Introduction

Hello everyone, I noticed that this was a new group so I thought maybe everyone should introduce themselves and maybe say a little bit about themselves. My name is Angela Quintana. I am 30 years old and have been married since May 2012. We have been trying for a baby since we've been married and no luck! I was having alot of abdominal pain and abnormal periods (which have never been regular) so I went and got checked out. I found out i had PCOS. All the doctors told me was to try to lose weight, put me on metformin. No other info. So over the years, i've been doing a lot of research on my own and I think I have come to realize that I need to make changes in my life in order to become healthy and possibly have a baby. That's just a little about me, if you want to know more, feel free to ask! Have a great day everyone!

Replies

• TinaMiller6
    TinaMiller6 Posts: 1 Member
    Hi I am Tina and I am new to my fitness pal. I also have PCOS and yes when I was younger it was very difficult to get pregnant. I am now in my very early 50's I had a second baby when I turned 40. The Dr. said she was a midlife baby at that age our hormones all change and it just happened what a blessing she has been. But with all of the life changes also came a lot of weight gain and it is so hard to lose weight. I try to do the calories each day and exercise and I gain 3 lbs. I am at such a loss. I am trying to lose enough weight to go to Disney with my kids and enjoy the rides.. Any ideas?
  • AndyBBBH
    AndyBBBH Posts: 4 Member
    Hi everyone, my name is Andrea, I am 35 years old, married since 2011, tried for a baby for approx. 3 years and finally got pregnant last year and had my baby daughter earlier this year. (There is hope Angela! ;-) )
    I am also suffering from PCOS. I always knew that something was wrong with my hormones - they were all over the place since my teenage years - but I was only officially diagnosed with PCOS 2 years ago. I kinda knew beforehand that I must have it, so it didn't come as a surprise. What I also knew was that my periods would come back once I ate proper healthy unprocessed food - especially loads of veggies! So I did that and got pregnant last year.
    Now I'm unfortunately back to square one. Was a bit too bored being at home with the baby and started overindulging on sweets & chocolate & ice cream, etc, etc..and didn't have time to work out with the baby and all. Gained 15 kg in 5 months (so embarrassing - I knew better!) and with it came all of the lovely PCOS symptoms and a total lack of ovulation. I am on a mission now to get rid of that weight to get PCOS under control again and I am also back on a sugar free diet and will try to go completely gluten free as well this time.
    If any of you want to connect, feel free to pm me or add me as friend. We can do this ladies!
  • tori1212014
    tori1212014 Posts: 51 Member
    Hi I'm Tori, I'm 22 years old and just graduated from college in may. My Dr. diagnosed me with Pre PCOS basically I'm having all of the symptoms, but they caught it early enough that my body hasn't developed cysts and all of my blood work was normal. My mom was diagnosed with PCOS when she was 24 right after she had me. over the past year I put on 40 pounds. I've been on Nutrisystem since I have graduated from college and have lost 47 pounds so far. My doctor told me that it is ok to be on Nutrisystem as long as i pop the frozen food out of the plastic trays and cook it in bpa free cookware as long as I loose weight. Also she prescribed me birth control for my testosterone levels. Then she said that I have to switch over to a Paleo diet. I'm not sure at what point I should switch over to Paleo, but I go back to see her in a month. I'm so confused about what to do since even though my mom has it she's never changed up her diet or anything she just pays no attention to it.
    If anyone wants to talk feel free to pm me or add me.
  • spike90
    spike90 Posts: 704 Member
    edited September 2015
    Hi, my name is Julie (my friends call me "Spike" ...which was a name I got from playing volleyball) and I am 43 years old. I was diagnosed with PCOS in December of 2012 after I just couldn't take the horrible periods and other problems any more and decided it was time to find out what was wrong with me. I had lost about 85 pounds at the time I was diagnosed (which is about 50% of what I needed to lose). Since being put on Springtec to help with the heavy periods (sometimes twice a month and sometimes skipping a month), I have been an emotional roller coaster and have unfortunately returned to the comfort of food. I am pretty much back where I started and just started back on MFP 10 days. I now have about another 150 pounds to lose to get back to my Army weight. I know I will never be that weight again and certainly not have that same tight skin and muscle definition since I have been morbidly obese for about 15 years now and obese for about 20 years. I would like to get as close as I can though and then just let maintenance and time hopefully help with some of the rest. The worse thing for me about having PCOS is that my hair falls out like mad!! I have huge parts in the back of my head and have to wear ponytails or buns every day now (or put in back in a barrette in the correct spot to cover up the balding areas). I use Keratin shampoo, conditioner, and health regrowth treatment spray. It is about $90 a month and doesn't seem to be helping much. I also take Biotin. I am lucky though that I don't have issues with hair on my face or other areas where it doesn't belong. Worse come to worse...I can always wear a wig. I don't have to worry about ovulation issues anymore due to my age and the fact that I now take birth control for the periods. I had my first son at 18 and my second at 25. We did try to have another baby for several years in my mid thirties with no luck. I got pregnant once at age 35 but miscarried. I would have loved to had had a daughter, but I guess it just wasn't in the cards for me. I never dreamed that I had PCOS (heck I never even heard of it back then) and that was probably the culprit. I just figured it was because I was so obese. I am 5'10 and weighed 155 when I had my first son and weighed about 230 when I had my second son. I was between 280 and 300 during the years that I was trying to conceive with a third child. I am glad to see a group for PCOS and you ladies are welcome to add me as a pal :)
