Weigh In

Options
How do I stop myself from weighing myself? Everyday I step on that thing. I need to stop. Aside from eating my own scale, I don't know how to stop this.. I work in the medical field... SCALES EVERYWHERE! Holy hell :(

Replies

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    How do I stop myself from weighing myself? Everyday I step on that thing. I need to stop. Aside from eating my own scale, I don't know how to stop this.. I work in the medical field... SCALES EVERYWHERE! Holy hell :(

That's a tough one. I was always a daily weigher myself but have gone to once a week in the KISS challenge. I am finding it surprisingly tempting to cheat but I'm able to forgo it fairly simply since I'm not getting tighter clothes or anything. At times I can be too consumed with the numbers but overall I put more importance on other factors.

If I was having a much harder time staying off the scale, I would put it away out of sight. Obviously, you can't do that at work. It seems that you may have to find a way to challenge yourself to just say no to weighing. lol

What if you recorded a tally for every time you resist the desire to weigh. There are a bunch of tally counting phone apps or just use paper or whatever is convenient for you. If you do break down and weigh, record a separate tally for that.
    Keep a record from week to week so that you can challenge yourself to beat your own record. And hopefully you will see the tallies going down in a steady pattern as the desire to weight so often decreases. I think they say it takes like 21 days to break or create a new habit. Make it a 3 week experiment.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Tell yourself you are only allow to weight first thing in the morning after using the bathroom, fully naked. Since you can't be naked at the office....

Then, at home, hide your scale or have someone hide it from you?

@Sunny_Bunny_ has other great suggestions above. For me, it was far easier to avoid the scale than it was to remember to get on it daily. But I don't work around them all day. I think for me, knowing that my BEST WEIGHT would always be first thing and that clothes weigh a lot sometimes, and that hydration and such changes all day, would make me want to only weigh at the best case scenario time....
  • fastforlife1
    fastforlife1 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with weighing yourself everyday (every morning after I wake up)? I bought a new scale last Spring, and it's been interesting to see what causes weight gain (lifting weights 1 or 2 #s) and weight loss (low calories lol). I also am so excited when I reach a new number that I haven't been at for awhile even though I know it might go up again before it comes back down. Weighing everyday keeps me focused on my goals.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,956 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    What's wrong with weighing yourself everyday (every morning after I wake up)? I bought a new scale last Spring, and it's been interesting to see what causes weight gain (lifting weights 1 or 2 #s) and weight loss (low calories lol). I also am so excited when I reach a new number that I haven't been at for awhile even though I know it might go up again before it comes back down. Weighing everyday keeps me focused on my goals.

The problem is for those that become obsessed with that number to the point that their mood, their entire day, is contingent on what they consider a positive output of that device. If the number stays the same or goes up due to some arbitrary water fluctuation in the body, their outlook on life tanks. Mood is bad, life is bad. Some people allow themselves to become depressed over that dumb number.

So if you can weigh daily, and remain happy and positive despite the random bullcrap it can sometimes give you, then by all means, weigh daily (once the same time everyday).

If a person can't do that without getting bent out of shape about it, or go overboard and weigh multiple times a day (which is pointless), and are crushed when the weight isn't constantly going down like they want, that's a problem. And they need to stop hurting themselves.

The output of that machine is but one piece of a puzzle. You can't see your picture clearly if you have one single piece. And if you have trouble reminding yourself of that, and base your life on whatever that one piece looks like one day to the next, that's just madness.

Measure yourself in inches or cm, measure how healthy you feel, measure your increasing fitness, look at improvements in bloodwork, see how your clothes fit. All of those are the other pieces you need to have a real picture.

• chaoticdreams
    chaoticdreams Posts: 447 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I weigh every morning, butt naked, after I pee, and before I shower. Mon - Fri I get up super early, Sat- Sun I sleep in. Saturday's weight is the weight I record or take seriously. The rest of them just help me gauge water retention and such. At this point it's habit, but I know I'm going to weigh more the rest of the week so I don't pay it any mind. As long as those number continually go down, I'm fine with it. :)
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself most mornings. What I don't do is judge the number based on the previous day, worry if I don't weigh or weigh at a different time of day, or log the weight. The only weight I pay attention to is the Tuesday early AM weight (my weekly progress) and my weight on the 19th of each month (the one my doctor wants logged). Beyond that, it's a number. My metrics for weight loss and health are much more than just that number.
  • KenSmith108
    KenSmith108 Posts: 1,966 Member
    Options
    If you had the antique piece of junk scale I have, you wouldn't want to get on it either. ;)
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    You just have to take control and set your own rules about when and where you will weigh, and that is it. No other weighing is allowed.

