Fake Sweeteners - seriously

Options

Replies

• jillmcafee
    jillmcafee Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I tolerate aspartame fairly well, but sucralose gives me migraines. I have to check labels now, since a lot of products are switching to sucralose as a sweetener. Sucralose is chlorinated sugar (as in swimming pool chorine - ick!), which probably explains why it affects me that way!

Sugar alcohols cause ... GI distress ... to both me and my husband, so we have banned them in our home - LOL!
  • pootle1972
    pootle1972 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Ewwww.......im pouring away my sugar free chlorine drink now....
  • totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    I wish I could kick my diet coke with aspartame... seems harder to do without than alcohol (decided I had to go alcohol free again to get back to losing weight...it had definitely started to creep back to an every day event).
  • Sajyana
    Sajyana Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    If love to get to the place where I could drink coffee black (mainly cause I'm impressed by it, lol) but I'm no where close yet! And now that I'm LCHF I'm loving heavy cream. I do think Ima try to halve my sweet dosage again tho.

I did this. I used to drink my coffee half coffee and half hot milk with 2 very heaped teaspoons of sugar. I replaced the sugar with monk fruit sweetener, gradually reducing the amount and replaced the milk with double cream.

I can now drink coffee straight and black although I prefer it with cream. I no longer use any sweetener at all.

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    @Sajyana I followed the same path on coffee with heavy sugar and milk. I got down to black OK but when I went LCHF I started using cream and now it is 36% butter fat Heavy Whipping Cream. The fake sugars had started to cause belly discomfort unlike real carbs.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    This conversation makes me really wish I liked coffee.... I haven't found a way to tolerate tea this way yet.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    I will only comment that Aspartame ( which Coke is now removing totally, as sales are dropping, as with pepsi..people don't want it in their drinks) is a substance that was POORLY tested, and yet the FDA inner circle went ahead and approved it..much like the untested grain experiment on the Amerina people by Ancel Keyes.

In any reading you will find more than 20,000 complaints filed on Aspartame, then the FDA decided to hide the issue by lumping the complaints inside a different group name..so they disappear.

Dr. Mercola is totally against it..but Dr.bernstein ( diabetes expert) is FOR it… and against Truvia as it spikes his BG

I am not thrilled to consume it..if it gets really hot, then cools I am not certain it is the same chemistry….soldiers in the M.E. said the soda cans were boiling in heat…and tasted weird after….

I do have it on rare occasion….Dr. Fung believes any AS is too tempting and delivers insulin kicks… so it is difficult to lower our need for a sweet taste with something really 'safe'

I switched to liquid Stevia to avoid maltodextrose, then the KAL brand started ADDING maltodextrose to that too!!

I stay away from Aspartame (aka Nutrasweet aka Equal) by choice because it is a neurotoxin. It is a triple molecule composed of aspartic acid, phenylalynine and methanol (wood alcohol). These three substances are all neurotoxins. There is a section on the following link about 3/4ths of the way down which focuses on Aspartame so if you check out the following link just search for the terms "aspartame" to find the section:

http://www.thedoctorwithin.com/sugar/sugar-the-sweet-thief-of-life/

Methanol is a by-product of Aspartame after Aspartame breaks down in the small intestine which is then changed into formaldehyde in the body. I have no desire to pickle myself prematurely. That's what undertakers are for. Researchers also discovered that digestion is not even necessary to break down aspartame into these three toxins: when diet soda sweetened with Aspartame sits in a room where the temperate goes above 86 degrees Fahrenheit, formaldehyde is produced.

I use liquid sucralose (aka Spelnda) among others like Just Like Sugar, Swerve, stevia, monk fruit, etc. as sweeteners because although I've done a lot of research on Splenda, I haven't found anything conclusive on it like I have on aspartame. I know there are those out there who can't or won't use artificial sweeteners due to health issues or personal choices. Unfortunately, I do not have a choice except to use artificial sweeteners. :/
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    @ladipoet
    • The idea that aspartame causes "methanol toxicity" is based on the fact that when digested, aspartame does release a tiny amount of methanol. It's less than the amount you get from eating a piece of most any fruit. Tomato juice, for example, gives you four times the methanol of a can of diet soda. It's a common, naturally occuring environmental compound that is found in many foods. Nancy Markle, one of the most vocal aspartame conspiracy theorists, charges that the autoimmune disease lupus is actually misdiagnosed methanol toxicity caused by drinking 3-4 cans of diet soft drinks per day. If she's right, everyone who drinks a glass of tomato juice each day (or the equivalent in other fruits) is gravely ill with lupus. Time Magazine once devoted an entire article to debunking Nancy Markle's baseless claims about aspartame.

