Binge!

Options
last night for the first time in 2 months I had a carb fest! Now I am regretting it

Replies

• spacetastic
    spacetastic Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    So I clearly don't know how to write on this as my post was cut in half? I am looking for a kick start to get me back on track? Any ideas welcome. Thanks
  • bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    After a binge, I'm often unusually hungry for quite some time thereafter. I've found that for me, fasting helps alleviate some of the cravings I get after a carb fest. The important thing is that you do whatever you need to do to get back on track. It can be difficult. It can be discouraging. In the long run, it's just a blip on the radar and in a few months you'll hardly remember it even happened.
  • totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Agree with @bluefish86 that fasting is the quickest way, but you many not feel great if you are hungry as a result of carbs anyway. My advice is to remember when you started this WOE and could eat what you wanted so long as it was low carb - go and have a load of your favourite fatty foods eg bacon and eggs, keep carbs super low for the next few days and you'll probably lose any water weight from the carb binge quickly.
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    After a binge, I do what my dietitian calls a "hard reset." For one day, I cut every carb I can. Remember, it's a one-day blip. Get back on track today and you'll be fine.

I normally don't tell people to look at my diary. It's open, but I'm on some severe doctor-supervised restrictions. However, September 2 was a carb cycle (although not the worst one the dietitian has had me do) and September 3 was the hard reset. The types of food might help, but obviously not the portions.
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Do you do any exercise? That's how I got hooked on running. I'd have too many carbs and go for a run to burn them off. Then I got into the habit. :)
  • DianaElena76
    DianaElena76 Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    I find getting back to basics helps, which is very similar to what @totaloblivia and @2Poufs suggested. I think about what I ate when I wasn't sure what I should eat: bacon and eggs for breakfast, meat and a veggie for lunch (maybe salad, or tuna with avocado), and meat and a veggie for dinner... except now I tend to limit those veggies more to help me reduce my carbs further. Or you could do like I did and do an egg fast, although it's not very pleasant sometimes. :)
  • KittensMaster
    KittensMaster Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    wabmester wrote: »
    Do you do any exercise? That's how I got hooked on running. I'd have too many carbs and go for a run to burn them off. Then I got into the habit. :)

This is the key

Burn it off and you are all good!!

Maybe in better cardio shape too!
  • inspirationstation
    Options
    I am currently paying the price for my "off the wagon" adventure. Push fluids, drink broth, limit carbs, and eat no carb food until you are satisfied...that helps stave the desire to eat more carbs.

Today, I feel better. Hallelujah!
  • petunia773
    petunia773 Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I've fallen off the wagon this week myself and I'm afraid to step on the scale. It all started on Monday with my oldest son's birthday supper for pizza and dairy queen ice cream cake and beer. Tuesday night was another birthday supper for him that included more beer and more ice cream. Last night was garlic bread and deep dish pizza with the boyfriend. This morning was an egg roll from the gas station. UGH!!! I'm back on track now though. I hope I didn't do too much damage.
  • greenautumn17
    greenautumn17 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    After a binge (which haven't been too serious lately, thank goodness) I fast for at least 18 hours, more often 24-36. It might be a purge, but it might also be a purgatory for myself - a mini punishment for being so weak.
  • CJ0821
    CJ0821 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Might be a silly question.. this fasting.. is nothing but water for the time frame selected?
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    CJ0821 wrote: »
    Might be a silly question.. this fasting.. is nothing but water for the time frame selected?

For me, water, tea, coffee on occasion. It's mostly water and tea.
  • spacetastic
    Options
    Thanks so much for all your tips and non judgemental feedback. Not had a single carb all day!
  • CJ0821
    Options
    2Poufs wrote: »
    CJ0821 wrote: »

For me, water, tea, coffee on occasion. It's mostly water and tea.

Ok awesome! Thank you!
  • DianaElena76
    DianaElena76 Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    A lot of people also do other types of "fasts," which are carb-free (or close to it) but not calorie-free (and therefore technically a bit of a stretch of the word "fast"). For example, I do intermittent fasting with BPC (Bulletproof coffee = coffee + coconut oil or MCT oil + butter). I have also done a few days of "egg fasting," which is a specific ratio of eggs to fats (coconut oil or butter) plus a specified limit on cheese if you want it. There are other types of fasts, but these are the only two I can speak to, as they are the only two I've researched and done. I haven't had the gall to do a water-only fast, at least formally, but I do intend to try it out in the future. FYI, I did an egg fast last week for a few days to do a reset from a couple weeks of carb creep, and it worked really well without me actually going hungry. I ate at or above my calorie goals each day but lost 3.6 pounds net over the course of the week (I think it was 5.8 lost minus 2.2 regained or something like that).
  • Thaeda
    Thaeda Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    My post-binge strategy is to allow myself all of the low carb, high fat food I can eat for the next day or so-- it reminds me of how I don't have to be hungry on this WOE and how good I can feel when I eat what my body likes. When I was dieting, I used to fast as "punishment" for my binge-- I do not see that as serving much of a purpose except to make me feel like crap, so I no longer do this. Hope you are able to get on track and stay there! :)
  • CJ0821
    Options
    Mami1976D wrote: »
    A lot of people also do other types of "fasts," which are carb-free (or close to it) but not calorie-free (and therefore technically a bit of a stretch of the word "fast"). For example, I do intermittent fasting with BPC (Bulletproof coffee = coffee + coconut oil or MCT oil + butter). I have also done a few days of "egg fasting," which is a specific ratio of eggs to fats (coconut oil or butter) plus a specified limit on cheese if you want it. There are other types of fasts, but these are the only two I can speak to, as they are the only two I've researched and done. I haven't had the gall to do a water-only fast, at least formally, but I do intend to try it out in the future. FYI, I did an egg fast last week for a few days to do a reset from a couple weeks of carb creep, and it worked really well without me actually going hungry. I ate at or above my calorie goals each day but lost 3.6 pounds net over the course of the week (I think it was 5.8 lost minus 2.2 regained or something like that).

I was reading about egg fasts after seeing the post with it on there.... this is very interesting! Thanks so much for the info!
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    It was last Thanksgiving. I just went back to LCHF eating. Six days later the six pound gain was gone. After three days I started to feel better.

• Sajyana
    Sajyana Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    It was one night, right? Don't panic. Just get back on track and keep going.
  • spacetastic
    Options
    Yep! Thanks xSajana