I assume that the compulsion is messing with your head which is why you want to stop. Realize that the number on the scale is not the be-all and end-all of measuring progress (especially since it has to vary all over the place weighing at different times of the day, with different clothing, on different scales).
  • DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    I weigh every morning, butt naked, after I pee, and before I shower. Mon - Fri I get up super early, Sat- Sun I sleep in. Saturday's weight is the weight I record or take seriously. The rest of them just help me gauge water retention and such. At this point it's habit, but I know I'm going to weigh more the rest of the week so I don't pay it any mind. As long as those number continually go down, I'm fine with it. :)

I do exactly this, I check every morning when I get up but only record Saturday morning. It does piss me off though when I'm down a couple of hundred grams every morning and then Saturday morning I'm back up a KG for no discernible reason.
  • ambergem1969
    ambergem1969 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I weigh every morning too but I only record the losses - so sometimes its more than a week before I can record again.

One recommendation I read is to weigh weekly when trying to lose weight, and weigh daily during maintenance. That way you don't get discouraged by gains during the loss period, but when maintaining you can adjust your eating if you notice an upward trend.

Personally I'm too compulsive to wait a whole week...
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    Weekly does not deal with fluctuations, the day you weigh may be 5 over the day before and the day after.

I weigh every weekday first thing before eating/drinking, I don't usually do the weekend as I eat more and will always be much higher and that's gone by Monday.
  • Sajyana
    Sajyana Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I weigh each morning after waking up. I don't record any gains unless they stick for a few days. I find that my weight doesn't fluctuate as much when low carb.
  • CoffeeNBooze
    CoffeeNBooze Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    I used to do it daily and my weight stayed pretty consistent. Hadn't been doing it lately because I get up extremely early and feel like I can't be bothered. But I'm going to go back to weighing daily to see the trend; it helps me stay accountable with the choices I make throughout the day. No real surprises if I'm accountable and the scale helps me do just that.
  • KittensMaster
    KittensMaster Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Each morning and note if it is the day after a hard work out. Sore muscles are holding water!
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    I weigh 3 times a day. Yes I realise that sounds crazy. Morning after peeing, lunchtime, then before I hit the sack at night.
  • radiii
    radiii Posts: 422 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    What's wrong with weighing yourself everyday (every morning after I wake up)?

Some folks find it adds extra stress and hurts their resolve and its better for them to ignore the scale.

I'm on the "weigh every day" side myself. If I weigh every day I see the fluctations and become comfortable with them and they cease to bother me. If I only weigh once a week, I have no idea if my weight on weigh-in day is an anomoly or not. More data is better for me.

Do what works best for you, or try it both ways for a few weeks and see what feels better!

• Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    I used to use a trend grapher which removed the variances and made a nice graph that better shows the real weight loss - but I've lost the URL mad the only ones I can find need need a scale that transmits data - I need to enter manually.
  • fatchimom
    fatchimom Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I too am a daily weigher. First thing in the morning. I don't think the number affects my mood-I guess I'm just one of the "scale obsessed".
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Bob314159 wrote: »
    I used to use a trend grapher which removed the variances and made a nice graph that better shows the real weight loss - but I've lost the URL mad the only ones I can find need need a scale that transmits data - I need to enter manually.

There are several, but here are the ones I have used or am using.

Both of these are great, and I think I've posted some of the graphs from each of these before. I use the Libra one most often now, but I sometimes go back and keep the online one updated because it has weight information from a LONG time back (years). Everyone should use a weight tracker that shows change in averages or a trend line. The raw data is mostly useless for people.
  • KittensMaster
    KittensMaster Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    My BMI says I am obese. Scales and charts are reference points.

That is all.

I'm ok with how I look

Screw some chart

5nc03re1ev9d.jpg