Diabetes information source material

Options
CrisEBTrue
CrisEBTrue Posts: 456 Member
edited September 2015 in Social Groups
I am always looking around for diabetic friendly recipes, ideas, suggestions, information.

I came across this yesterday and found it very annoying.
It's an article on the "Cooking Light" site, supposedly about nutrition for diabetics.

Can you spot the thing that made my hair stand up?

http://www.cookinglight.com/eating-smart/nutrition-101/carbohydrates-diabetes

Ok, I'll spare you the anguish of figuring it out.
It's the inclusion of legumes (lentils, beans) in the list of "bad" foods.

You all know enough to see that both lists are very simplistic.

So... I thought I'd share this, if nothing more than a reminder to myself to be careful about where I glean my nutrition information.

I did have a subscription to this magazine at one time and ditched it, because too many of "healthy" recipes were not diabetic-friendly. B)

This kind of article has much better information;

https://www.cardiosmart.org/News-and-Events/2012/10/Legumes-improve-blood-sugar-control-and-reduce-cardiovascular-risk-in-diabetics

*end of rant*

Replies

• KenSmith108
    KenSmith108 Posts: 1,966 Member
    Options
    I'm having a little trouble with the idea of adding carbs (any carbs) to my diet to lower blood sugar.
    When I cut the carbs out I get much better blood glucose control, med reduction & weight loss.
    But that's just me, I guess. YMMV

• CrisEBTrue
    Options
    I'm having a little trouble with the idea of adding carbs (any carbs) to my diet to lower blood sugar.
    When I cut the carbs out I get much better blood glucose control, med reduction & weight loss.
    But that's just me, I guess. YMMV

I try to not think of legumes simply as "carbs".
    It's an overall nutrition thing. Legumes, when combined with brown rice, constitute a complete protein.
    So, that's "carbs", but they are low on the glycemic index, which is a Good Thing. And no animal fat(s).
    I was (mostly) a vegetarian for a few years and though we eat meat, I try to include a couple of vegetarian meals week in my menus.

The thing is: everybody has to do what works best for themselves.... as I was reminded at the Dr. office.
    It's kinda trial and error---and over time, *darn* >:) your body is going to change, and something that worked well at one time, may not work as you age. (I'm 65)

I have days where I feel guilty about everything I eat; I feel like food is the enemy, even when it's all good stuff.
    But I was told to stop doing that. LOL

o:)

• KenSmith108
    edited September 2015
    Options
    If I were to add 2 starch carbs to a meal my bg# would go thru the roof.
    "Complete protein" with a boat load of carbs. I understand the concept,
    but it's not for me. I eat meat, not to much, but that's another story.
    I'm almost 62, I still have to watch them pesky carbs. I don't think I'll ever age out of that.
    It took me 32 years to finally figure out that its the amount of "bad" & "good" carbs that is
    causing my problems. I'm far from a vegetarian but I do love my non starchy veggies,
    they go great with butter. But I limit them also. Too much of anything isn't good for me.
    If my food were my enemy I could safely say " I love my enemy" ;)
  • gaelicstorm26
    gaelicstorm26 Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I really don't like seeing lists of what we "can't have". I think that is so outdated and an inappropriate one-size-fits-all approach.

I think we should be eating to our meters. Some people can happily combine beans and brown rice and some of us can't. Personally, I'm one who can combine rice and legumes as long as I'm still controlling the portion. I can't just fill up a huge dinner plate and have at it, but it works well as a dish paired with non-starchy veggies for me (and cheese...yum!).

I find that I'm much happier experimenting with food and testing after two hours than thinking "I can't have that". It's one big happy experiment over here!
  • KenSmith108
    Options
    I really don't like seeing lists of what we "can't have". I think that is so outdated and an inappropriate one-size-fits-all approach.

I think we should be eating to our meters. Some people can happily combine beans and brown rice and some of us can't. Personally, I'm one who can combine rice and legumes as long as I'm still controlling the portion. I can't just fill up a huge dinner plate and have at it, but it works well as a dish paired with non-starchy veggies for me (and cheese...yum!).

I find that I'm much happier experimenting with food and testing after two hours than thinking "I can't have that". It's one big happy experiment over here!

EXPERIMENT oh yes! I've never tried so many new foods in my life.
    I look at the lists as I "shouldn't have" or I "might have" in general they save me time.
    My carb reaction is pretty much in line with most of the lists.
    There is no question that all new foods should be eaten to my meter.
    That's why the lists are only guidelines to me.
    Portion control just goes without saying.

• zcb94
    zcb94 Posts: 3,679 Member
    Options
    CrisEBTrue wrote: »
    I have days where I feel guilty about everything I eat; I feel like food is the enemy, even when it's all good stuff.
    I hear you! That was me at the start of this at times messy journey
    ^Oh, this•infinity!

• titinil
    titinil Posts: 142 Member
    Options

I agree. We shouldn't take a "cookie cutter" approach and we need to test to find what works for us individually.

Today I had a cup of my bean, corn and tomato salad, made with three types of beans (cannellini, black and red kidney), kernel corn, diced tomatoes and balsamic vinaigrette, along with some octopus for added protein. My BG before I ate was 115, and 2 hours postprandial was 105.