  • EidansMom
    EidansMom Posts: 3 Member
    Hi, my name is Tarsha McNeil and I just turned 35 (9/11/2015). I have been married for 3 years and just had my first child this past June...as Andrea said Angela there is hope :-). My husband and I tried to get pregnant for about 1.5 years before it happened. I had been to fertility doctors for about 6-8 months before my mother suggested that I go see her GYN. He put me on Metformin and birth control pills for about 2 months. After my last cycle of the birth control pills, he had me take my Basal Body temp and purchase the ovulation sticks. I was told to ONLY be intimate with my husband when I got the smiley face on the ovulation kit and then again when my temp dropped. It worked like a charm. After that one attempt I was pregnant. My son is the love of my life!!! However, I gained 25lbs and need to loose this weight before I try to get pregnant again. As a PCOS sufferer I know weight plays a role in your ability to have a child and I want my son and his sibling to be close in age. I have started walking (using MapMyWalk) and watching what I eat. I will keep you all updated on my progress. I am currently 184lbs and want to get down to 145-150. I'm 5'4.
  • Primortal228
    Primortal228 Posts: 2 Member
    Hi everyone, I am Rebekah, 27. I am new to myfitnesspal but not to PCOS. I was diagnosed with PCOS in 2006 and consider myself lucky to have two beautiful children. I am now focusing on my health and hoping that this will help with the PCOS symptoms.
  • rmcloughlin22
    rmcloughlin22 Posts: 61 Member
    Hey everyone. My name is Rachel and I'm 28. I was recently diagnosed with PCOS and pre-diabetes. I've been overweight (now obese) for about 4 years and trying to get pregnant about 3 years with my hubby. My fertility doc recommends a low carb or paleo diet. He also prescribed metformin but so far insurance won't approve it. So I'm trying that diet now but it is tough! I love carbs!! lol So I'm focusing on eating more protein, exercising, and losing weight. The PCOS diagnosis seemed like such a terrible thing at first but the more I read about it, it all seems to make sense as to why I couldn't lose weight more easily and why I'm not pregnant yet. As much as it's stinks, it's nice to see other people here who are going through the same thing.
  • goodandgrowing
    goodandgrowing Posts: 1 Member
    edited October 2015
    Hello all! This is my first time posting anything at all... But I'm hoping if I engage more in MFP I'll be more inclined to keep up with it! I am 30 years old and trying to lose about 80 lbs. A little history (which is bound to sound terribly whiny, so apologies in advance): I struggled with an eating disorder in high school, and my recovery relied heavily on keeping a food journal, learning what foods make me feel the best, and exercising. I love feeling healthy and kept those good habits up for many years. In 2007 I went off of BC and started TTC, only to rapidly gain 50 lbs. despite not having changed any of those healthy habits. It was so confusing and frustrating. I had been on BC since I was 16 to alleviate my painful and heavy periods, and it turns out it had been masking many symptoms. I was diagnosed with PCOS and endometriosis at 24, and continued TTC until late 2010, when, after two surgeries and a bad reaction to Clomid that nearly cost me my vision, I knew I was done. My husband and I are now miraculously parents to 4 beautiful children through adoption, and now that my dream of becoming a mother is fulfilled, I am taking the time to focus properly on my health. After gaining so much weight for seemingly no reason, I stopped keeping a food journal. I continued exercising regularly until about 3 years ago when I successfully trained for a 10k and found that after 12 weeks of running and average of 5 miles a day, 5 days a week, I had lost just half a pound. At that point I just sort of threw my hands up and thought "Why bother if it makes no difference?!" Since then I have found myself exercising less and less. After the initial post BC weight gain, I have steadily gained another 30 lbs. over the last 6 years. My husband and I recently tried a Whole30, which helped me lose 12 lbs. In the week following, after reintroducing healthy grains and dairy, it came right back. I am desperate to find something that will reverse this path, and the Whole30 experience has given me hope that paleo living might be my solution. So, here we go! I'm journaling my meals and starting to run again. Sorry this is so long! If anyone wants to share stories as we work to fight PCOS, I am all for it! Anything to feel less along in the fight.
  • catherineh1027
    catherineh1027 Posts: 39 Member
    Hello, my name is Catherine and I was finally diagnosed with PCOS at age 16 after being misdiagnosed with an adrenal issue. I'm now 28 and I'm getting myself back on track after being off birth control for a couple of years. I was on Yazmin from age 16 to age to 23, but I ended up in the ER with upper right quadrant pain. My OB GYN felt it was a result of my gallbladder, and this particular birth control had a high issue of gallbladder disease. A year and a half later, trying multiple brands of birth control, I took myself off completely because of mood swings, spotting, etc . Unfortunately, I had my gallbladder removed December 2014, that was more than likely a result of taking Yazmin for so many years.

