works for you
  • ChristineE63
    ChristineE63 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    It's very easy to accept that Menopause will change your body,I fight it everyday and I am winning that fight! Remember you can't keep doing the same thing and expect different results, change up your routine, 2 months ago you would see me out running and doing Pilates, now I'm lifting weights and challenging myself to do a backbend again, who knows what I will be doing to fight this battle in a year, but you can bet on one thing and that is I will be doing something!
  • carolwaitohi
    carolwaitohi Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Just joined this group, saw the heading of your discussion which made me smile, Yay Im not the only one ...Ive gained 6kg since I started menopause and today I started my challenge to get it off ! walking and eating right - fingers crossed
  • CutsandCurves
    CutsandCurves Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Just joined the group. So excited to be here. Trying to loose body fat. I lost 30 pounds of muscle mass and in turn gained fat. It's really hard to get that lean muscle back after hormones change. We just have to work harder. Which will make us stronger physically and mentally.
  • CrystalConsults
    CrystalConsults Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies, Sharing your frustrations! Just turned 54 one month ago, no weight problems before the big M. Although, I've always been good about smart eating and reasonable exercise. Then, 50 hit. Steadily gained about 15 pounds. Then, diagnosed as pre-diabetic. WHAT?!?! Nobody in my family has this! Yikes. Just can't eat carbs like before.

I've tried the 4 Hour Body, although what in the world would make me think one epic cheat day a week made sense? So, I'm trying low carb, high fat just because I think that's right for my body. Eager to see how that goes. Will post results, if anyone's interested.
  • smilesback
    smilesback Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Hi and Aloha! I gained 45 lbs in menopause and was getting fatter and fatter no matter how much I exercised. I joined a gym, took daily fitness classes and kept upping my intensity wtih cardio workouts. I did feel more energetic with muscle growth, my daily activities seemed easier like walking up and down stairs and getting up from sitting. But I still didn't lose weight! I felt confused and hungry! My clothes didn't fit and I was not happy with how I looked. I didn't understand why I wasn't losing and I started thinking my hormones played a part somehow. I read several books on women's health issues. I used to be able to manage my weight with exercise and diet as a younger adult but it just wasn't working for me any more at my age. I joined MFP and with family and friends help, I kept trying hard because I felt afraid that I would develop diabetes like my uncles if I didn't lose weight. Last year I felt so desparate I started using homeopathic diet drops, which has helped along with a restricted low calorie, low carb diet. So far, I have lost 30 lbs of fat and am so proud of myself. I am within 10 lbs of my goal and still not quitting. I am tired of dieting, but it is becoming a lifestyle change for me. That's what MFP pals tells me!
  • shoileyr
    shoileyr Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone that , After 50 , the previous tactics of cutting back and excercising don't have the same results they did before. And even an extra 5 lbs goes right to the waist and clothes don't fit And of course What to do with those batwing arms??
  • shoileyr
    shoileyr Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Fabulous results smilesbak! Way to go!
  • Notreadytoquit
    Notreadytoquit Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    It's hard for me to take this thread seriously as the poster's profile is empty and her age is 100. A quick look at a diary would reveal if eating habits are the problem. Without that information it's all hearsay.

I'm thrilled to leave behind the physical burdens of the reproductive year's and embrace new forms of exercise and a diet that supports my nutritional needs while minimizing supplements and the need for medications.

There is much that can be done to improve your immunity and help your body systems function at peak performance. I feel menopause requires a change of outlook on using food as medicine instead of personal gratification.

I hope you will look beyond the assumption that you WILL gain weight in menopause. It doesn't have to be like that.
  • seltona
    seltona Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    This is so helpful reading all your comments! I have always tried to work out and watch what I eat, but recently did not step on the scale for months!! Not a good thing, my weight was up 5-7lbs. Not bad, but at my age (59) I realize that I need to track the weight at least once a week and try harder. From what I am reading, heavier weights in training. I love doing zumba, but maybe I need to switch it up. Also going to try fewer carbs during dinner meal, etc. You guys are awesome!!
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    This is the easiest time of my life (age 52, post menopause) that I have found to lose weight. I'm not in a hurry (good thing) but it is steadily coming off, and I set my calories at 1800 because I wasn't going to fiddle around with anything less. I am 1 lb. from goal.