If I had just accepted the notion that legumes were a bad choice without testing for myself, I would be missing out on a tasty source of fiber, protein, iron and other necessary nutrients.

• KenSmith108
    Options
    titinil wrote: »

I agree. We shouldn't take a "cookie cutter" approach and we need to test to find what works for us individually.

Today I had a cup of my bean, corn and tomato salad, made with three types of beans (cannellini, black and red kidney), kernel corn, diced tomatoes and balsamic vinaigrette, along with some octopus for added protein. My BG before I ate was 115, and 2 hours postprandial was 105.

If I had just accepted the notion that legumes were a bad choice without testing for myself, I would be missing out on a tasty source of fiber, protein, iron and other necessary nutrients.

I'm green eyed jealous over that soup! The corn & kidney beans by meter kills it for me. :-(

I've never had octopus but I'd give it a try.
  • CrisEBTrue
    Options
    zcb94 wrote: »
    CrisEBTrue wrote: »
    I hear you! That was me at the start of this at times messy journey
    ^Oh, this•infinity!

I'm grateful for this group. Thanks for all your comments, insights and suggestions.

The thing is, nobody can understand what it's like to be so constantly vigilant in this fight, except other people who are facing the same challenges. My husband doesn't get it. Doctors don't get it; they think oh, you just
    eliminate this and that from your diet, exercise, lose weight and control your portions (I get that a lot )blah blah blah. Simple, huh!?? :/

It's an emotional thing to be faced with something that (if you're type2) started out seeming easy but hasn't gone away and for some of us, will always be there.

Ah well, tomorrow is another day.

<3

• KenSmith108
    Options
    CrisEBTrue
    Please don't overlook my BIGGEST dislike: My fingertips hurt from all the bg tests.
    They look like someone went wild with a tattoo machine. :-(
  • pennell12
    pennell12 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    CrisEBTrue
    Please don't overlook my BIGGEST dislike: My fingertips hurt from all the bg tests.

mine,too :)

• zcb94
    Options
    CrisEBTrue
    That was also true for me at first. Eventually, the tiny dots and soreness will dissipate. In the meantime, why not rotate sites (with your doctor's permission, of course)? I was told that it was okay to use both sides of my fingertips, and randomly alternate (left pinky before breakfast, right pinky before dinner, right ring finger before breakfast tomorrow, etc., until all used. By that time, my left pinky has healed and can be used later. I've also heard of Alternate Site Testing, but am afraid of that because, although my mom/diabetes educator says that forearm tests are painless, they require that I ask my doctor's permission to buy a special cap, as do palm tests, which is all that my meter allows. Plus, a CNA who took care of me while I was sick said that palm testing HURTS! No thanks. Fortunately, that dies out later.
  • KenSmith108
    Options
    CrisEBTrue
    That was also true for me at first. Eventually, the tiny dots and soreness will dissipate. In the meantime, why not rotate sites (with your doctor's permission, of course)? I was told that it was okay to use both sides of my fingertips, and randomly alternate (left pinky before breakfast, right pinky before dinner, right ring finger before breakfast tomorrow, etc., until all used. By that time, my left pinky has healed and can be used later. I've also heard of Alternate Site Testing, but am afraid of that because, although my mom/diabetes educator says that forearm tests are painless, they require that I ask my doctor's permission to buy a special cap, as do palm tests, which is all that my meter allows. Plus, a CNA who took care of me while I was sick said that palm testing HURTS! No thanks. Fortunately, that dies out later.

Thanks, at this point I'd have to grow more fingers.
    I test on them everywhere sides, tip & even the pads.
    32 years ago they said I'd get used to it.
    THEY LIED!!!

• zcb94
    Options
    CrisEBTrue

Thanks, at this point I'd have to grow more fingers.
    I test on them everywhere sides, tip & even the pads.
    32 years ago they said I'd get used to it.
    THEY LIED!!!
    Hm. I'm used to it, after diagnosis late last year. YMMV, of course.
  • CrisEBTrue
    Options
    CrisEBTrue

I feel your pain--literally. :'(

I've been a seamstress/ cross-stitcher/ hand-sewist / crafter for a hundred years, and the fingers on my left hand have been stabbed and poked so many times with a sewing needle that my fingersticks don't show. Once, eons ago, I sewed through the fat side of my thumb with the sewing machine. That was interesting, but I survived.
    And I heal quickly.

• KenSmith108
    Options
    I cut the corner of my finger off. Needless to say I don't test there. :D
  • zcb94
    Options
    Owie! Accidentally, I assume?
  • CrisEBTrue
    Options

AAAAACK! *owie owie owie* :*

• KenSmith108
    Options
    When I got back from the ER I had to clean up all the blood. :-(
  • CrisEBTrue
    edited September 2015
    Options
    When I got back from the ER I had to clean up all the blood. :-(

My mom will be 94 next month. About 3 years ago she slipped and fell going up the steps from the garage into her house. Fell backwards and hit her head HARD; fortunately she was with a friend. My sister said that the whole time she was being stitched up (16 stitches), and when she finally got back to the house, she was obsessed about cleaning up the blood on the floor. Fortunately my sister got to it first or she'd have been out there with a mop, first thing.

She's still going strong.

Stay away from sharp objects, ok!? B)