I started seeing a new primary care doctor who put me on Metformin. No changes for over a year and I struggled with energy, irregular cycles (at one point over 136 days!), carb cravings and weight gain. When I read about supplements that could be use in combination with Metformin, my primary care doctor was not supportive of me taking something that wasn't FDA. I struggled with this because of the issue of my gallbladder potentially from a FDA approved drug. Frustrating.

I began seeing an integrative medicine doctor in April of this year. I'm now taking Armor (thyroid), NAC, Inositol, fish oil and multivitamin. I'm now more active with walking and I plan to incorporate strength training. My major issue is moderation with portions and carb cravings. I'm going to challenged myself with a lower carb diet that will have most of the intake being from sweet potatoes, squash, etc. I've gotten rid of (I hate saying lost - I'm not trying to find them, again,lol) 18 pounds since the beginning of this year. I still have a bit to go but I'm feeling more hopeful. This disease process that is emotionally draining, and it can really affect body image and emotions. If you want a textbook example of someone with PCOS, I'm it. I hope to meet others and if you'd like please add me. I utilize PCOS Diva and PCOS Diet Support - amazing websites if you haven't used them. It's where I found out about the supplements I'm taking.
  • ktb593
    ktb593 Posts: 22 Member
    Hi there,
    I was just diagnosed with PCOS about a month or so ago (though I have been exhibiting symptoms since I was 16 or so). Symptoms like missed and irregular periods, super heavy periods and horrible cramping, excess hair growth, acne, and weight gain have all had me down for some time. Was on birth control form 13-21 yo but had to go off because of a chronic migraine condition worsened by the use of estrogen in birth control. So now I have an IUD which helped with some of the symptoms, but while i was off birth control by acne problem got horrible and I put on almost 30 pounds. So now I am trying to find a way to take off the pounds... hopefully through a low carb and low processed sugar diet. I would love to meet some people with PCOS to keep motivated to exercise (as I can be horribly lazy when it comes to getting out and exercising) and someone to share recipe and meal ideas with as finding foods that are cheap and low carb seem like it's impossible. My goal is to lose between 25-35 pounds and to get my self back in balance (:
  • newtonsthirdlaw
    newtonsthirdlaw Posts: 6 Member
    Herro! Currently I'm 22 years old and I was diagnosed with PCOS at 16. Thing that made me push to figure out what was wrong with me was I was losing a decent amount of hair. Never really started caring about it till almost a year now. Overall I've lost close to 100 pounds and going to lose 60lbs more. But struggle getting over the hump I'm on now and can tell not much improvement has happened with my PCOS besides now I get regular periods. As of right now I just am trying to make sure I keep motivation with eating clean, working out, and reducing stress/loving myself more!
  • ninjaswan88
    ninjaswan88 Posts: 1 Member
    Hello! I've been struggling with PCOS since I was 15. I have gained over 100 lbs and I'm looking to get control of my condition holistically. I purchased a book about PCOS, written by a doctor. It said the best way to get a hold of PCOS is through the low G.I. diet. If anyone wants feel free to add me.
  • sweetsriracha23
    sweetsriracha23 Posts: 14 Member
    Hi there!