Menopause has its issues, but I believe they can all too easily become excuses. I think our culture tries to program us to think it's going to be one gigantic drag. I bought into that mindset for a while, but not anymore.
  • SpeedRacer13
    SpeedRacer13 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Vivmom2014..I agree. There are some parts of menopause that are true...but on the whole, it's not much different than before. The one thing I've noticed is that this is the first time in my life I have had to lose weight, but I don't think it's all menopause....it's just lifestyle.

I have had no problem losing the weight (14 pounds at last weigh in) and am 10 from goal when I stick to the program.

I agree though, that switching it up and not being so hard on yourself works.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    Vivmom2014..I agree. There are some parts of menopause that are true...but on the whole, it's not much different than before. The one thing I've noticed is that this is the first time in my life I have had to lose weight, but I don't think it's all menopause....it's just lifestyle.

I have had no problem losing the weight (14 pounds at last weigh in) and am 10 from goal when I stick to the program.

I agree though, that switching it up and not being so hard on yourself works.

Definitely. A lot of this is "mind over matter" - hot flashes are true, dry skin, hair loss, etc. - all that godawful stuff is true BUT it's also true that we can decide how to deal with it all. Being miserable and thinking life is over is one way... and the other way is to get up, get moving, set some new goals and get on with life.

• DiIDE
    DiIDE Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Hi there, I am also post menopausal and have found that doing heavy weights and building muscle burns more calories and I am able to maintain my weight. I am 166cm tall and weigh 57kg. I also do cardio at my gym, but the weights were the secret weapon.f
  • Sherryfood95
    Sherryfood95 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Menopause is killing me figure wise. My arms and shoulders keep getting thinner and weaker and the gut is steadily growing. I exercise regularly and intensely both cardio and strength, so can't do more there. The hormone loss is an undeniable factor. Maybe I will revisit low carb higher fat, but that makes me nervous from a cholesterol standpoint.
  • Micmaust
    Micmaust Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Like most of you, menopause has had some hard parts for me. I am 57 and 5"2', 130 lb. Hot flashes are the worst, with vaginal dryness (thank God for coconut oil) and sagging skin close behind. The weight gain issue is more a result of muscle mass loss. I weigh about the same as I always have, but I feel less firm.
    Yoga is my preferred form of exercise. I want to do weights but it is hard to get to the gym. Not for lack of time, but lack of will I suppose, I am retired and have a really bad back with chronic pain.
    I like what DilDE said about weights being the secret weapon.
    Controlling portion size has been helpful. I have a small digital scale to weigh some things, especially meat.
  • Sherryfood95
    Sherryfood95 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Anyone experiencing more injuries or tendonitis since menopause? Not sure if it's a coincidence or connection but this year is terrible and the recovery rests hurt weightloss too.
  • mkozmik
    mkozmik Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Anyone experiencing more injuries or tendonitis since menopause? Not sure if it's a coincidence or connection but this year is terrible and the recovery rests hurt weightloss too.

I'm peri-meno & I've found my recovery time is longer. I have also noticed an uptick in muscle fatigue & muscle injury (pulled/strained). The fatigue is getting better somewhat though...but I still have my days.

Don't be afraid of rest & recovery days. I've found they really do make a difference. On those days I will take the dog on a longer walk (5K+) so I'm still moving with purpose, but not doing a hard workout. I've heard others talk about practicing Yoga on their R&R days, saying the stretch & meditative pace is very helpful.

Foodwise I focus on foods to build & repair my muscles. Hang in there.
  • lagoscarrie
    lagoscarrie Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I'm right in the midst of menopause and I think my biggest problem is that I just cannot handle wine the way I used to! Wine seems to both make my hot flashes worse and give me a voracious appetite! I just got married in March and it also doesn't help that my new husband is an amazing cook. I'm probably as fit as I've ever been in my life, so now the goal is just to knock off about 10 pounds. Very happy to have found this board of like-minded ladies! Feel free to friend me if you like.
    Cheers!