• Much has been made of the claim that aspartame turns into formaldehyde in your system. This is true, because formaldehyde is a natural byproduct of digestion of methanol, and it happens whenever you eat almost anything. Formaldehyde is carcinogenic and is considered very dangerous in cases of occupational exposure, for example, when you get a dosage many orders of magnitude greater than the trace amounts produced during natural digestion. Again, aspartame does this in much smaller amounts than many common foods, so this has been a normal, healthy component of digestion for as long as humans have been eating fruits and vegetables.
    http://skeptoid.com/episodes/4127
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Coconut cream in coffee or chai tea adds a touch of sweetness so i will sometimes skip my stevia drop.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,472 Member
    Options
    I will only comment that Aspartame ( which Coke is now removing totally, as sales are dropping, as with pepsi..people don't want it in their drinks) is a substance that was POORLY tested, and yet the FDA inner circle went ahead and approved it..much like the untested grain experiment on the Amerina people by Ancel Keyes.

In any reading you will find more than 20,000 complaints filed on Aspartame, then the FDA decided to hide the issue by lumping the complaints inside a different group name..so they disappear.

Dr. Mercola is totally against it..but Dr.bernstein ( diabetes expert) is FOR it… and against Truvia as it spikes his BG

I am not thrilled to consume it..if it gets really hot, then cools I am not certain it is the same chemistry….soldiers in the M.E. said the soda cans were boiling in heat…and tasted weird after….

I do have it on rare occasion….Dr. Fung believes any AS is too tempting and delivers insulin kicks… so it is difficult to lower our need for a sweet taste with something really 'safe'

I switched to liquid Stevia to avoid maltodextrose, then the KAL brand started ADDING maltodextrose to that too!!

I use the Sweet Leaf liquid Stevia. A small bottle lasts me a looong time, since I use about 3 drops in an 8oz cup of coffee, ditto for any teas I might consume. NO added nothing that I am aware of.
  • KenSmith108
    KenSmith108 Posts: 1,966 Member
    Options
    Please don't laugh. How do you measure drops? Even when I give the slightest squeeze on the
    liquid stevia bottle it streams out, usually ruining my drink. The only work around I found so far is to make
    really big drinks, I don't drink coffee by the quart. :-(
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Please don't laugh. How do you measure drops? Even when I give the slightest squeeze on the
    liquid stevia bottle it streams out, usually ruining my drink. The only work around I found so far is to make

The sweet leaf and some others have an eye dropper type of dispenser. I also have the kind you're talking about too. Mostly measure those by how long you squeeze.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,472 Member
    Options

The sweet leaf and some others have an eye dropper type of dispenser. I also have the kind you're talking about too. Mostly measure those by how long you squeeze.

This... when I give my dropper a gentle squeeze, I get... drops. If I squeeze it full out, I get a mini-stream.

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Here's an example.

s3a0i1ooj0lq.jpg
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options

I find if I squeeze out a few drops before removing the dropper from the bottle, it then drips at a more controlled rate. I rub the sides of the dropper off on the edge of the bottle. It IS runny stuff.
  • KenSmith108
    KenSmith108 Posts: 1,966 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I just went to Walmart. I now have a Rube Goldburg stevia dispenser.
    I bought a Scope sample size bottle & an eye dropper set.
    My sweetie washed the bottle & I squeezed the liquid into it.
    The eyedropper reaches all the way to the bottom of the bottle. :smile:
    My world just became a better place. :lol:
    Thanks again.
  • rumrunner91
    rumrunner91 Posts: 7 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    NYTimes just posted an article on this subject the other day: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/28/upshot/the-evidence-supports-artificial-sweeteners-over-sugar.html?action=click&pgtype=Homepage&region=CColumn&module=MostEmailed&version=Full&src=me&WT.nav=MostEmailed&abt=0002&abg=1&_r=0

(In case the link doesn't work, the title is "The Evidence Supports Artificial Sweeteners Over Sugar" and it's by Aaron Carroll.)

If your friend is anything like my mother, this article probably won't convince her but it may help your peace of mind :smile:

EDIT: The NYTimes posted this article on this subject several months ago but apparently is still in the "just the other day" section of my brain :confused:
  • greenautumn17
    greenautumn17 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I just went to Walmart. I now have a Rube Goldburg stevia dispenser.
    I bought a Scope sample size bottle & an eye dropper set.
    My sweetie washed the bottle & I squeezed the liquid into it.
    The eyedropper reaches all the way to the bottom of the bottle. :smile:
    My world just became a better place. :lol:
    Thanks again.

That sounds like a great idea!
  • Sajyana
    Sajyana Posts: 518 Member
    Options

You should be able to buy an eye dropper that you could use. I have bought little brown coloured glass bottles with eye droppers in the past. In Australia, I've found them at Chemist shops that dispense medications. Another source might be a shop that sells essential oils or similar.
  • SkinnyKerinny
    SkinnyKerinny Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Just for the record, phenylalynine is not a neurotoxin-- it's an essential amino acid. I'm not saying I advocate isolating aminos and then ingesting them separate from the source food. But it is an amino acid.