My weight is a lifelong struggle, but I wasn't diagnosed until 2013, when I weighed almost 300 pounds. Currently, I'm in the 210s and trying to get lower. My PCOS symptoms are minimal, thankfully. :)

I'm doing a combination of calorie restriction, low-carb, and hot yoga classes 4-5 times a week. My food diary is open for anyone who would like to add me!
  • anniemcg92
    anniemcg92 Posts: 8 Member
    Hi there! My name's Annie and I've been diagnosed with PCOS since I was 14. I am on birth control and levothyroxine since I have hypothyroid as well. I'm 23 now and struggling to lose weight. I started at 230 and now I weigh 225. It has been five weeks...I'm happy I've lost but I'm only eating 1,300 a day and working out 3x a week so I should have lost more like 8 by now. I haven't lost any weight in 2 weeks, just stayed the same despite doing everything right. It's really discouraging but I'm happy I found this group so I can relate to other women. I have some friends on mfp who lose 2lbs a week and it drives me crazy! Lol Happy for them just wish my body would cooperate...
  • tatyanarosalia
    tatyanarosalia Posts: 2 Member
    Hi everybody,

I'm new to MFP. My boyfriend and I are trying to lose weight together but it seems to be much easier for him to shed the pounds. I was diagnosed with PCOS when I was a teenager and I'm now 24. I've been on metformin and a few different bc pills before but it didn't really help. I've noticed that some of the bc pills caused my period to be too frequent. Another major effect I see daily is hirsutism mainly on my chin and upper lip. It's so annoying to see that and it really causes a lot of insecurity and anxiety. Anyway, I'm happy this group exists. None of my friends have PCOS so it's tough to find someone that understands what we go through on a daily basis.
  • hlcavalieri
    hlcavalieri Posts: 28 Member
    Hi Everyone!
    First off congrats to those making progress and good luck to you who have started your weight loss journey! It is tough, but I think the support from others can really help!
    My name is Heather, I am 28 years old and was diagnosed with PCOS about 5 years ago. I very quickly gained around 50 lbs, and more gradually gained another 35 in the next 4 years. I unfortunately struggle with a lot of the negative side effects of PCOS, aside from weight gain I deal with Hair loss, hair growth (in a ll the wrong places), insulin resistance, irregular menses, and the worst of all Infertility. After nearly 3 years of trying for a family, THAT is what has made me take the leap to better nutrition, and healthier life style! I have decided to STOP making excuses, and not use PCOS as a crutch for my bad habits any longer. I have lost 25 lbs so far, and my goal is another 65 away. WE'VE GOT THIS LADIES. We can do anything we put our minds to!! My goal is to lose enough weight to "hopefully" shock my body into working the way it should be, and getting that positive pregnancy test!
    Good luck to all, and feel free to add me so we can support each other during this journey!! :smile:
  • jennifermrs
    jennifermrs Posts: 1 Member
    Hey, y'all!
    My name is Jennifer. I am a 29 year old who was diagnosed with PCOS over a year ago. I was told that I had polycystic ovaries, but what that meant I had no clue. After going into a depression and doing absolutely nothing about it for over six months including stopping the Glucophage (metformin) and any doctor's visits. Around the summer of 2015 I started researching on Pintrest. After a few months I ordered a book. By November I was still doing nothing, my anxiety and depression were through the roof, I was gaining weight, my sister-in-law (who does my hair) told me my hair was falling out, and again I had missed a period. After seeing a dermatologist for a rash and the first thing he said was he thought I might have PCOS before even noting the rash I knew I needed to do something. By the week we got out for Thanksgiving (I'm a 4th grade teacher BTW!), I decided that I had to get things under control. I cut caffeine and dairy from my diet. I also tried cutting the soy (that is EVERYWHERE), carbs, and gluten while bringing in a ton of healthy proteins. I can proudly say that as of today I am down 5.2 lbs through the Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays. I also went back to the doctor a few days before Christmas and because of its side effects I'm not getting back on Glucophage but I am looking for and endocrinologist. And last, but certainly not least, I have a wonderful husband that has been supporting me through all of this (including accepting that dairy milk will no longer be in our fridge lol). I don't know what I'd do without him. Can't wait to see where 2016 takes us!
  • hlcavalieri
    Hello everyone, I noticed that this was a new group so I thought maybe everyone should introduce themselves and maybe say a little bit about themselves. My name is Angela Quintana. I am 30 years old and have been married since May 2012. We have been trying for a baby since we've been married and no luck! I was having alot of abdominal pain and abnormal periods (which have never been regular) so I went and got checked out. I found out i had PCOS. All the doctors told me was to try to lose weight, put me on metformin. No other info. So over the years, i've been doing a lot of research on my own and I think I have come to realize that I need to make changes in my life in order to become healthy and possibly have a baby. That's just a little about me, if you want to know more, feel free to ask! Have a great day everyone!

I'm sorry you were left in the dark, so to say, when diagnosed with PCOS! No one should be scared or uninformed when diagnosed with a disease! I have had my fair share of experience with PCOS, and have been through several fertility treatments (it sounds like something you may consider in the future?) so if you ever need someone to vent to, or advice, feel free to message me! Good luck with your life change journey!
    Heather :)
  • hlcavalieri
    Herro! Currently I'm 22 years old and I was diagnosed with PCOS at 16. Thing that made me push to figure out what was wrong with me was I was losing a decent amount of hair. Never really started caring about it till almost a year now. Overall I've lost close to 100 pounds and going to lose 60lbs more. But struggle getting over the hump I'm on now and can tell not much improvement has happened with my PCOS besides now I get regular periods. As of right now I just am trying to make sure I keep motivation with eating clean, working out, and reducing stress/loving myself more!

Congrats on your awesome weight loss! Keep up the great work!! :)
    Heather
  • hlcavalieri
    Hi everybody,

I'm new to MFP. My boyfriend and I are trying to lose weight together but it seems to be much easier for him to shed the pounds. I was diagnosed with PCOS when I was a teenager and I'm now 24. I've been on metformin and a few different bc pills before but it didn't really help. I've noticed that some of the bc pills caused my period to be too frequent. Another major effect I see daily is hirsutism mainly on my chin and upper lip. It's so annoying to see that and it really causes a lot of insecurity and anxiety. Anyway, I'm happy this group exists. None of my friends have PCOS so it's tough to find someone that understands what we go through on a daily basis.

Don't men have it made? Mine is losing weight much faster than me as well! We will get there, slow and steady takes the win! PCOS is horrible, I agree it's great to have these support groups! Hirsutism is one of my worst side effects as well. It makes me so insecure, but we have to remember we're beautiful the way we are!! Good luck to you on your weight loss journey, and if you ever need support or someone to vent to, feel free to add me!
    Heather :)